• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doesn't anyone care for Greninja?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
  • I couldn't care less about Greninja. Not even my favourite Kalos starter let alone my #1 favourite Pokemon of all time. Haven't used Greninja in any Pokémon game for years, and I don't think I've ever played as Greninja in Smash Bros either.

Years
  • I mean...
    It did just win the most popular Pokémon this year, so, y'know...

But on the other hand, a Pokémon with a cool design was outright let down by:

1. The fact it was special (Battle Bond) in a way no other starter has been. This is just pure stupidity.
    2. It got the best hidden ability of any starter, Protean, which by the way is game-breaking in terms of STAB and type advantages. Cinderace got the same hidden ability with a different name, so that sucks as well, as it is unbalanced and unfair (it is pure favouritism).
    3. Ash ruined it by taking a cool Pokémon, and using his chosen one magic to make it an overpowered monster. It won against the champion's ace, Gardevoir, who had a type advantage if it used fairy moves. And then lost against Alain's Charizard in which it was rigged towards Greninja in the first place! And then the Greninja was the key to saving the world, of course!
    4. It got two signatures, Water Shuriken and Mat Block, which again is unfair. Similarly, Cinderace also got two: Court Change and Pyroball.
    5. It got the best BST and Movepool to let it abuse Protean.

Anything else I missed as to why it is unfair?

It sucks that my favourite starter and one of my top 6 got ruined. Because of the fact that Greninja got overpowered, it meant that it is seen as unfair, uncool or cliché to like the Pokémon or use it in your team. This is just wrong in my opinion. Same for Lucario and Zoroark and Noivern and so on- their insane coolness and over-popularity made them stop being *your* favourite Pokémon, because they are everyone's favourite! You wonder why they bother making Pokés like Grubbin or Mr Rime if they know no-one will like them and clearly go for the only cool Pokémon from that Gen.

KingsOftheSummit

King of the known land, tactician of war
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I think Greninja is mid tier when it comes to starters, with others being top tier and some being lower than him haha

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    I liked it during Gen VI, but I don't have much of an opinion on it now. Maybe it's a manner of taste changing or I just don't care anymore :b

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Greninja tried a bit too hard to be cool, but it was more unique and interesting than others who did that, like Lucario. I like it overall, but it's not one of my listed favs.

Back