• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Does having the 3D on enhance the gameplay experience?

Do you normally play with the 3D on or off?

• On

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Off

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • I play on a 2DS

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I would use it, if it didn't make the framerate drop like a rock. The 3D kinda falls short on that aspect, which makes me kinda sad.

I was wondering if someone else was going to mention this. I don't really get dizzy from it like some of you, but man does it make the game look choppy. I can't play like that.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I wish there was more 3D support in the games, however that is not my biggest concern/what I want the most. have a game with more cool 3D features would be cool, but solid gameplay (which the games have) is top priority imo. That and the cool Pokemon ofc. I use the 3D sometimes because I like how the game looks with it on, but most of the time I forget to turn the 3D on and jsut play with it on the 2D mode.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • I actually always forget about the 3D function because of how mine is always turned off. Needless to say, I rarely ever play Pokemon - or any games, really - with the extra effects because of the slight eye strain it puts on me. It's a great touch that some parts genuinely do look nice in, but overall, I never use it.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I just get a splitting headache as soon as I budge the slider up even slightly so no thanks!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I keep it off. I tried it when I first got it, but it just makes my eyes and head hurt. I turn it on from time to time, playing with the slider, but I always turn it right back off. Not to mention I am not a big fan of 3D effects. Especially after watching Spy Kids 3D Game Over, which gave me a massive headache.

I bought my 3DS right before 2DS had come out and I had no idea they were making them. I wish I had waited, but I wanted to get a 3DS for Pokemon X and Y before they came out.

I would by a 2DS and I do plan to buy one in time, but once you go XL, there is no going back to normal size. Especially when computers, tvs, phones, and the like have large screens now.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I don't even have 3D turned on for any game.
    Was really cool to see it in action in the beginning but after the "oooh! aaah! 3D!" moment it became pointless.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I almost always play with the 3D turned off, but usually when I'm playing a new game for the first time I'll play with the 3D on just to get the full effect. That doesn't really last long, though :p

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Not really. I play with it off most of the times. I turn it on during some key battles just to see the depth but it makes my head hurt when I use it.

Plus, I don't see any additional enjoyment when I use it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2021
    Not really. I only use the 3d if the scenery is reallllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy impressive

GlitchyShadowZ

Great Supremacy Of The Garchomp Legion
    Years
  • I think the 3d Fuction is fine and stuff, Also in the Elite 4 (Where u can actually walk around w/ 3D)
    But the thing is, Its get a little laggy, which is kinda sad so I have to turn it off :/

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    I forgot the 3DS even does 3D most of the time (I know how stupid that sounds but it is true) At first I thought it was cool but after a bit I grew tired of it

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2017
    I never use it in battles, and I only use in places like the Elite 4, where its kinda pretty. Besides that, its usually more distracting and annoying, since its hard to get the right angle so there's not two copies of the sprites.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Hoping Z comes with New 3DS support — bringing to it 3D all the way through. Doesn't bode well when a flagship series for Nintendo's handhelds doesn't support the features the platform offers.

So I keep it off almost every play through. I don't even feel like they bothered really maki use of 3D — nothing pops out, very few areas make use of depth... Yeah.

Overclocking is only a minor performance boost - the unchanged GPU is still bottlenecking the game. It might perform a little better if the game was properly optimised for multiple cores over a very fast single core game, but it's 2016 and we have to get used to a lot more high profile games choosing visual quality and stability over 3D.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Overclocking is only a minor performance boost - the unchanged GPU is still bottlenecking the game. It might perform a little better if the game was properly optimised for multiple cores over a very fast single core game, but it's 2016 and we have to get used to a lot more high profile games choosing visual quality and stability over 3D.

Plenty of 3DS games are able to run in full 3D at a pretty constant 60FPS. Game Freak just doesn't really know how to optimise their code well.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The game uses very detailed models for the target system. It's pushing a large triangle count in multi battles and complex Pokemon.
    Like I said, quite a few more big-name 3DS games are coming out now that also disable the 3D and have worse performance on original 3DS/2DS models.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    There are two questions being asked here, so I'll answer them separately.

Does having the 3D on enhance the gameplay experience?

Yes. It enhances it in a subtle way. I'm glad it's not drastic.

Do you normally play with the 3D on or off?
    Most of the time, I'll play with it off. However, sometimes I'll just flip it on and play that way. I can go either way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I play all my 3ds games with the 3d on except for pokemon because it destroys the frame rate.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
  • Like in XY, 3D only really occurs in battles, aside from certain areas that were graced with the 3D capability. It doesn't really add a whole lot in this, partially because the whole game is top down, and doesn't have any sort of dynamic verticality.

Back