• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

En español!

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    If you know another language, do you enjoy speaking it with people that know it also? How about speaking with native speakers of that language?

I do. I know Spanish pretty well (I think ;;) and my dad and I go to a Mexican restaurant in town and speak in Spanish to our friends that work there and they love to speak Spanish with us, since they probably have to speak English most of the day. I love speaking Spanish, so when we go to Mexico, it's always fun to surprise them that some gringo can speak it pretty well. XD

And along with that, World King and I are talking right now in Spanish and I'm enjoying it, so it brought about this thread idea. :>!

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    If you know another language, do you enjoy speaking it with people that know it also? How about speaking with native speakers of that language?

I do. I know Spanish pretty well (I think ;;) and my dad and I go to a Mexican restaurant in town and speak in Spanish to our friends that work there and they love to speak Spanish with us, since they probably have to speak English most of the day. I love speaking Spanish, so when we go to Mexico, it's always fun to surprise them that some gringo can speak it pretty well. XD

And along with that, World King and I are talking right now in Spanish and I'm enjoying it, so it brought about this thread idea. :>!
    We don't just speak it, my friend; remember how I correct you when you get a few lil' mistakes. Recuerda las reglas esenciales del español, Klip.

And well, now that I'm mentioned, I enjoy speaking English almost everywhere. As you PC people mostly know, this is like my native language, and I manage it very easily. I will forever wonder how I became so good at it...

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I speak English and French fluently, and I know a bit of Spanish and Arabic :| Enough Spanish to understand, and enough Arabic to say fluffy nice things to my fiance xD and to catch certain words in phrases, but not understand at 100% yet << *s'gonna take a while"

I hate being anglophone. I only speak English when I have to. Even though it's my mother tongue, anglophones have the worst attitude when it comes to speaking other languages, and I don't want any part of it. I speak French with my fiance and all of my friends really. It's just here on PC and with my family and customers here in Ontario that I speak English.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My native language is English and I more or less speak it exclusively. I took French all the way through school and several classes in university but I've never been able to speak it very well. I can read it fluently (and to a lesser extent, write it fluently if I'm not out of practise) but I'm just not good at the oral aspect. It doesn't help that most of the time when I am speaking French, there's always that one word that I can't for the life of me remember in French but the Japanese word will always be right there in the forefront of my mind. XD;

Since any time I've been to Quebec, it's mostly been to touristy areas where everyone will switch to English if you start mangling attempting French, I've never gotten to really practise with any native speakers. The only people I've ever had a chance to speak to in French are other students who are usually worse than me or else teachers, none of which are native speakers. :C Unless you're in French Immersion (which I was only in for a few months), none of the curriculum ever promotes conversational French. Oh well.

(I'm even worse with Japanese so I won't even bother with it... though I can get the gist of most conversations, at least!)

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Too me it is always fun to learn and try out different languages. I can speak spanish and japanese fairly well at the moment. I talk to this hispanic girl I know in Spanish sometimes, although she corrects me often lol, and I will randomly speak a few japanese phrases I've learned to people as well just to get the WTF expression. I want to learn French...I wonder if it is difficult :/.

Years
    My mother tongue is Vietnamese; I can speak and listen quite fluently, though writing and reading it is a different matter. I never bothered with learning another language aside from taking Latin at school. Even though technically since I'm in Canada I'm supposed to take French, I get an exemption from having to do so because I only moved here a year ago and lack the prerequisites to take any high school courses. :>

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Too me it is always fun to learn and try out different languages. I can speak spanish and japanese fairly well at the moment. I talk to this hispanic girl I know in Spanish sometimes, although she corrects me often lol, and I will randomly speak a few japanese phrases I've learned to people as well just to get the WTF expression. I want to learn French...I wonder if it is difficult :/.

For occidentals, French and Arabic are considered the hardest languages to learn. For orientals like the Chinese and the Japanese, English is the hardest.

So it is difficult, but if you know Spanish pretty well, then it should be quite easier for you in comparison to an anglophone learning French.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
    I can speak English, obviously. I'm also fluent in speaking Farsi, but my reading/writing skills are pretty rusty.

I've taken French classes all my life, but I'm still not very good with it. I can usually understead something written, but I have problems with speaking/listening.

I'd love to learn Arabic. I know a few words already, and since most of the alphabet is similar to Farsi, that part of it would be easier for me.

Normally I just speak English, even to my Persian friends and family, unless it's something I don't want other people to find out. xD I speak Farsi to my grandma, though, since she barely knows any English.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    English is the hardest.
    English is actually very simple in most respects, it's just the irregularities (like 'inflammable' meaning the same as 'flammable') that get people. It's clearly one of the most confusing to master, but is not outright hard.

... Me? No, I suffer the misfortune of being monolingual; just replying to Yusshin.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    English is actually very simple in most respects, it's just the irregularities (like 'inflammable' meaning the same as 'flammable') that get people. It's clearly one of the most confusing to master, but is not outright hard.

... Me? No, I suffer the misfortune of being monolingual; just replying to Yusshin.

A study showed that English was the hardest for East Asians to master. I guess it's because of sentence structure, verbs, and other irregularities. Not to mention, the script itself is latin and theirs is kanji and whatnaught. I don't find English hard at all, but that's because I was born in an anglophone household. I actually find English to be one of the easiest, since verbs don't have a million different conjugations. For example:

I go [English] = Je vais [French]
    I would go [English] = J'irais [French]
    He will go [English] = Il ira [French]
    We will work [English] = On travaillera / nous travaillerons [French]

Totally different. The verb itsef in other languages changes; in English, the verb doesn't change. You just add a word and it changes the meaning completely XD

Meh. I found French kinda easy, too, but that's because I'm good at learning new languages and memorizing words, forms, conjugations, etc. The idea of feminine, masculine, and neutral isn't too abstract either.

