• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Entei, Raikou, Suicune... Legendary Dogs, or Cats?

Legendary... Dogs or Cats?

• Legendary Dogs

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Legendary Cats

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    This might be a little stretched, but dare to compare!

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    They can't really be classed into one category. Several Pokemon are based on more than one animal. We don't see people arguing over whether Swellow is a swallow or a secretary bird or whether Magikarp is a carp or a koi. Anyway, as for what I think they are:

Presumably, they're all based on myths, specifically:

Entei: Aterui
    Raikou: Raiju
    Suicune: Fujin

Or if we go by animals:

Entei: lion and dog fusion
    Raikou: saber-toothed tiger
    Suicune: wolf

Saying Suicune is based on a cheetah is a stretch, just because it has a couple of white spots on its body and seems to be done more when someone wants to call them cats. Also, Suicune are not fast, they're below average in speed and lower than both Entei and Raikou.

Personally, I call them the legendary dogs. But mainly because that's always what I've called them.

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Id say legendary dogs, but I really dont care if they are, all I know is that they are good pokemon

Aberbecam

Banned
    Years
    Calling them beasts don't make us offtopic....

The thread maker(Darverses) is just asking us about our opinions. He hasn't restricted us to only Dogs and Cats(I agree that it actually makes one think that he has restricted us to dogs/cats after reading the title. But you'll understand everything after you read the first post a little more carefully). So, its entirely our opinion if we don't call them as cats or dogs and call them as tiger/lion instead. xP

I still think that the term 'Beasts' is the most appropriate to them. D=

Actually about the first post.
    He edited his post AFTER i posted my post.
    So there is no other reason to argue about it.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    The Scientist said:

Hmm... this discussion looks very familiar.

That is all.

Oh, look. It's this guy again. .

Entei may possibly be based on the mythical chinese guardian lion-dogs, or Aterui.

Raikou is based on the 雷獣 raijuu, a thunder demon of Japanese lore. A raijuu may take the shape of a wolf.

Suicune resembles a manned wolf in its body type as well as some of it's habits.

Quoted, finished, pwn't, end of story.
    I call them Beasts, not because I don't want a debate, but because I like the way that sounds. They don't really look like a cat/dog to me anyway. Those were just the facts.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    Are you going to post that image on every Pokemon General thread?! >_>

Also, I fail to see how Suicune is based on a Cheetah. :S

Only in the threads that get get posted here way too often (e.g. "HAY GUISE I HAVE A NEW ORIGINAL IDEA, LET'S MAKE A LIGHT TYPE").

Also, that's a leopard, not a cheetah. They don't really look the same.

Because this totally wasn't discussed before that.

Also, that image isn't making you look witty or clever, despite what you seem to think.

Anywhoo: I'm going with Lion/Tiger/Cheetah as well. Horribly mutated Lions, Tigers & Cheetahs. I still call them Beasts or Dogs, though.

lol @ random

That one link I posted was simply a recent example. If you want to keep gong and post a link to every single "Legendary Cats/Dogs" thread that has ever been posted, though, go right ahead.

And my images don't make me look witty and clever, that's what the text in my posts is for.

Oh, look. It's this guy again. .

Entei may possibly be based on the mythical chinese guardian lion-dogs, or Aterui.

Raikou is based on the 雷獣 raijuu, a thunder demon of Japanese lore. A raijuu may take the shape of a wolf.

Suicune resembles a manned wolf in its body type as well as some of it's habits.

Quoted, finished, pwn't, end of story.
    I call them Beasts, not because I don't want a debate, but because I like the way that sounds. They don't really look like a cat/dog to me anyway. Those were just the facts.

Good to see you too, SL. Glad to see you're as... indigo as ever.

Firstly, Legendary Beasts is their official name. Calling them anything else is wrong. Whether they're feline or canine, that's a separate matter.

