• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Down Under: Ground-type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Preferred username: Darko
Partner Pokémon: Mamoswine

Favorite Ground type move:
Well the obvious choice is earthquake because it's the most powerful ground type move in the game! Not to mention the 100 accuracy is handy too! After 5th gen when all tms were of unlimited use, I just though all my pokemon earthquake because most pokemon can learn it!

Why do you like ground-type Pokemon?

Almost all Ground types are heavy physical attackers with great bulk. It's handy to have one during a playthrough and in competitive battling. That resistance to electric is awesome too!!

Which Ground type has the best design?

Thats a tough one! All of them portray that whole "ima tough guy" look. I would say Gliscor or steelix. They have that menacing yet cool aura about them!

Welcome to the club! I really like Mamoswine and its pre-evolutions, they're just so strong and they've got so much power on their side. I also liked how the evolution methods were unique. Swinub is just such a cutie though, especially in the anime. Just eating greedily away like a pig! Well I guess thats how it got its name, swine because its a pig and add on nub, (since it is the cutest nub I've ever seen). <3;

Overall though the Swinub family have always been amongst my favourites. I really liked how the unlimited TM feature was introduced in Gen V, although this made it harder to obtain them, it was really worth it. I think I chucked Earthquake on whatever I could find, since it was such a beast of a move. I completely agree though! Ground types are dangerous when it comes to attacking and they've got so much bulk on their side. The immunity to Electric, one of the harder-hitting types is also really convenient. In general I think they're really unique. Welcome though! :)

Also might as well throw on a new topic:

What sort of ground-type Pokemon would you like to see introduced in X/Y?

Years
It's been ages since I joined a Ground-type club so why not?

Preferred username: Hikari
Partner Pokémon: Excadrill

Answer the current topic: I have to admit the best-designed Ground-types would have to be the Drilbur and Sandile lines. They all look so awesome and I do have to admit they scream badass in looks as well. 5th Gen had some pretty damn strong Ground-types that had an awesome appearance to boot. Garchomp was no exception either, I loved how amazing this thing is in battle!

Favorite Ground-type move: Earthquake, mainly due to its wide distribution as a TM, it's learnable by almost every Ground-type out there and even a few other strong Pokemon. It's my favorite Ground-type attack of choice!

Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon?: Because they are strong and have really awesome designs, plus most can learn Rock moves to deal with Flying-types. Also sandstorm teams make them even more threatening.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username: Darko
Partner Pokémon: Mamoswine

Favorite Ground type move:
Well the obvious choice is earthquake because it's the most powerful ground type move in the game! Not to mention the 100 accuracy is handy too! After 5th gen when all tms were of unlimited use, I just though all my pokemon earthquake because most pokemon can learn it!

Why do you like ground-type Pokemon?

Almost all Ground types are heavy physical attackers with great bulk. It's handy to have one during a playthrough and in competitive battling. That resistance to electric is awesome too!!

Which Ground type has the best design?

Thats a tough one! All of them portray that whole "ima tough guy" look. I would say Gliscor or steelix. They have that menacing yet cool aura about them!

Welcome to the club. Mamoswine's a good choice, big scary mammoth with alot of Ice and Ground power. Earthquake is really powerful and my favorite Ground move next to Fissure. I love their resistance to Electric attacks and their powerful nature too. If I were to have a Ground-type in my party, it'd be Nidoking and Steelix. Speaking of Steelix, he and Gliscor are awesome in design and their move pools.

It's been ages since I joined a Ground-type club so why not?

Preferred username: Hikari
Partner Pokémon: Excadrill

Answer the current topic: I have to admit the best-designed Ground-types would have to be the Drilbur and Sandile lines. They all look so awesome and I do have to admit they scream badass in looks as well. 5th Gen had some pretty damn strong Ground-types that had an awesome appearance to boot. Garchomp was no exception either, I loved how amazing this thing is in battle!

Favorite Ground-type move: Earthquake, mainly due to its wide distribution as a TM, it's learnable by almost every Ground-type out there and even a few other strong Pokemon. It's my favorite Ground-type attack of choice!

Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon?: Because they are strong and have really awesome designs, plus most can learn Rock moves to deal with Flying-types. Also sandstorm teams make them even more threatening.

Welcome to the club. Excadrill is a good choice. It's immune to Poison upon evolving from Drilbur and has exceptional speed and power. Sandile's line is cool, loved them in the anime with how they look and how much stamina and strength they have. Garchomp probably has the most endurance and power of any Ground-type I've seen, especially Cynthia's Garchomp in the anime. Earthquake again. Such a powerful move. I like that they can use Rock moves to their advantage too, since Ground attacks can't hit Flying-types. Sandstorm was a pain to be up against in battle, unless you were on the giving side of it and not the receiving side. Loved when I used it in Pokémon Stadium 2, the effects were awesome.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I know it's a bit cliché, but I'd love to see a Ground type squirrel Pokémon in Gen VI. Now this isn't just because I adore squirrels - it would be the new member of the Sandshrew/Drilbur group. It'd be a squirrel that relies in diving under ground and back up at the blink of an eye, lightning fast and jumping out of the ground to strike his foes before hiding back under again. I can even imagine a design for him, he'd be a dark green with a cheeky face and some beyond razor sharp claws/teeth. What do you guys think about this kind of concept? I think it'd easily be one of my favourites haha.

