• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think we'll ever get a game with all regions?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    They could add a train or some kind of flying feature between regions in terms of it being too far to walk.

Also for me it would need to be open world and battling gyms would be a side quest and not required to move on.

pkmin3033

...possibly. I think such a game would inevitably disappoint and annoy a lot of people though, because it would almost certainly be a live service title, or worse a F2P one in a similar fashion to Pokemon Go. I can't see Game Freak or anyone else making and releasing a game with all regions in it from the get-go - the amount of work that would require would be staggering, and even if the budget could be found it's really not worth it when they can just keep half-arsing the games and raking in the same kind of money - but I CAN see a game in the style of the current anime being released in the future and frequently updated with free and paid content that consists of other regions and Pokemon. Such a title would be amazing if handled properly, but given the greed and laziness that drives Pokemon and such live service titles forward, I can't see it being the kind of dream that people would think of when they think of a Pokemon title that spans every region.

So it's possible, but let's all hope it's not going to happen.

Years
  • Personally I'm surprised more people don't put more regions into Essentials fangames. I understand keeping them out of GBA games limited to a few MB, but do Essentials games have any restrictions at all?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Personally I'm surprised more people don't put more regions into Essentials fangames. I understand keeping them out of GBA games limited to a few MB, but do Essentials games have any restrictions at all?

It's probably not an issue with the engine restrictions but more about the dilemma on whether it's really beneficial for a game to have multiple regions or does it actually do more harm than good.

At the end, if a game has a rushed half-baked second region because devs started losing motivation or didn't have the time to make it good, players might lose motivation to keep playing as well and will end up with a worse impression on the game than if the game just ended after the Elite Four.

And if your game somehow has two full-fledged, and well designed regions, then why not just make two games instead? A game with two or more regions is harder to balance in regards of general game progression and level curve. Plus relying too much on second regions and post game usually means restricting the player's choices because a lot of the good stuff is "locked behind the post game", and some players would rather want to enjoy and have access to the good stuff at a more reasonable pace.

Years
  • That's the beauty of it... You don't have to balance postgame regions at all, as long as there are some level-scaling scripts. Whip up some teams for the gym leaders with full parties of six if you know the player won't be visiting Kanto or Sinnoh until after he's beaten every major challenge in Nabana or whatever this game's original region is called.

Back