• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Each Type, Worst to Best

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
Years
  • The title should speak for its own. This is partially my opinion, however I trried to make it as objective as possible.

18. ROCK - Horrible type. While it does have quite a few resistances, it's weak to a mass sum of five types, and they have generally very poor speed, so likely it will be hit first. Mediocre Special Defense does not help, as they'll go straight down to a good Energy Ball. Not to mention, almost none of your moves have 100 acc. There are some exceptions, like Aerodactyl and Rhyperior, due to good speed and firepower and Solid Rock ability respectively. But overall, Rock is one poor type.

17. NORMAL - They don't resist anything, and they are not strong agaisnt anything. Yes, they are only weak to one type, but that doesn't even it out.

16. GRASS - Another bad defensive typing, grass is weak to five types just like Rock, and two of which are very common coverage types. A common strategy among Grass-typed is setting up a Sunny Day for Chlorophyll ability to activate, and while this does drastically raise their speed, it also makes them even more susceptible to Fire attacks.

15. BUG - This type is home to quite a lot of Pokemon that are practically unusable after the third gym. Boy, did Unova rescue this type.

14. ICE - Ice isn't the best type overall to use, but its definitely better than people cut it out to be. Its strong against four types, one of which is the ultra-powerful Dragon. However, it's held back by four weaknesses, and only one resistance (itself).

13. ELECTRIC - This was hard to place. It's only weak to one type, which is amazing, but its only strong against two types. But the main downfall of the electric type is the fact that there are very few physical attackers with the type. This means Pokemon of the type (especially if they are pure Electric) are kind of walled by opponents with strong Special Defense.

12. POISON - Very good as a tank, mediocre as anything else. Four resistances makes up for only two types being weak to it.

11. DARK - Another type that was difficult to place. Second generation cut it out to be the goat, as it was now a viable counter to the (at the time) overpowering Psychic type. It was also strong against Ghost, another strong type. But sixth generation eventually came along and send these edgelords back to the Evanescence concert, with the addition of the Fairy type. It's also killed by Fighting types, but that was always there.

10. FLYING - Great average speed and strength against three pretty common types (that it resists), and an immunity, making it good both offensively and defensively. However, Flying type is crippled by Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, two very common coverage attacks between special sweepers. This is kinda made up for with the fact thwre has never been an unused Flying dual type though.

9. PSYCHIC - While they were nerfed a LOT from second generation onwards, they stil remain a good type. They trump over Fighting type, an incredibly powerful sweeping type, and serve as one of the few counters to Poison, which is strong defensively. Its only marginally decent as a defensive typing, though, as its weak to three (albeit uncommon offensively) types, and only resist two.

8. FIRE - Grest sweepers right here. They have good average both Attack and Special Attack, and good speed too. Great variation with dual types is good, but the positives end there. Fire types generally have bad defense and are very susceptible to Water, a common offensive type, and Ground, another common and even more powerful offensive type.

7. FAIRY - Fairy types can not only be both sweepers and tanks, but they can do both at the same time. Just look at Sylveon and Gardevoir's movesets. They also have some very unique moves such as Moonlight, Light of Ruin, and Draining Kiss.

6. WATER - So not only does Water typing house greath both sweepers and stallers, but they also have great utility options too, like Rotom and Mantine. Gyarados and Swampert are some of the best physical sweepers, and their special counterparts like Jellicent and Swanna are no different. Just watch out for Thunderbolt.

5. DRAGON - Ah yes, the almighty pseudos. With very strong attacking moves and one of the best enhancing moves out there in Dragon Dance, they're a force to be reckoned with. They have wide enough coverage to at least do a number on basically any opposing Pokemon. It's not all peaches and rainbows for these monsters though. The biggest downfall is that they're only strong against theirselves, which even then it's a double edged sword for the obvious reason. Its also completely walled by Fairy types do to their immunity to it. Nonetheless, Dragon typing remains an absolutely amazing type.

4. GROUND - With fives types weak to it, including the ultimate tanks on the Steel typing, you know Ground is something to worry about. They have amazing attacks like Earthquake and Bulldoze, and a bunch of at least decent status moves like Spikes. The only major problem is that Ground types are kinda predictable as they generally have bad Special Attack, meaning they will almost always have Earthquake as their main STAB move. They also don't have the best Special Defense, meaning they hate Water and Ice attacks.

3. GHOST - Two immunities and another two types to resist, and only two types to be weak to (one of which its also strong against), the Ghost typing has everyrhing layed out defensively. Offensively, not as much, as only two types are weak to Ghost. However, there are still a multitude of strong Ghost sweepers of both physical and special varieties.

