• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

How would you rate it?

• ★★★★★

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • ★★★★

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • ★★★

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ★★

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarineCorpsKid

Poseidon's Heir
Years
  • [SIZE="a"]So I dont know how many elder scrolls fans there are here but I know that I certainly am one. My first elder scrolls game was oblivion. The secon I started playing it, I was hooked. And now I can't wait for skyrim to be released. Anyone else excited? What are you most psyched about? What are your views? Any ideas what might be to come.?[/SIZE]

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I'm...not sure what to make of Skyrim, to be honest. I adored Morrowind, but I despised Oblivion. In fact, excluding Final Fantasy IX and XIII, I'd say Oblivion has got to be the most abysmally designed and utterly boring game I have ever played. So, is Skyrim going to be more like Morrowind, or more like Oblivion? I haven't really been able to get a feel for it from the trailers, so I'm at odds with it at the moment.

But I will say this...if I were to judge the game based off of its OST alone, I'd have to buy it; it is anywhere near as good as NieR, but it's absolutely spectacular nonetheless, especially the opening theme. I love what I'm hearing here...

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I'm...not sure what to make of Skyrim, to be honest. I adored Morrowind, but I despised Oblivion. In fact, excluding Final Fantasy IX and XIII, I'd say Oblivion has got to be the most abysmally designed and utterly boring game I have ever played. So, is Skyrim going to be more like Morrowind, or more like Oblivion? I haven't really been able to get a feel for it from the trailers, so I'm at odds with it at the moment.

But I will say this...if I were to judge the game based off of its OST alone, I'd have to buy it; it is anywhere near as good as NieR, but it's absolutely spectacular nonetheless, especially the opening theme. I love what I'm hearing here...

According to Bethesda, it's going to be more like Fallout 3.

And I completely disagree with your opinion on Oblivion. I thought that the game was beautifully crafted and ridiculously engrossing. I have not played Morrowind, so I cannot compare the two, but the fourth edition of the series was certainly one of my favourite games. Sure, it had its drawbacks such as the frequently poor graphics and the extremely repetitive voices (after all, they had five voice actors, and two of those voiced main characters and very few other people. The majority of the NPCs were voiced by three people), but I loved in none the less.

From what I've seen of Skyrim, they seem to have improved on everything I felt that Oblivion fell short on, along with a whole heap of things that I hadn't even noticed were slighty off in TES4.

Anyway, what I'm most interested in now is the magic. I've always been an avid spell-slinger, with most of my characters in Oblivion having some level of magic (even if it was something as simple as throwing Flare every so often). Now that you can duel-wield spells though, I'll be able to see how two spells work in tandem, along with the fact that if you have the same spell in both hands, pulling both the left and right trigger causes you to create an even more powerful spell.

Oh, and the new perk system too, much like Fallout's. Bring on the shield bashing and maces which ignore armour.

MarineCorpsKid

Poseidon's Heir
    Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I agree the TES4 was an amazing game, but everyone has their opinions. I also believe that the graphics were very very poor. That had to be the biggest thing that annoyed me. However just looking at the trailers for TES5, I'm confident they did an immensely greater job. One of my favorite things about skyrim might have to be the addition of dragons. I'm psyched to start fighting them.[/SIZE]

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I'm psyched to watch them fight each other. ;)

Even in Skyrim the characters look a little odd. I guess that Bethesda'll never actually learn how to create realistic looking character models. Oh well, at least they don't look half-frog like they did in Oblivion.

It was the two beast-races which really surprised me when I saw some of the Skyrim images. The Argonians and Khajiit look beyond immense, and it certainly inspired me to plan an Argonian/Khajiit character or two. I've always wanted to create a character based off of the Shadowscales.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    Skyrim

The game everyone's been talking about. It looks really good!
    Granted i've only seen one 10 second commercial...
    So i'm going to be lazy and skip google search and ask... What's so great about it? Pros? Cons?

