• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Dumb Luck

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Wow! I'm completley thrilled! I noties the new RNG thing for hatching shiny Pokemon, and I was going through the steps when I noticed an egg sitting in my box. I was like "what the hay, lets hatch it to see what it is". And I sit there hatching and a SHINY Snorunt comes out of the egg!

So has anyone else had any dumb luck while playing the game?

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • The first Stunky I ran into on a Diamond ROM was shiny. The FIRST one.

The dumb part is the ROM is messed up now. <_>

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    For me it was how easy it was to catch Cressilia (sp?). Seriously, it took less than ten minutes, Hypnosis, Faint Attack and a quick ball when I saw it again.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I have better luck catching legendaries on any game, when they're at full health with a poke ball. that's how i caught them about 75% of the time. Didn't even bother to fight.

Years
    • Seen today
    On a file on Platinum, the first Wingull I encountered was shiny.

In FRLG, I found a shiny Weedle on my way through Viridian Forest. That's right, before my first badge. I also found a shiny Spearow before my second badge in another playthrough.

I also remember once in ShinyGold I found a shiny Rattata before I got any Poke Balls. I was so mad.

Danus

Failed Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • What about?

Dumb UNluck...

3 times now I have created a game profile, played, find a shiny before I can get Pokeballs. I could have got a Shiny Beedrill :(

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • Curtis says while he was travelling to snowpoint on his platinum he caught himself a shiny snover. He bred it for me and now I have a shiny snover evo what ever it is called..

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    -Abomasnow

Oh man, i'm so jealous, i love Shiny Froslass!!

I've only ever seen 2 shinies, 1 on each of my Platinum save files.One Shiny Female Snorunt near Snowpoint, when i used up all my pokeballs catching a female timid one.

One Shiny Machoke, when i was on my way to Celestic Town, and i hadn't any pokeballs, as i never catch anything there

Professor W.

Squirtle Fan
    Years
  • Once, I was training a Phanpy (Who was a Donphan by the time I lost the game) and a full-health Zapdos appeared. I didn't have my Crobat with me, (who would use mean look on roaming legendaries) so I just threw an Ultra Ball for the heck of it, and much to my suprise- it actually caught Zapdos. Weird, huh.

~Prof. W.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • First starly I caught on my first platinum playthrough was Adamant, Holding a Yache Berry.
    I was pretty pleased with my catch.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    I was hatching Igglybuff to EV train to Wigglytuff for a friend on Diamond... Took me thirty eggs (I think.... About 6 batches of five eggs) The one RIGHT BEFORE the perfect natured one was SHINY! And it was so subtle I almost released it.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i randomly found a shiny and caught it first try in a pokeball without weakening it. i was pretty amazed because that was the last pokeball to ^_^

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Here's my dumb luck: I was going to soft-reset for a decent natured Palkia, but when I got to it, I realized that my party was full, and I didn't want to keep going back to check the Palkia, so I gave up and whipped the Masterball. To my surprise, it was Timid natured. :D

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • When I was in a battle and was down to a Roselia with a burn and less than 10 hp left. I was going against a Sneasel. Luckily, my Roselia magically attacked first and OHKO'd the Sneasel. I wanted to hug my game.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I've had some lucky and unlucky times in my Pokémon games.

Once, in Diamond, I was in the Safari Zone and saw a shiny Wooper. I had never seen a shiny, so I threw a ball. It broke out, but stayed. I threw a rock, and it still stayed. I threw another ball, and I caught it. I was overjoyed.

In Platinum, I've had some unlucky experiences, mainly in the Battle Tower. Today, I just got up to Palmer on the 21st battle (the game constantly freezes around the 16th or 17th battle, so I was pleased), and he sent out his Milotic. At this point, his Rhyperior and Dragonite were good and dead, but so were my Salamence and Swampert. I was at the Pokémon selection screen to send out my Infernape (which knows Grass Knot and ThunderPunch) when I had to close it for a bit. I opened it up about 15 minutes ago, and it froze. I was furious at my game for doing this.

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • One time in my Diamond, I was randomly hatching Baton Pass Skitty eggs, looking for a Jolly female. And one of the eggs in one of the batches hatched shiny! The funny thing was that I was looking for a shiny Baton Pass Skitty online. :)

Also, on my current LeafGreen save file, I've seen three Safari Zone shinies, and caught two of them (a Nidoran female and a Nidorina, the latter of which was Impish) Only one of them ended up fleeing (an Exeggcute). ^^;

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 12, 2010
    1. I was chaining Surskit one day; I was so happy that the swarm finally showed up. As I was chaining, I was watching CSI, so I only looked down for the patches and to attack. Some time after I started, I look down after watching a bit of CSI, about to obliterate the Surskit, when I saw it was darker in color. It was a random-encoutenr shiny. :>

2. The same thing happened when I was trying to find Dunsparce to chain. As I was trying to get the chain started, a female, shiny Machop appeared.

3. Another time, I was chaining Slowpoke, and a radom-encounter shiny Slowpopke appeared.

I was all like, "Wow, my game is being very generous. :0"

- Kat

Years
  • Lucky times? I can't think of one. The game generally hates me.

1. When I first bought pearl, saved up for a long time, as soon as we walked into the tall grass BEFORE we got our pokemon, my game glitched and I was attacked by a wild bidoof. I sent out the bidoof that appeared for some reason, leaving a colorful pixelated mess on the opponents side, when I tried attacking it, my game crashed beyond repair. Had to save up money AGAIN.

I bought it from a store that had no warranties as well -_-

CURSE YOU NINTENDOOOOOOO....

With only an electric type with any power against the elite four, I find myself very sad when I learn that EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT HAS EARTHQUAKE.

Goes to show that even if you love a game, THE GAME DOESN'T LOVE YOU.

Back