dannidarko

Danni Darko
Years
I know it's a bit cliché, but I'd love to see a Ground type squirrel Pokémon in Gen VI. Now this isn't just because I adore squirrels - it would be the new member of the Sandshrew/Drilbur group. It'd be a squirrel that relies in diving under ground and back up at the blink of an eye, lightning fast and jumping out of the ground to strike his foes before hiding back under again. I can even imagine a design for him, he'd be a dark green with a cheeky face and some beyond razor sharp claws/teeth. What do you guys think about this kind of concept? I think it'd easily be one of my favourites haha.

Haha that's pretty cool! It's true that ground types need more cute pokemon! We have the likes of diglett and phanpy but squirrels are cute so they should be included too!! I always thought that pachirisu should get a evo in gen 6 (always thought it should be electric ground too).

Apart from that think there should be more dual types involving ground types. A ground fighting is badly needed!! More ground steels should be added too!!

On a side note the title of this thread is "Down under:ground type Pokemon fan club", is that an unintentional pun for Austrailia, is everyone here from there? lol

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Haha that's pretty cool! It's true that ground types need more cute pokemon! We have the likes of diglett and phanpy but squirrels are cute so they should be included too!! I always thought that pachirisu should get a evo in gen 6 (always thought it should be electric ground too).

Apart from that think there should be more dual types involving ground types. A ground fighting is badly needed!! More ground steels should be added too!!

On a side note the title of this thread is "Down under:ground type Pokemon fan club", is that an unintentional pun for Austrailia, is everyone here from there? lol

Ground/Fighting would be awesome. "Down Under" was the only Ground-related name I could come up with, but I had Australia on my mind when I came up with the name. I'm from the US by the way.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Sorry that I have not tended to my Ground-type club, been very busy with real-life issues. Don't hesitate to join or bring up another discussion, I check back in from time to time.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Okay I think this club needs a kickstart in a new topic!

If you could transform into a ground-type, what Pokemon would you be and why?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Wooper, so I could swim and cling to surfaces with my slimy body (as Wooper did in the anime)

Ooh Wooper is certainly an interesting choice! It'd be fun being able to walk on land while easily being able to swim and cling to surfaces. Sounds badass. As for me, I honestly think I'd like to be a Gligar. Roaming the skies while picking prey off the ground would be a neat way of survival. While sleeping upside down isn't the greatest thought, it'd be easy for me to survive- just scoop up fish, pick plants and then I can do whatever I want from dawn to dusk. Plus being small has its advantages! You can easily hide, get away faster and so forth. Being a Gligar would be pretty cool!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Ooh Wooper is certainly an interesting choice! It'd be fun being able to walk on land while easily being able to swim and cling to surfaces. Sounds badass. As for me, I honestly think I'd like to be a Gligar. Roaming the skies while picking prey off the ground would be a neat way of survival. While sleeping upside down isn't the greatest thought, it'd be easy for me to survive- just scoop up fish, pick plants and then I can do whatever I want from dawn to dusk. Plus being small has its advantages! You can easily hide, get away faster and so forth. Being a Gligar would be pretty cool!

Bad part about being a Wooper is that I evolve into a Pokémon that carelessly swims and hits its head on rocks and boat hulls. :(

Gligar is a nice choice. Sorely underrated and evolves into a more powerful, more devious Pokémon named Gliscor. I liked Gligar's type combination and how it's immune to Electric attacks despite being part Flying. I have always had a dream of being able to fly. Sometimes I dream about flying but wake up to find that I'm still on the ground. :/ Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to soar and glide like a Gligar or other Flying-type.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Bad part about being a Wooper is that I evolve into a Pokémon that carelessly swims and hits its head on rocks and boat hulls. :(

Gligar is a nice choice. Sorely underrated and evolves into a more powerful, more devious Pokémon named Gliscor. I liked Gligar's type combination and how it's immune to Electric attacks despite being part Flying. I have always had a dream of being able to fly. Sometimes I dream about flying but wake up to find that I'm still on the ground. :/ Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to soar and glide like a Gligar or other Flying-type.