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • It's a life eater... stay away from it at all costs... <.<
    I got it Wednesday and started playing that day, and thus far I've put 60 hours into the game. That comes out to around 12 hours a day (counting Wednesday).

Skyrim is an open ended game, you can be someone who uses swords, or bows, or magic, or summons, and you can mix and match. There's a ton to explore and a ton of side quests. Like I said, I put 60 hours into the game and I haven't done much in the main story. I do side quests and try to level my character up. There's so much to do in the game you won't get bored anytime soon (unless you get bored of doing quests, and exploring, and killing dragons, and so on).
    The cons... it has a few glitches but for me I haven't come across anything bad enough where I'd quit playing the game. Another con is... if you get into it then it will eat your time up.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can't wait to get this game, but Arcanine is right. It does eat away your time haha. A lot of my friends have it and they tell me how addicting it is and when I text them and ask what they're up to, the answer is always Skyrim. I've watched a few videos of it, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Don't have the money right now though. Hopefully I will after Thanksgiving, since I'm working that day.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Pretty much the only thing I've been playing since it was released the 9th. It's definitely addicting. I've already restarted about 3 times, but I plan on finally going through the main storyline this time (as a Wood Elf)

Yeah, with a game as big as this there's bound to be some annoying glitches (though I've yet to encounter anything game breaking)

Zet

Years
  • I'm trying to take a break from Skyrim and I find it hard not to play it. To be honest I didn't think I would get this addicted to an Elder Scrolls game.

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
    Years
  • Hey guys I'm pretty sure I'm getting the game because it looks amazing!
    I was wondering what platform do you recommend. PC or 360?
    I don't have a gaming laptop/computer.. only a cruddy school one so I was leaning more towards the 360.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have it on my crappy laptop and it does run at low settings but my friends tell me they could never play it because they're used to high fps all the time, lol.

I hit my first game-breaking glitch today that I had to fix...in the main quest one of the characters that's very important has no voice and his dialogue subtitle only shows for a split second. Turns out his actions and such are also linked to his voice, so when he agreed to open the locked door he never did because he didn't actually say it out loud. Luckily all I had to do was extract his voice though, and then it worked fine and all his actions actually...happened, haha.

I also can't decide between Imperial and Stormcloak. On the one hand I'm a Wood Elf so the Stormcloaks don't really like me, but on the other hand Talos gave me the dragon powers and the Imperials banned worship of Talos...

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • ^Actually, it was Kynareth who granted mortals with the gift of dragons (lol, been playing a bit too much)

Well, you're not required to choose a side. And honestly, if you're not playing as a Nord, it doesn't feel right to join the Stormcloaks.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • pros: can fight dragons
    cons: can't play as dragons
    Actually, if you buy it on the PC, there is a console command you can type to turn yourself or anyone else into a dragon. It's actually amusing when you walk around town as a giant dragon and no one seems to care or notice at all. :D

Hey guys I'm pretty sure I'm getting the game because it looks amazing!
    I was wondering what platform do you recommend. PC or 360?
    I don't have a gaming laptop/computer.. only a cruddy school one so I was leaning more towards the 360.
    What do you guys think?

