• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dual types you consider blasphemy in Pokemon

Black Dynamite

Resident Noob
Years
  • I would love a fire and ice type! A chimera pokemon?
    Sorry for the blasphemy but I get all giggly at the thought of using ice beam and flamethrower in the same moveset whilst getting stab in each

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Any dual type that has a x4 weakness has no chance of making it into my party. :/

I'm mostly exact the opposite. Having a lot of Pokémon with 4x weakness is quite challenging, even if you faceroll in your playthroughs like a unstoppable bear with no mind of it's own, they will always backfire you at a certain point. That what's it make interesting. These kind of turns are necessary or the gameplay gets boring fast.

Online is a different matter, though.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I strongly dislike Tyraunt and Tyrantrum's type combination, rock/dragon. This makes them super-effective to ice, dragon, ground, steel, fairy, grass, and fighting—a total of seven types. That, if you ask me, is a lot. And when it comes to competitive battling, these are one of the most common Pokémon types—making them assure that they don't last very long. d: I don't like the combination of dark and dragon, either, as it has four-time weakness to fairy. I'd imagine fairy-types to be very popular and used quite often, since they're new and all.
    Ain't that the truth.

I love my Tyrantrum, but it's number of weaknesses is vast. Luckily, it at least has the attack power and defense to hit its opponents hard and knock them out as quick as possible. In competitive battling, it's lack of speed will make it an easy target. While Rock/Dragon is blasphemy, it won't necessarily stop my from using the big oaf. But let's never have this type combo again!

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Fighting/Electric would be an annoying thing to deal with defensively. The typing alone is a threat to most walls in OU (Ferrothorn, Blissey, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Scarmory, Heatran). Imagine a set of, Thunderbolt-SuperPower(or Aura Sphere)-Icebeam-Volt Switch(or Vacum Wave). Of course it would need good stats to function properly, that's the most important thing.

Years
  • Bug/Flying or Dragon/Flying
    The Flying type is really unnecessary there and only ends up giving a 4x weakness to Rock and Ice respectively.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2013
    Absolutely hate bug/flying because it is so weak it is unplayable. Lucky your Pinsir, you finally get some attention and they ruin it by making you flying.

As and earlier poster said normal/ghost would be nuts. Maybe make a Zombie pokemon normal/ghost? That would be sweet.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I don't think any type combination would bother me, if they had a good origin story/ description for it. Say there's a water/fire type, it could be some sort of hot spring Pokemon- loves the heat and the water.
    So yeah, no dual typing bugs me at all. I wouldn't like a Pokemon with no weaknesses (like Sableye) that was really powerful. I think that would be a bit OP and unbalanced. Spiritomb is enough of an annoyance.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2013
    Barring the Normal type, here are some that make me go crazy:

Nonsense combinations: Fire·Ice, Electric·Grass, Electric·Ground, Electric·Rock, Fighting·Ghost, Fighting·Fairy, Poison·Psychic, Poison·Fairy, Dragon·Fairy, Dark·Fairy

The above type pairs I can't easily imagine so if anyone has any ideas for one of the above, let me know ;)

Weak combinations: Fire·Ice, Fire·Rock, Grass·Ice, Grass·Ground, Grass·Psychic, Grass·Bug, Grass·Rock, Grass·Dark, Grass·Fairy, Ice·Poison, Ice·Flying, Ice·Psychic, Ice·Bug, Ice·Rock, Ice·Fairy, Ground·Psychic, Flying·Bug, Bug·Rock

Basically those that have many weaknesses (such as Grass·Ice/Psychic/Bug) or few resistances (such as Rock·Grass/Bug) are listed above... perhaps I listed too many there?

Also, @Batty: Ghost·Dark is weak to Fairy attacks and doesn't have many useful resistances..

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • Bug/Flying or Dragon/Flying
    The Flying type is really unnecessary there and only ends up giving a 4x weakness to Rock and Ice respectively.

Gameplay-wise, yeah. They have lots of flaws. But design-wise, I think it makes sense with the real life flying insects here and there like butterfly, bees, and moth. Also, flying dragons also makes sense, no?

But yeah... the resistance sucks. At least it gave them immunities to Ground. :v

Speaking of which, I don't like Amaura & Aurorus family's type combo as well. >_> Amaura has too many weaknesses and two double weakness at once.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I think any typing with an abominable amount of weaknesses, regardless of how many resistances it has, makes it difficult to play. As has been mentioned before I love the Amaura and Tyrunt lines but their huge number of weaknesses makes them difficult to play effectively. They're lethal if they get a chance to strike but if the opponent has at least decent type coverage they should have a move that hits it hard. I would rather a Pokémon with few weaknesses and few resistances over one with large number of resistances but a large number of weaknesses.

