• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Does anyone NOT like the Mega Evolution process?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Or at the very least, not like the way it was implemented? I for one did like the new forms at first (except for the Legendary Megas, Legendary Pokemon should be as good as they can be naturally, but that's another discussion) but then upon dissection of the stat boosts, I'm actually finding I don't like the idea behind them. So, for example, Mewtwo who is primarily a special attacker gets one stone that makes it primarily a physical attacker, so you make a physical moveset based around his (comparatively) poor physical attack so you can either mega evolve every single battle or have a hindred attack pokemon for normal battles until you decide to mega evolve. and there are other pokemon that have one set of stats, but when they evolve some other unused stats get a huge boost so you need (or should) get at least one move that utilizes the increased stats, and there's even some pokemon where their strongest stat gets lowered and boosts another stat. So because of that, I don't really like mega evolutions. I'd be fine if it boosted it's already high stats, but when there's some pokemon that need to be trained around a moveset that is built arounds stats that it normally wouldn't have been built around it seems kind of a waste in some instances, and a little pointless in others. What does everyone else think?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I like mega evolutions overall. It's a nice way to breathe new life into some Pokemon, change 'em up a bit. Although, I have mixed feelings about mega evos for some Pokes. Part of me was thinking that mega evos should be reserved for Pokemon who never got a lot of use before/just sucked (like Mawile or Banette). But part of me is ok with stuff like Mewtwo or Tyranitar getting mega evos, because a part of me is like "yes! give me overpowered Pokemon! I want to slaughter the enemy!" Which happens when you play too much Nippon Ichi games.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2013
    Makes me think of steroids really, these mega evos....

But their definitely a change, and change is good. especially for something as old as pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love the mega-evolutions system, to be honest. It reduces couple of your stats a bit and gives boost to a few of your other stats, which, at the end, just makes it easier for you to battle. It's a nice concept, really. So far, my favorite mega-evolution would have to be Mega Charizard Y. It looks decent, and has performs amazingly when it comes to battling. Mega Blastoise is my favorite as well. I've used it in plenty of my battles before; it's an awesome tank. Another of my favorites would have to be Mega Mewtwo X. d:

Years
    I actually like the system a lot. I especially appreciate the megas that change type as it makes competitive battling all the more interesting as you try to predict your opponents next move.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    There are some great Mega Evolutions that flip a Pokemons role into something entirely different, like Charizard Y and MegaMawile - which are both awesome examples of Mega Evolution. But then there are megas like Medicham which are basically just given stats - those types of megas should have just been regular evolutions. Some of the Megas are just a complete waste to use, like Mega Garchomp.

I really like the idea behind megas, but we just weren't given enough that are interesting to use. Using MegaBlaziken doesn't evolve/change your strategy whatsoever, for example, and its boring.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I'm not a fan of Mega-Evolutions either. I have a feeling they can be leveled up the easiest because their BST is so high. Fortunately there are restrictions to using Mega-Evos; such as the inability to use other items, and that you can only choose one Mega-Evo.

I was thinking of a metagame idea where each Pokemon has their base stat totals equal to a certain number (such as 500); but because the mega-evo items change them, the concept of my idea is ruined.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
    i do like some mega evolutions. but i hate fairy type. why not call it light type? fary is an egg group, not a element. why....

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I'm not sure if I like it or not. I've never mega evolved any of my Pokemon, except that Lucario the gym leader gave me. I tried to get through the battle without mega evolving, but to beat her you HAD to use it. >n>
    I just like little tiny baby Pokemon more, mostly. And I want to keep them as cute little babies. Not giant scary monstrous super strong Pokemon. :I
    Plus you can only evolve them during battle, that's what set me off the most, I just don't like that.

Pinta77

Im not sure how I feel about it. I dont hate it. I dont like how similar mega latios and latias are.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    i do like some mega evolutions. but i hate fairy type. why not call it light type? fary is an egg group, not a element. why....

Neither is steel, fighting, normal, poison, ghost, or psychic. Your point is?
    Anyway, I really like how the mega evolutions were implemented. They really add to the strategical element of the game. My only complaint would be about Pokemon such as Blaziken getting them. Do these Pokemon really need any boosts?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    In principle I'm okay with mega evolutions, it's a fun way to make some of the less powerful Pokémon a bit more combat ready and some of them introduce a lot of new concepts, and it's not something that you have to do given how it's optional in each battle that you do. There are a couple things I dislike about it though; partly I dislike that the majority of the mega evolutions currently out are either game breaking or ugly as heck, and partly I dislike the concept of a Pokémon evolving and then regressing back to its previous state like that. One thing that always made me prefer Pokémon to Digimon was how the evolutions were permanent, showing the Pokémon's power has grown enough to progress to stronger form rather than it being a temporary surge of growth, but I guess there's a limit to how many times they should permanently change forms haha.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I dont like how similar mega latios and latias are.

We don't even know if those things are actually real yet. I'm inclined to believe that Hoopa, Diancie, and Volcanion are real, but not so much the Lati mega evos.

I also think Mega Evolution is a misleading term. Its not really an evolution (not like Pokemon evolution is the same as evolution in real life), its more of a temporary form change accompainied by a power boost.

Years
    I'm not bothered by them. I don't hate them, but it would make absolutely no difference to me if they weren't in the game. I rarely bother to use them even though I have two in my in game team.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
    Neither is steel, fighting, normal, poison, ghost, or psychic. Your point is?
    Anyway, I really like how the mega evolutions were implemented. They really add to the strategical element of the game. My only complaint would be about Pokemon such as Blaziken getting them. Do these Pokemon really need any boosts?

steel and poison are elements of nature, whereas ghost, fighting, normal, and psychic are elements of human nature. fairy is neither human nor is it of nature. its an egg group turned into a type. but, nonetheless, I agree with starters. they don't need megas, they are powerful enough as is.

Years
    I really enjoy the mega evolution process.. I mean the animation is pretty well done, and it definitely gives your Pokémon more advantage if you can mega-evolve it.. the only thing I do not like about it though is that you can only use your mega ring once per battle, and if the mega-evolved Pokémon faints but is brought back, it's brought back in its normal forme and you cannot mega-evolve it.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    To be honest, before X and Y were released, I thought it was a terrible idea. However, I've really grown to like mega evolution, but a majority of Pokemon who got mega evolutions didn't need them. Scizor, Alakazam, and etc are some examples. Also, I just don't get why Mewtwo got a mega evo, it's already pretty powerful. I hope in the future more obscure and less powerful pokemon, like Tropius or Xatu, get megas.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I really like the mega evolution system in game, but not as much for online competitive play. The mega evolutions just make some of the pokemon too powerful like kangashkan or even Blaziken and scizor imo. I like how GameFreak implemented the system, it really made the game unique and I hope to see some more mega evolutions in the future. I would like to see like a mega Volcarona or Hitmontop or mega Beartic. I think those would be cool mega evos.

Back