Buy it on the PC. If you buy it on for the consoles, you will regret it later on. Trust me. Also, you don't need a powerful computer to run Skyrim, you only need that if you want to play it with extremely high graphics, shading, etc.
    ----------
    Also, I love playing Skyrim. I have played it since launch day (11.11.11) and even though I don't play it 24/7, I have played it for a long time. (Roughly 26 hours according to Steam as of this post) I am mainly waiting for the creation kit to release, or whatever Bethesda is going to name their modding tool for Skyrim and I plan on modding the game for a long time. I have modded Oblivion and New Vegas, and in my opinion, many mods make the game much more fun to play, because it can extend the replay value of a game and add loads of content to it. Anyways, I have yet to encounter any game breaking bugs or glitches in Skyrim, and I have only experienced a few minor bugs here and there. The game itself is amazing, and I think it's a great step up from Oblivion. It's missing a few features that Oblivion had that I miss such as character classes, and actual character attributes besides only skills. The side things you can do on your spare time, creating weapons from ingots that you get by mining/buying ore and then smelting it, strengthening weapons/armor with additional effects or enchanting them, woodcutting and what not. (even though I find woodcutting to be really useless and it should be changed) On the other hand, there are many underpowered and overpowered things that need rebalancing in Skyrim. For example, magic is generally useless in Skyrim because they use up too much Magicka and do too little damage even with all of the bonuses from your "perks", and even with bonuses from the strongest equipment/character/magic, it is still not strong enough to take down powerful opponents with only a few uses of magic. Also, some of the perks are overpowered. 100% damage bonuses as your first or beginning perk unlocks? Those are literally all you need if you have a fighter kind of character. Dragons are also harshly underpowered. Normally you would think they would be hard to kill but they aren't. A level one with no skill points in anything can easily kill a dragon, and dragons can be killed by literally ANYTHING! I have seen a dragon get killed by an army of mud crabs before near a lake, and I have seen dragons die by some of the weakest of creatures. Hopefully, Bethesda will fix some of these issues and if not by them, by the modding community.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ^Actually, it was Kynareth who granted mortals with the gift of dragons (lol, been playing a bit too much)

Well, you're not required to choose a side. And honestly, if you're not playing as a Nord, it doesn't feel right to join the Stormcloaks.

Actually I looked it up after that and it was Akatosh :x But Tiber Septim was the first Dragonborn, and then he became Talos, so I still see the connection and it feels wrong to join the Empire, kind of like if God showed up, gave you the ability to walk on water, and then you repaid him by trying to destroy Christianity lol. x.x

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

• Actually I looked it up after that and it was Akatosh :x But Tiber Septim was the first Dragonborn, and then he became Talos, so I still see the connection and it feels wrong to join the Empire, kind of like if God showed up, gave you the ability to walk on water, and then you repaid him by trying to destroy Christianity lol. x.x

No, I believe it's said in-game that it was Kynareth, but there's no point in arguing about the lore of the game. And the empire was sorta forced to ban the worship of Talos. ;)

I've been playing for awhile (I'm at level 48) and just barely decided to join the Empire's side, so you can always just put it off and spend time doing all of the other things there is to do.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No, I believe it's said in-game that it was Kynareth, but there's no point in arguing about the lore of the game. And the empire was sorta forced to ban the worship of Talos. ;)

I've been playing for awhile (I'm at level 48) and just barely decided to join the Empire's side, so you can always just put it off and spend time doing all of the other things there is to do.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonborn

In the Elder Scrolls universe, the term Dragonborn has been used to refer to the heirs of Emperor Tiber Septim, founder of the Septim Dynasty of Tamriel. Most of these 'heirs to the joined blood' have been of the Imperial race and derive their legitimacy from the covenant between Saint Alessia and Akatosh. Dragonborn can be of any race, as the abilities and title are given by the Nine Divines to favored subjects.

That's where I got my information from, the page doesn't even mention Kynareth in passing and her own page doesn't mention it at all. Although to be fair Akatosh's page doesn't mention it either. xD This also might be of interest to you, it seems like a book about the Dragonborn transcribed from the game :3 http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Book_of_the_Dragonborn

I might just keep out of it for a long time, I feel there's so much I don't know about it. I mean I thought I knew everything about it and then randomly in Solitude I learned something new and that confused me even more. ;-; Also fun fact: Tiber Septim's last name when he was born...was Early-Beard. xD;

Although I definitely understand why someone who choose it on a console, especially if they have a not-so-great computer, I've already taken advantage of one of the mods and there aren't even that many outside of the endless 'get all female characters naked' mods. On low quality, you literally can't read the unpainted signs. I thought they were just blank so I got the mod to make them actually readable lol.

Back