• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does Gamefreak think about the movesets they give to the eleie four, champions' and t

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Does Gamefreak think about the movesets they give to the eleie four, champions' and the 8th gym leader's pokemon?
    I.e Zurizuki with SAND ATTACK! o_o

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Don't know what that is....but I'm guessing yes....

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lance#First_Battle_2
    In that and the one below, minus Hyper Beam, he has pretty good moves...and he's quite a bit stronger than any of your pokémon would be, so Hyper Beam is quite good....

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cynthia#Battle_one_.28pre-National_Pok.C3.A9dex.29
    Except Giga Impact, Cynthia's team have brilliant movepools....honestly, they're brilliant by in-game standards, and put up a really good fight. Also, unless you predict it right an block Giga Impact with something with a 4x resist, it's probably going to kill you.

So, overall, I think they definitely do think about movesets.....on another note, every single member of Cynthia's team has has an IV of 31 in every stat.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    As a matter of fact, GF does put some thought into the E4/Champion's movesets. This is done to add to the difficulty of challenging them. For instance, Renbu's Toxicroak (post-National Dex) uses Toxic so that the power of its Venom Shock doubles. Another example is when the Pokemon has moves of different types (like Shikimi's Burungel and Desukan).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yeah, I would say they do - at times there are some questionable moves, but a lot of the movesets for the harder trainers make sense or are even quite clever. Another instance that comes to mind is a HGSS' gym leader's (upon rematching) Swellow which had the Flame Orb/Protect/Facade movset, if memory serves.

Of course, with sand attack, if the trainer opts to use hax then it'd actually be quite the annoying move if you keep missing. >_<

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The Elite Four definitely do, as they have some tricky moves that caught me off guard the first time I faced them

The Gym Leaders, not so much, at least not as carefully planned as the Elite Four. I mean, Volkner in Platinum had Quick Attack on three of his Pokemon, including two Special Attackers with good speed to begin with. But at least their rematch teams show some semblance of advance planning.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I thought the gen V E4 had good movesets, like Shikimi's Shinpora. It was murdering me. Then again, I went straight into the E4 without healing and with hardly any healing items, so maybe that's just my own fault.

RSE E4 had the worst movesets though, I don't think they thought those through at all. But like everyone else has said, there are some people in the game like Cynthia where you just know they put thought into it.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Whoever thinks Cynthia was super easy to beat is smoking something that I WISH I could afford. Cynthia rapes me. Everytime. Without fail. Period.
    But mainly, most people seem to think they're weak because the people raping the E4 are over leveled with every type advantage known to man. If you keep them at same level with the E4 or even one level lower, they're harder than you think. Lots.
    ._____."

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    I'm sure they always put some thought into the sets. I've seen many decently thought-out sets that can catch some lesser-experienced players off guard if they are not aware of the opponent's pokemon's available moves and abilities. I remember the first time playing through Ruby. I got to Steven, and had no idea that Skarmory could use Spikes. Throughout the match, it was something I kept forgetting about because I also had to stay concerned about my Blaziken's HP. Every time I switched out to something else cover for Blaziken while I healed it, Spikes took out some HP, and sometimes even KO'ed the weak pokemon that I had.
    On a side-note, Sand-Attack can and always has been annoying, at least for me. Especially if the pokemon is faster than you.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    In RSE, not really, but in later generations. YES! except for maybe like the first one or two gym leaders. Plus your Rival is usually more skilled than the average trainer.

Years
    The gym leaders have their good and bad moments.
    Just like your rival, elite 4 and wild pokemon as well.
    I think for the most part, it's all just a matter of chance what attacks get thrown at you from the moveset GameFreak gives them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    Nowerdays (since D/P/Pl) they think of there movesets. I just Remember how i killed Steven in R/S/E just with my level 58 Sumpex (aafter this 62), cause i was training my second Team withc died to the Dragon Tamer right before him.

Back