2. FIGHTING - The strongest sweeping type out there. Some of the biggest selections in coverage and abilites, and there are five types weak to these powerful boxers. Close Combat is one of the most powerful attacking moves in existence, and Bulk Up is one of the most powerful status moves in existence. Since it has basically everything offensively, it can definitely hold its own against even the types its weak to.

1. STEEL - It resists what, nine types?

What would you change?

Years
  • I personally wouldn't rank fighting so high, but that's personal preference since I don't tend to like fighting types very much. Rock, poison, and bug being low is something I agree with though (again, on a personal preference level).

steel absolutely deserves #1 with its overall great defenses and many resistances. But gosh am I sad to see electric so low for you!! I see the arguments but aaaa fav type

pkmin3033

Seeing Fighting ranked so highly when every single Fighting type is disgustingly hideous causes me an almost physical pain.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • Seeing Fighting ranked so highly when every single Fighting type is disgustingly hideous causes me an almost physical pain.

I wouldn't say EVERY Fighting type looks hideous. Lucario and Mienshao look badass, and Hawlucha has a very epic and anything but ugly design.

Rock types though? Why are everyone calling out the Fighting types but not Rock types on their terrible, borderline disturbing designs? Graveler? Cradily?

Like I said, this list is 99% objective, but I thought I should just put that out there.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Imo, worst to best (Pokémon type)
    Ice, Rock, Grass, Psychic, Flying, Ground, Dark, Bug, Fighting, Dragon, Fire, Normal, Ghost, Electric, Water, Fairy, Poison, Steel

Worst to best (Move type)
    Normal, Dragon, Poison, Bug, Grass, Steel, Ghost, Psychic, Dark, Flying, Electric, Fairy, Water, Rock, Fire, Ice, Fighting, Ground

So, I believe Steel, Water, and Fairy are technically the best types overall (No bias, since none of these are among my favorite types)

Why are everyone calling out the Fighting types but not Rock types on their terrible, borderline disturbing designs? Graveler? Cradily?

I would get the point about Fighting types if all of them were like Machamp, Conkeldurr, Throh, Sawk, and the Hitmons. But, especially in the later gens, we've got a fair share of Fighting mons that barely look like Fighting types, or even don't look like it at all.

pkmin3033

I wouldn't say EVERY Fighting type looks hideous. Lucario and Mienshao look badass, and Hawlucha has a very epic and anything but ugly design.

Rock types though? Why are everyone calling out the Fighting types but not Rock types on their terrible, borderline disturbing designs? Graveler? Cradily?

Like I said, this list is 99% objective, but I thought I should just put that out there.
    You cited three examples I would put as the worst out there! Lucario especially. Lucario is by far one of the worst Pokemon designs out there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not going to defend certain Rock types, or even other types, but I will stand very firm against the idea that Fighting types are anything other than pure trash.

Also, claiming your opinion - because it is your opinion, just as any disagreement is someone else's and is therefore equally valid - is objective is kinda...ehhh...there is no objectivity to subjective matter, and claiming any Pokemon are better than others outside of anything other than pure statistics is subjective no matter how much you might wish or think it were otherwise.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • You cited three examples I would put as the worst out there! Lucario especially. Lucario is by far one of the worst Pokemon designs out there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not going to defend certain Rock types, or even other types, but I will stand very firm against the idea that Fighting types are anything other than pure trash.

Also, claiming your opinion - because it is your opinion, just as any disagreement is someone else's and is therefore equally valid - is objective is kinda...ehhh...there is no objectivity to subjective matter, and claiming any Pokemon are better than others outside of anything other than pure statistics is subjective no matter how much you might wish or think it were otherwise.

Hang on, lemme rephrase.

This list is NOT an objective list of the worst and best types. It is a list by which I attempted to compile game data like moves, average stats, and type advantages, and make it into a ranking.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • I remember posting on a similar thread ages ago rating Ghost types quite highly and now I've completely changed my mind: In terms of actual aesthetics and designs they're all pretty much top tier but trying to battle with them it feels like there's just something missing in terms of firepower that you wish you had and the lack of good resistances really hurts when random strong moves hit like more of a truck that usual. When I think about good ghostmon its usually because of their secondary typings like Mimikyuu, Aegislash and Dragapult instead of the fact that they're Ghost types first.

Worst overall type goes to Bug but the type with the weakest selection of pokemon is probably Rock or Ice, its tricky. Steel and Fairy can fight it out for 1st and 2nd place with Flying a comfortable 3rd.

Back