• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DSi LL

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
Years
  • So the DSi LL has been announced by Nintendo. What are your thoughts on it?

DSi LL

I have to say it is pretty huge, way too inconvenient for me. If I ever do upgrade my DS Lite I'll probably get the DSi and not this crazy huge version of it. Just look at that sylus!

Joystiq is reporting the DSi XL, I guess the EU and NA name, will be available in said markets in Q1 2010.

I guess I should post a little more info on it, although I think the differences are quite noticeable. The whole system is an enlarged version of the DSi with 4.0" screens and a pen sized stylus. That's pretty much it I believe. Like Lightning said the screens will not be of higher resolution, just bigger size.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I think it's ridiculous and a slap in the face to anyone who bought a DSi in the short year that it's been out.

Looks like it's being targeted more at adults outside the "core" market, though, what with the muted colours and the screens being "magnified". (The screens are bigger but, as far as I know, the exact same resolution so rather than having more room on screen to play with, it just enlarges everything.) I want to see one in action before I decide if I'm at all on board or not. The stretching just makes me think that it'll look weird. The DSi's size isn't really noticeable but this one certainly should be.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    As inconvenient as it looks, they probably did it for a good reason.
    The DSi battery life was just...terrible. They also have bigger screens, which makes it much easier on the eyes when reading text(anyone that uses a PS3 will know how small the text can get these days.)
    It also looks like the camera (and other additions) will be much higher quality since there is much more room for improvement, but this is basing only on looks, since I am a Japanese illiterate.

I'll still get the DSi, if at all, just because I like carrying my hand held consoles around. That thing isn't fit at all for carrying, it's like a wii.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Indeed a pointless update. Guess it's cool for the ones who haven't gotten a DSi yet, but it's plain old ridiculous. Plus, I'd rather have a larger screen umm.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Cool for Nintendo, since they'll be raking in another couple millions for this. XD;

But rather pointless for consumers who own a previous iteration of the DS handheld.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I wasn't fond of the DSi and I'm not fond of this. It's just too big. I don't mind the colours (Wine Red looks rather nice to me) and I much prefer that pen-like stylus. DS lite's stylus is good, the original DS' is not, my Phantom Hourglass feather stylus is unusable. For a long time I was using a stylus from an old Palm Pilot. I welcome any stylus that's comfortable for people with manly hands.

The screens are bigger but, as far as I know, the exact same resolution so rather than having more room on screen to play with, it just enlarges everything.
    Yep. The DSi's screen was bigger too, but this is just O_o

Years
  • I don't see why this is a big deal. This model offers no benefits over the original DSi other than the size and a battery life that lasts an hour or two more depending on the brightness level you're using.
    If you've already bought a DSi you're not getting screwed.

iReign

Banned
    Years
  • If they are going to keep doing this, please, please let them make sure we can trade in our old DSi model for the newer one. I swear, I got the DSi thinking it would be long term, and now this comes out? C'mon Nintendo, you might as well make the next generation of your handhelds. ._.

Talesplayer

Breeder in Training/Guardia
    Years
  • it is just a tad ridiculous seriously, im still not sure what the point of the Dsi even was. the ds lite was great, why would there even be a need for 2 versions of the dsi?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • If they are going to keep doing this, please, please let them make sure we can trade in our old DSi model for the newer one. I swear, I got the DSi thinking it would be long term, and now this comes out? C'mon Nintendo, you might as well make the next generation of your handhelds. ._.
    I think that by the time you're 87 and would need the DSi LL, there'd probably be a better platform available. No need to trade in.

It's just...bigger. If you have something that's smaller (which probably makes it better), then why would you want to trade?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Um...wow. What TF89 said. I like the color, I like the stylus, I think it's pointless. If you're going to make it bigger, save it for the next generation and increase the resolution. I guess it's appealing to the older people who are getting into this, but it's stupid to do this, especially so soon after the normal DSi's release.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • You young punks make me sick. Why, back in my day we had the GameBoy. That thing was as big as your foot, but did we complain? No sirree, we were just happy that it wasn't heavy enough to tear a hole in your backpack. Ah, those were the days...

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • Another fail by nintendo? Im not going to waste my money on a bigger DSi. Im fine with the one I have already. >.>

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • You young punks make me sick. Why, back in my day we had the GameBoy. That thing was as big as your foot, but did we complain? No sirree, we were just happy that it wasn't heavy enough to tear a hole in your backpack. Ah, those were the days...

The original Gameboy was roughly the same size as the regular DS.

Seriously how is this meant to fit in my pockets or any pockets of non adult XL clothing. This is as ridiculous as Pocket Dictionaries especially those ones made for children.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • They'll probably be marketing it moreso for adults who have purses and briefcases to keep these things in. :/ I expect the US might have a slightly more colourful lineup, though, since I don't think non-gaming adults are embracing the system quite like adults in Japan are. We'll have to get closer to 2010 to know for sure though. *shrug*

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • The original Gameboy was roughly the same size as the regular DS.

Seriously how is this meant to fit in my pockets or any pockets of non adult XL clothing. This is as ridiculous as Pocket Dictionaries especially those ones made for children.
    The length and width were, but it was thicker and weighed a lot more. Also, I believe the new LL is roughly the same size as the original DS, is it not?

Back