• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does Pokemon appeal to people with ADD/ADHD and those on the Autism spectrum?

Do you have either of these disorders?

• Yes, I have ADD/ADHD

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes, I have Aspergers Autism

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No, but I have a different neurological disorder.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, I have no neurological disorders.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    I am doing a little study for an article I'd like to write. I want find out what video game series, if any in particular, are most enjoyed by those with ADD/ADHD or Aspergers Autism. I myself am diagnosed with ADD and as such, I also know many others with the disorder. Most of us play Pokemon, and so this is where I am starting. I will start polls just like this on other forums dedicated to other video games soon. Please feel free to discuss this topic as you give me your answers. If you are not comfortable making your diagnosis public, simply cast your vote without making a post. No one has to know if you don't want them to.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    I don't have either, however, I have mild epilepsy. However, some of my Pokemon-playing friends do have ADD/ADHD. I don't think that there is a direct correlation between playing Pokemon and having a neurological disorder.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I can't speak for ADHD or ADD because they're not really my forte, but as for autism and Asperger's, I would say I think it's a good game for it, because it's so customizable. Satoshi Tajiri actually has Asperger's, if I'm not mistaken, so in that case, it's nearly perfect. Plus, if you notice around the forum, there are quite a few people here that play Pokemon and enjoy it that also have autism or Asperger's. So I stand by that I think it's a good game for those who have it, though I think it's good for anyone really, as long as you like it and have interest in it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Satoshi Tajiri, one of the creators of Pokemon and the driving force behind it, has Asperger's. I'm not sure if this is relevant to people's interest but it's a fun fact to know.

Although I wouldn't argue that Pokemon is particularly more interesting to people with these disorders than other video games, in general. I know that's true for some people, but I don't think there's anything inherent in Pokemon that makes it appealing to every person that has these disorders, or even most.

Not to say it's uninteresting to them either, just that it's as interesting or not interesting as it is to people without the disorder.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    Unless your obsession is with animals, I'm afraid that it's exactly the same as everyone else cx

Honestly, being a kid with mental issues, any sort of rpg in general is fun. It relies mostly on skill and not reactions, and they never judge us.

Video games in general, not just Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2020
    I'm autistic but I pretty much only like Pokemon Gold and that's it.
    I can't stop playing it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I hugely object to the usage of the term 'sufferers'; it's really actually very rude. We don't suffer any more or less because of not being neurotypical. Many of us have a very good quality of life, thank you. And for those who don't, it is oftentimes not a result of them being on the spectrum. Even if you are a non-neurotypical, 'suffer' is never a term you should put to that.

As a side note, I do believe ADHD and ADD are overdiagnosed. But that is neither here nor there at the moment.

To answer the topic properly, though, I think it does appeal to us. Not sure why. But I'm an Aspie and have always had quite the Pokémon obsession. My stepbrothers are all on the spectrum and all love Pokémon. The animé, games, manga, cards. We adore it.

However, I'm also not sure it appeals to people on the spectrum more than people off it. Aspies and Autistic people tend to be more single-minded about things and therefore I think the interest is more noticeable when compared to neurotypicals. But it does very much depend on the individual, no matter what their mental status.

Last edited:

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    anna, autism is also over-diagnosed. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell who does and does not exhibit actual symptoms of either. I'm sorry if the term "sufferer" offends you, but frankly, that's a personal problem as "sufferer" IS the medical term for anyone who is diagnosed with any disorder. As I mentioned in my original post, I have ADD myself. I suffer from its effects. By definition, that just means that the effects of the disorder have an effect on my performance at various things. That doesn't mean it makes me unhappy. I think you're only offended because you took my words out of their context.

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading your responses and hope that you'll all continue to discuss the subject. I'll check back later to see the poll results and read some more opinions.

Years
    I am autistic and I still play Pokemon. I love it.

I do think that they made Pokemon appeal to those with autism cos it's pretty interactive and fun not to mention Satoshi Tajiri himself has Aspergers.

I actually have more fun playing Pokemon than any other game.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    For those of you wondering, I chose both ADHD and Autism because they are fairly similar and share a lot of symptoms. Interestingly, they both effect the same area of the brain as well.

TickleTot

Shiny ruler
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2020
    I have adhd and other things, Ive always liked pokemon, pokemon pearl/diamond was one of my favorites i couldn't stop playing them.

Years
    While I think this is a good discussion thread, it also hasn't been posted in for over 4 years now. If you're interested in discussing it further, feel free to make a new thread instead!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back