• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] Don't sleep on the Pokémon Adventures manga

Years
  • I really forgot about the manga side of the franchise till watching a couple videos on them. I remember reading the Red/Green/Blue ones just a bit as a kid, but never really got further into it than that. After watching a few videos on YouTube I truly want to say not to sleep on the manga. I think it's up there with the games, maybe even moreso IMO.

The old chit chat thread has ran it's course, and so just felt like maybe having people give their views on the manga. What do you like or dislike about? Favorite moments or characters?

I am also just finding more ways to get into the franchise outside of the video games and exploring the various different chapters and such of this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I can go into much more detail when I'm not still half asleep and on mobile, but yes, read the manga! It's called Pokémon Special (pokespe for short) or Pokémon Adventures depending on where you acquire it essentially :p back in the day there weren't many official English translations yet so we made do with fan scanlations which often kept the PokeSpe name.

I've read all arcs up until Platinum and started HGSS but don't recall finishing it. I also started BW but didn't finish it either even though it was quite interesting - White is a fun char haha.

The Kanto and Johto arcs at the start take a lot of creative liberties that set them apart from both the anime and games and really make them come alive. RS and FRLG and especially Emerald arcs began adhering a little bit more to the game rules (although we know certain dramatic freedoms RS takes lmao) and the Sinnoh arc is quite game-canonical except for more vivid characters iirc. They're still all fantastic reads. I'll rant about the characters some other time haha.

I really should finish the arcs I didn't yet c: I wanna read about the mysterious BW2 protags and see what the Kalos and Alola ones are even like.

Years
  • I can go into much more detail when I'm not still half asleep and on mobile, but yes, read the manga! It's called Pokémon Special (pokespe for short) or Pokémon Adventures depending on where you acquire it essentially :p back in the day there weren't many official English translations yet so we made do with fan scanlations which often kept the PokeSpe name.

I've read all arcs up until Platinum and started HGSS but don't recall finishing it. I also started BW but didn't finish it either even though it was quite interesting - White is a fun char haha.

The Kanto and Johto arcs at the start take a lot of creative liberties that set them apart from both the anime and games and really make them come alive. RS and FRLG and especially Emerald arcs began adhering a little bit more to the game rules (although we know certain dramatic freedoms RS takes lmao) and the Sinnoh arc is quite game-canonical except for more vivid characters iirc. They're still all fantastic reads. I'll rant about the characters some other time haha.

I really should finish the arcs I didn't yet c: I wanna read about the mysterious BW2 protags and see what the Kalos and Alola ones are even like.

It's for sure quite interesting, and so glad channels on YouTube are talking more about the manga outside of "Arbok is split in half XD" and some other moments back in the early days of the manga.

Here's some videos I watched for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1akUbDS4a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NkU9RNBjc

I actually don't wish to buy them physically, but rather digitally. I have no space in my room for them at all. I don't think they sell the sets digitally though.

Years
  • The manga Is great I've read up to the beginning of x and y wish the anime followed the manga would be way better

I have heard the Black and White manga is pretty good. I am sure I'll pick these up officially sometime! I just will likely be reading em digitally though. No room in my room for manga.

Years
  • I have heard the Black and White manga is pretty good. I am sure I'll pick these up officially sometime! I just will likely be reading em digitally though. No room in my room for manga.

I read them digitally as well and yeah black and white is good and b2w2 did find diamond and pearl hard to get into tho

Years
  • I read them digitally as well and yeah black and white is good and b2w2 did find diamond and pearl hard to get into tho

Ohh? Why is that? I was into the anime for a while till the ending of D&P. It shouldn't be too hard to pick back up on that side of the franchise...but anyway... What did you not like about it?

Years
  • Ohh? Why is that? I was into the anime for a while till the ending of D&P. It shouldn't be too hard to pick back up on that side of the franchise...but anyway... What did you not like about it?

I dunno just the story wasn't as good as the previous at that point I think it was the characters and the way it was written , but it did get good towards the end had the same issue with emerald, its just a personal preference you may like it yourself, rby was brilliant, gsc same, Ruby and sapphire was prob my favourite after rby, leaf green and fire red was really good, emerald was a bit boring and it was focused on the battle frontier, diamond pearl and platinum was good towards the end, heart gold and soul silver were good as well, black and white and black and white 2were good, one thing I did like was how they linked the stories together one way or another

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • This is my collection:

Don't sleep on the Pokémon Adventures manga

I like the art style and Red and Green were good characters.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I love Pokemon Adventures. I've read every single series thus far except Sword/Shield. I really wish there'd be more done with the manga as it feels the most canon of any I've read. I definitely don't especially lean towards any arc as my favorite, by the way, all of them are just really good.

One of my favorite moments in the manga was in the RS chapter where Ruby and Sapphire admitted to eachother they liked one another (I hate how Viz changed it to a "crush" btw like no LMFAO it's clearly more than a "crush"). The RS arc was just really good and I enjoyed it so much.

I don't think there was any particular arc I disliked. RB was a little too short, though, but the story in that one was just quick and simple, so it didn't need to be very long.

Sort of a tangent for this next part of my post, but:

I've read some of the other Pokemon manga by the way, but they're not as good? Magical Pokemon Journey was cute, and I loved that one, but it didn't have a whole lot going for it? Was mostly just a manga with Pokemon and was slice of life. It was nice seeing a manga that wasn't about battling, but I don't think I'd care much if I read the whole thing now.

I definitely agree by the way that more people should read Pokemon Adventures, it's the only Pokemon manga that's still going, if I recall correctly.

Years
  • I really liked the Kanto saga and it was the only saga I've fully read up until now - the story was really good and all the characters were likeable and interesting in their own ways. Slooowly been reading the Johto saga with Gold but hardly very far yet. Keep saying I'll catch up but then I just end up being as slow as usual. ;w;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really liked the Kanto saga and it was the only saga I've fully read up until now - the story was really good and all the characters were likeable and interesting in their own ways. Slooowly been reading the Johto saga with Gold but hardly very far yet. Keep saying I'll catch up but then I just end up being as slow as usual. ;w;

omg Janna pls, the GSC arc is even better than Kanto! And the RS arc is aaaaaa amazing. You've got to at least finish RubySapphire arc :3

Back