• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use fast-forward playing on emulators?

Shangahyando

The odd one.
Years
  • It makes training a lot easier and faster, also you don't have to deal with mercyless long dialogues and pathways, but kills whole feeling of playing. I don't use it, and how about you?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I do, sometimes. It kills some of the feeling, yes, so mostly it's just when I'm grinding or going through many unimportant trainer battles. I still like to hear the music and you have to turn that off to not implode when you fast-forward :P

In any case, this fits better in Pokémon Gaming Central, so I'm moving the thread there.

-moved

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I used it when playing Emerald on my emulator. It helps to quicken the otherwise slowish pace of training while battling wild Pokemon one after another as well as gets you to places faster than using the running shoes or the bicycle. I do agree that it dampens the gaming experience though, so I try to minimise using it. The problem is that after you get too used to the sped-up pace, the original speed seems too agonisingly slow. Also, when you speed it up, the music gets sped up along with it and transforms into a blur of noise, so I actually never really got to properly hear and appreciate all of Emerald's music. I guess that must've led to me not getting as attached to Emerald as much as other people.

Years
  • I do it sometimes but once you get used to it, it's very difficult to adjust to the normal pace. Nowadays I don't use it.

Years
  • Yes, sometimes I find it hysterical when I speed up. :P I know it's kinda ridiculous, but I still would rather not waste time. That's who I see it as the people it's best for - people that just want to get things done and would rather not waste so much time.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Not always, but when nececarry. When Joey somehow murders you Crocanaw and Eevee on sacred gols...yeah not so much fun.

Years
  • I use the feature quite extensively when playing Pokémon on an emulator. I don't really want to waste hours grinding if I have the opinion to get it all done in a couple of minute.

However, I find it does cause the scale and sense of adventure to be dampened and thus, a less engaging experience.

KawaiiFutureFriend

Friend of the People
    Years
  • All day, every day. The reason why I do this is because I just got used to playing that way. Banz is correct, in all honesty, it's hard to adjust back to normal speed after playing on speed-up forever.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
    Years
  • I play solidly on 2x, 8x when I'm just grinding for levels. Regular speed just seems sluggish and unnecessarily time consuming - for me, 2 times speed is a far more fluid and natural speed for Pokémon, and it doesn't compromise the experience of playing the games at all. Rather, it improves it, because nothing takes an unnecessarily long time. The music doesn't sound too bad, either

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I almost always speed up Pokémon when playing it on an emulator (5-10x on average, depending on the game, and as fast as I can get it to go for battles/any grinding). I figure if I've already played a game through normally on my actual system plenty of times, I don't really need to pay attention to the dialogue. Generally, when I use an emulator, I do it for challenges, and I often want to get through one of those in an evening or two, so I have to speed things up a bit.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    When grinding in the grass: YES YES YES!!!

But it's very addicting and should be used with caution. When you fast forward on every road and even skip what NPC's says to you, then it's gone overboard.

Don't ruin the game for yourself.

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    Considering I only play through Pokémon games on emulators to gif them for tumblr, yes I do fast forward so that I can quickly move on to more gif worthy places in the game.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think the only time I would use Fast Forward is level grinding. I don't think I've skipped anything else in any other pokemon game.

Guest123_x1

I never bother to play my emulated games in 'speed-up', as I prefer to play them at the same speed as if I was playing them on their real intended systems. Not just for Pokémon, but for everything else, too.

Back