I forgot to mention earlier that I learnt some Japanese from anime o0 but it's like, so tiny I wouldn't even mention it normally xD lol

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Eh, I have no problems when I have to write English (durr!), and when I actually speak it, I only need to pass the first moment of embarrassment and then it's all downhill XD It's kinda fun, specially since most people tell me that my accent is nice... something I'll never understand XD

But I speak English better when I'm not surrounded by people talking to me in both Spanish and English alternatively, it's really hard to switch languages so quickly x_x

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015

I forgot to mention earlier that I learnt some Japanese from anime o0 but it's like, so tiny I wouldn't even mention it normally xD lol

XD That's how I learnt most of my japanese. I learnt the smaller stuff such as "Let's go" or " wait for me". Aside from that, I have a japanese dictionary as well as one of those Japanese for Dummies books. I wish I could write in japanese though :<.

Oh, also have a spanish and french dictionary and some books that teach you how to speak them too. I really do not touch the french ones.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    XD That's how I learnt most of my japanese. I learnt the smaller stuff such as "Let's go" or " wait for me". Aside from that, I have a japanese dictionary as well as one of those Japanese for Dummies books. I wish I could write in japanese though :<.

Oh, also have a spanish and french dictionary and some books that teach you how to speak them too. I really do not touch the french ones.

MATTA KUDASAI!

xD

And I have Spanish for Dummies :] and Italian for Dummies, German for Dummies, and Arabic for Dummies. I have my own personal Arabic teacher, too xD

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    I'm english, and I'm getting taught spanish...

So, I answer no to speaking with foreign people.

I say "COMA TE LLAMAS?" a lot for some reason XD;

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Since my mom is a native Spanish speaker who learned English growing up, I was raised learning English and Spanish concurrently...although I use English a lot more than Spanish due to my Dad's side of the family being all white and consider it my native tongue. XD

My Spanish...is slipping a bit due to disuse, and my accent is very gringo, but I can communicate with a spanish-speaker if I absolutely have to. :P

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
    Years
    Lol, My native Language is Spanish, hence I live in Puerto Rico. English is my Second, which I learned after I spent 4 years living in New York when I was little. Thanks to Spanish, I can understand Portuguese & Italian, more or less. ^^

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    i'm chinese, but english is my first language. i can speak mandarin chinese fluently but i can only read/write a few words.
    i've taken so many writing classes during the summer in china but i always end up forgetting everything once i come back to america ;-;

i'm also taking spanish classes in school, but i'm not very advanced

i sorta wanna learn cantonese for some reason :P i know like 3 words xD

also, i saw this being mentioned:
    A study showed that English was the hardest for East Asians to master. I guess it's because of sentence structure, verbs, and other irregularities. Not to mention, the script itself is latin and theirs is kanji and whatnaught. I don't find English hard at all, but that's because I was born in an anglophone household. I actually find English to be one of the easiest, since verbs don't have a million different conjugations. For example:

i think another reason is pronunciations. asian languages have really different flavors from english, if you get what i'm saying..
    my aunt's been in america for about 9 years (she's chinese) and she can barely say a sentence or 2 in english. she asks me how to say certain words in english and it takes her like 10 tries to pronounce it sorta-correctly ><; even then, she sounds ridiculously silly

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    I guess I'll start by saying I was born in the Philippines, but since I moved to California shortly after that (and since my mother has little to no education, so it was impossible for her to teach me Tagalog/Cebuano), I never actually learned my "native" language. The good thing is, I learned English easily, as it was my first language, and grammar and spelling tests were not a problem for me.

However, I strongly believe that after I took Spanish for three years in high school, my English was not in top shape like it used to be. I'm not saying that it takes me a while to say a sentence or anything, but at times, after I say something, I know it sounded weird. Even the sentence before this one sounds like it was worded awkwardly, but I just don't know how else to explain it.

Anyway, more importantly, I never practiced using Spanish enough (besides inside the classroom) to be able to have a normal, basic conversation with any other Spanish speakers. The only thing I truly remember is how to conjugate verbs because my teacher greatly emphasized them. But I suppose it doesn't help that I wasn't really interested in learning Spanish. There were only two languages offered at my high school: Spanish and French, and since Spanish was easier, I took that. To be honest, I also took Spanish because I was aware that some words in Tagalog are the same or similar to words in Spanish, so I figured that if I were to ever become interested in learning my "native" language, that would be a start.

And like practically most of the members on this forum, I took an interest in Japanese after getting into anime, but that's not all. I was always interested in Japan's past history (and ancient Egyptian history), so I'm not just another foreigner trying to learn Japanese so I can brag among other anime fans. Of course, like most people, I tried learning it myself (you know, learning the overused words in anime) and that helped I suppose, but then I really started learning it at Kumon Center for about three years.

Now that I'm in college, I took Japanese both semesters of my first year (which is this year) and I'm doing pretty darn good. Fortunately, even though we learn it at a fast pace (basically three years worth of material in one semester), our teacher promotes a lot of discussion, so we have a lot of practice (which is what I wish my Spanish teachers did). Not to mention, I have a friend who is Japanese (but didn't learn the language until he took it in high school), going to another university, unfortunately, but whenever I talk to him, he demands that I speak in Japanese. At first it's kind of frustrating, but seriously, a lot of practice is what you need to be successful in any language, and I thank him for that.

Back