Which is why Ice and Rock types are difficult for me to play (despite loving the former) but Ghost and Normal types really shine. As was mentioned above I would love a Ghost/Normal type Pokémon in the game.

I wouldn't like a Pokemon with no weaknesses (like Sableye) that was really powerful. I think that would be a bit OP and unbalanced. Spiritomb is enough of an annoyance.

Both of them now have a weakness to Fairy types in Generation 6. While I quite liked the idea of a Pokémon with no weaknesses they no longer hold that title.

Kyeto

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I despise the steel/fighting type because a fighting type weak to fighting just isnt right at all. And even i gotta say that a dragon/fairy type would be very weird.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I wonder how they could make a Fire/Water type. Dragon/Fighting seems comical. Also, Dragon/Normal.

Maybe some kind of Steam Pokémon could be dual type Fire-Water? I think a steam pokémon would be pretty cool, but I don't know how that kind of dual-typing would affect the game. I think some kind of steam-powered/steampunk Pokémon would be great, Fire-Water should never EVER be dual typed.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    Fire/Water, Normal/Ghost, Grass/Fire, Dragon/Fairy, Electric/Ground

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Normal dualtypes, except Girafarig's and Normal-Ghost if that ever happens. I like the idea but all they normally do is hurt the monster's resistances in most cases. Weakness to Fighting is far more crippling than immunity to Ghost is advantageous.

Last edited:

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I'm working on a hack, and one of my main goals is to explore as many type combinations as possible.

The Fairy type adds a lot of options.

And- whilst true that a lot of the unused types combos are unused because they'd either have a huge number of weaknesses, a bunch of double weaknesses, or just don't make much sense- that challenge is exactly what makes it fun for me.

A couple that I've already started work on. Designs close to final, and starting figuring out movesets, stats, etc.

Starters:

Fire/Flying - Based on a Pegasus and Apollo
    Grass/Rock - Mountain Gorilla
    Water/Fighting - Narwhal

The new types are gained only at the third stage, and change the dynamics. If I ever get this game done, I think it would make the rival battles more interesting. Would certainly be a surprise the first time you encounter the third stage.

Legendary Trio:

Fire/Water -Geyser
    Water/Grass - Kraken/Kelp
    Grass/Fire - Forest Fire

None of them have the one-up on the others, and each only have three weaknesses.

Making use of the new Fairy type:

Rock/Fairy -Inuksuk The Inuit built them for navigation. Some lore marks them as spirit guides.
    Grass/Fairy - Dryad
    Ice/Fairy - Jynx evolution with drastic design change. I've always liked Jynx's concept and unique type combo- but could never use her without feeling like a horrible, horrible racist.

Random Others:

Ground
    /Fighting
    - Warthog
    Electric/Dark - Thunder Serpent in Native American lore. Interpretations vary, the more commonly known being the Thunder Bird.
    Ice/Fire - Chinook. Powerful, warm winds that can give you a random week of summer in the dead of winter.
    Normal/Ghost - Ghost bear. I am drawing a lot of my ideas from Native American mythology.
    Fire/Poison - Napalm. Chemical Warfare.
    Ground/Psychic - Babylonian Sphynx (Male only)
    Ground/Dark - Greek Sphynx (Female only)

Anyways, I only brought this up because I saw a couple of those exact combinations being mentioned in this thread, so I was just demonstrating that they are- indeed- workable. Just need to be creative.

If I get a scanner, I could even post sketches if people are curious.

Last edited:

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
    Years
  • Aggron is my favorite Pokemon, but I don't really see where the Rock type comes in. It gives this beastly monster two 4x weaknesses to very strong types. It kinda sucks, but at least Mega Aggron doesn't have Rock type.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Some Pokémon have unnecessarily given/not given a dual type methinks. I feel that Feraligatr could have been better with a Dark type (I'm not talking competitively, just realistically) because of the Bite and Crunch and overall bad the looks are because of the Alligator thing Feraligatr's been running.

However, I see no reason why Gyarados was given the Flying type and we all have experienced the crippling state he has to face against Electric types. I feel he would be overall better as pure Water, or maybe Dragon if it comes to that. Not a bad option either, Outrage is a physical Dragon type move enough for Gyarados.

Gorebyss and Huntail could respectively have adopted a Psychic and Dark typing, they seem like more than viable candidates even though they may accumulate more weaknesses. This is because of their abundance of moves of said types and their general looks and backgrounds.

Back