• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think Unova is too small? [ #28 ]

Do you think Unova is too small?

• Yes

Votes: 65 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2013
    I clicked on other, and that would be due to the mixed feelings I have in regards to the size. The routes are fairly large, with some larger towns, but the number of cities and number of routes seems a little low.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Not at all, don't know where people are getting the notion that it's too small. Isn't it just as big/small as previous regions anyway?

Sure Unova has less routes, but the routes are bigger and more vast. Unova is just the right size.

It feels like there are probably people who will vote "yes" regardless of the size just because there is people who always want more on top of what they're given...

AusDon

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I said small, but now opening my DS and actually playing as we speak, it's not too bad.
    I just wish it wasn't so symmetrical. It's an oval with an Entralink in the middle.

But, Black and White are bigger in other ways. It has fully animated pokemon, the dream world, and weird angles. I'm pretty sure the cartridge is 256mb, because Platinum/HGSS were 128mb. (And B/W seems more larger). So, It may even be possible that they ran out of room to add more towns.

Maggazone

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • The Unova Region is to small and they should make another region next to it just like in previous generations

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
  • another thing is route 17 and 18. they're pretty pointless, there isn't any storyline on it and it doesn't need to be passed through to reach there. If i hadn't been looking for certain pokemon i wouldn't even have known it was there.

I have a strong feeling these routes are going to be used extensively in the Genesect/Meloetta/Keldeo events.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • I think the Unova region is significantly smaller than Hoenn and Sinnoh. That's pretty disappointing, honestly. Sure, it's decently sized, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

I don't like the way the cities are arranged, either.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Main main beef with Unova is that it is far too linear imo - no choice in where to go besides the 'hey want to explore route 18 after you get surf?' which isn't much of a choice as it doesn't allow you to take on other gyms before others or the like. The structure of it didn't help in that regard too, and there seems to be a case of not _enough_ water. (when usually one sees people complain Hoenn has too much of the stuff =p).

Size wise it is not too bad, but as someone/some people already said there is a lack of things to do in some places due to a lack of VS seeker or Pokeradar or so forth.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    It's far too small based on the size of the region.

jper5y.jpg

There is a large part of the map that should've been explorable - forest, or not.
    I'm finding it hard to find stuff to do post-game.

Notice how much the envinronments change during the course of the game. Game Freak is trying to compensate for the way they designed Unova.
    If only changes were implemented all over the region, and not only drastically different when Winter.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • The size was probably fine, but the format of the routes and towns made it seem small. I found Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh and Hoenn all felt bigger and longer simply because there was more challenge in figuring out where you had to go.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It might not have been small, but the linear path you have to take and the overall layout make it seem small. I don't like the fact that there's a big dead zone right smack in the middle of it. It doesn't help the region feel any larger.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • I found some areas looking pretty small, but I also felt that Unova was a lot more fleshed out within its towns than a lot of other games. From the cargo and airport in Mistralton to Clay's giant rig and Cold Storage, I don't know, there was a lot of stuff.

But what has me kind of flabbergasted is how little population there is, according to Bulbapedia.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unova

Now that's small. How can a giant city like Castelia only sport 130 people? (Then again, is this based upon people counting each and every character, rather than a realistic picking of people in a town? xP)

LegioN7

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • I hate to say it, but it feels incredibly small, i don't know if its just how fast the pace goes, or what!

I wish they'd add some more areas to explore in the beginning.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • Kanto had far more routes than Unova, so in comparison Unova is much smaller. Considering most of those routes arent even accessible in the main story its kind of a let down.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I quite like it. I like the large routes, which sometimes have roads, but always have another option as well.

Oh, and not visiting all the cities pre-E4? Big bonus. Opelucid City disappointed me...Sunnyshore City is better in my opinion. For me, the biggest disappointment was Dragonspiral Tower...way too small and un-maze-like for me. The graveyard tower was cool though.

I like how the map doesn't make it completely obvious how everything is connected...overall, Unova may have few routes, but many of them are simply not named "Route ??", but instead have proper names - so it's big enough. And, to be honest, I wouldn't have minded if I couldn't get Gen I-IV pokémon at all in the wild, as long as they're still around in the Dream World.

Back