Yeah while that is unfortunate, at least Quagsire has some arms! It could probably also easily cushion its fall. But its clumsy nature is certainly fitting to its Dream World ability, Unaware. Just an observation. I think they intended to make it have an ability that's similar to its Pokedex Entry. Nevertheless its very fitting since Quagsire just appears to be a happy, little blob that minds its own business and doesn't care about the world around it. It'll just keep swimming. Like Dory. (yaaaay references <3)

I've always thought about flying too. It'd be pretty spectacular and its probably the reason why I'm jealous of birds or animals that have the ability to fly. Not only are a majority of them rather agile, small and beautiful design-wise, they can just go up up and away any time they like without paying their entire wallet in the process. Being a bird would be a cool life but the thought of eating worms is mildly disturbing. Snails are okay but worms, really? Kind of a horrifying thought. :I

Hmm I've just had another thought though. Is ground/flying logically possible? I mean... you're either off the ground like a bird or your feet are firmly placed on it. Yes you can have both but I think its rather odd, since they're kind of opposites to each other. Nevertheless we have water/electric which naturally doesn't go well together and can end with horrible results. (Think electrical toasters in a water-filled bathtub!)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I have always had a dream of being able to fly. Sometimes I dream about flying but wake up to find that I'm still on the ground. :/ Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to soar and glide like a Gligar or other Flying-type.
I think you're in the wrong club for this! ;)

I do adore Gligar and Gliscor's typing - I always figured it would be Ground/Poison when I first saw it (scorpion, eh?) but the Ground/Flying alternative is a lot more fun. It's a shame about the Ice weakness but the Electric immunity is much appreciated and the Rock resistance is a help too. Their powerful Earthquake is certainly a force to be reckoned with and it takes a heck of a lot to take this bulky Ground-type down, plus they look kind of like Dracula which is always cool, so I'll always love the Gligar family. An all-time Ground favourite of mine haha.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I think you're in the wrong club for this! ;)

I do adore Gligar and Gliscor's typing - I always figured it would be Ground/Poison when I first saw it (scorpion, eh?) but the Ground/Flying alternative is a lot more fun. It's a shame about the Ice weakness but the Electric immunity is much appreciated and the Rock resistance is a help too. Their powerful Earthquake is certainly a force to be reckoned with and it takes a heck of a lot to take this bulky Ground-type down, plus they look kind of like Dracula which is always cool, so I'll always love the Gligar family. An all-time Ground favourite of mine haha.

It's all Narnia's fault lol. :P I like the fact it knows Guillotine and a small handful of Bug-type moves that involve using its powerful claws. It only knew Earthquake when winning one from an event in Pokémon Stadium 2 but now it can be taught Ground-type moves by TM (Earthquake, Dig and Bulldoze). Ground/Poison would have been an interesting pair-up, something a la Zubat family.

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Preferred username: Jumpleet\

Partner Pokémon: Gliscor

If you were to have an Ground-type Pokémon in real life, who would it be and why? What would its moveset be?

Honestly, I would love to have a phanpy mostly because having a mini-elephant to show-off to everyone would be awesome
Moves: Rollout, Ice Shard, Hyper Voice, Protect

Favorite Ground-type move- Earth Power

Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon?
Ground Pokemon always seem so rugged while still having an aura of cute about them.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username: Jumpleet\

Partner Pokémon: Gliscor

If you were to have an Ground-type Pokémon in real life, who would it be and why? What would its moveset be?

Honestly, I would love to have a phanpy mostly because having a mini-elephant to show-off to everyone would be awesome
Moves: Rollout, Ice Shard, Hyper Voice, Protect

Favorite Ground-type move- Earth Power

Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon?
Ground Pokemon always seem so rugged while still having an aura of cute about them.

Welcome to the club. Gliscor's a good choice...creepy, swift and deadly. Phanpy is cute and would make a good companion (until it evolves and then you have some trouble :P) Good to have Ice Shard to keep those Grass-types at bay and Rollout to overwhelm your opponents. Ground-types are pretty rugged, like a suit of rock armor, but still nice.

Pokemount

Hello
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Preferred username Pokemount
Partner Pokémon Flygon
Answer the current topic If I could transform into a ground type it would be Flygon. I think flying around in a desert enviornment looking around for an oasis would be neat.
Favorite Ground-type move Earthquake
Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon? I love their immunity to electricity (I find paralysis the most annoying status problem). I also like their advantages over a lot of types, and a good number of them are very good defensively.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username Pokemount
Partner Pokémon Flygon
Answer the current topic If I could transform into a ground type it would be Flygon. I think flying around in a desert enviornment looking around for an oasis would be neat.
Favorite Ground-type move Earthquake
Why do you like/love Ground-type Pokémon? I love their immunity to electricity (I find paralysis the most annoying status problem). I also like their advantages over a lot of types, and a good number of them are very good defensively.

Welcome to the club. Flygon's a good choice, just not sure why it's Ground/Dragon when it looks more like a Bug/Dragon :P An oasis in the desert sounds peaceful. I agree, paralysis is annoying to be afflicted with, so keep a Ground-type handy in the sticky situations.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Let's get this club shakin' again

tumblr_mokoukmFyi1s19dmjo1_500.gif

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ohh I love Diglett ♥ It's such a curious Pokémon but I wish more had been revealed about it. I'm really interested in the bottom half haha - what do you guys think's down there? Do you think it's just a simple mole? And do you like Diglett as a Pokémon? How do you think the evolution into Dugtrio happens? It's a really quirky Pokémon family so it'd be a shame not to discuss them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back