"Entei may possibly be based on the mythical chinese guardian lion-dogs, or Aterui."
    Oh yeah, I can boldtext too.

Regarding the raijuu, they can also take the form of a cat, weasel, or monkey. Just thought I'd toss that in there.

And regarding Suicune, it is somewhat based off of Fujin, the wind god who wears a leopard skin.

I don't think anyone was "pwn't" here, but just in case...

THE SCIENTIST used COUNTER!

Last edited:

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    suicune is the only one with the resembelance to a dog

entei mainly looks like a lion, but if you look at its paws it puppy like 8]

raikou, looks like a freakin sabertooth and freaks me out!

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Also, that's a leopard, not a cheetah. They don't really look the same.

They're relatively similar. And if anything, Suicune shares more similarities, visually, to a cheetah than a leopard anyway.

Firstly, Legendary Beasts is their official name. Calling them anything else is wrong. Whether they're feline or canine, that's a separate matter.

They do not have an official group name. Beast just means animal, which is why people call them that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    Idk, like a fusion of them. But i usually call them "legendary dogs".

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Well, I personally see Entei as a similar creature to Arcanine, who is obviously canine. I've always thought it was a canine creature.

Raikou seems like a tigery... Wolfy... beast, and Suicune looks more canine to me.

I call them the beasts, because they're much too awesome to be compared to household dogs or cats.

They all seem more canine than feline to me. =3
    xX

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Suicune and Entei resemble dogs.

Raikou resembles a big cat (tiger).

Two dogs, one cat. I typically say Beasts or Gerbils, as neither cat nor dog encompasses all three.

ShatteredRose

Thanks for Noticin'
    Years
    I find Entei to be base off of a lion, but with dog-like features (like someone else said a Mastiff).

Raikou is the only one I really see with cat-like features and based off a feline animal (Saber tooth tiger).

As for Suicune...maybe wolf. But I actually see more lynx in it, with an elongated body, of course. However, it also has some canine features.

So technically they could be consider Legendary Cats...because of their base animals (if you use my base animals: saber tooth, lion, lynx). However, in appearance, they are dog-like; even Raikou has some canine features in its face.

So, Legendary Beasts...a fine term. But I also like the fact that some people are mentioning Japanese mythical creature bases. This is very likely, as well.

The Red Chain

Each of them have both cat and dog-like qualities, so it's hard to say.

Entei ;
    Muscular physique [dog]
    Paws without any visible claws [dog]
    Whisker like features [cat]
    A defined mane [lion specifically]
    Suicune ;
    Slender physique [cat]
    Paws without any visible claws [dog]
    A very defined muzzle lacking whiskers [dog]
    Raikou ;
    Muscular physique [dog]
    Very visible claws [cat]
    Whisker like features [cat]
    Long sharp canines hanging from it's mouth [saber-toothed cat specifically]
    They are cat-dog hybrids in my opinion, but everyone has their own views.
    That said, I think Legendary 'Beasts' is a better name for the trio.
    Oh and before you guys get all >O at me, I'm basing most of these observations off of domestic cats and dogs.

Years
    This might be a little stretched, but dare to compare!

^This. Actually, Entei makes me think of the dog in "Sandlot" (which looks a lot like this, but....meaner. This one's cute!) . Anyone seen that movie?

Can't say much for Suicune. The wolf is close, but personally, I'd just leave Suicune in it's own category: "A very, very beautiful and mystical beast." *LOVES Suicune*

Raikou is a sabertooth tiger, obviously. So really, they're all different, thus you can't classify them in a single category.

I voted "Legendary Dogs" b/c that's what my friends and I used to refer to them as when we were younger.

Years
    While we appreciate your response TCG, this thread is nearly 5 years old, and most of the posters in this thread don't even visit the Pokecommunity any more. Also, it's against forum rules to post in any thread that has been inactive for more than a month, so keep that in mind going forward. If you'd like to discuss something you see in an inactive thread, feel free to create a new one instead!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back