• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eon Flute Soaring

paccy

Pokeholic
Years
This is a port of camthesaxman's 2D soaring feature for pokeruby to pokeemerald.
Check out the original post to see it in action.

QzCLpyc.png
blmnixV.png
ocrao0I.png

This port works in basically the same way but I've also added the ability to fly to routes (minus a few all water routes).
There is a flag (FLAG_EON_LATI) that you can set or clear to change between Latias and Latios.
If you have any suggestions let me know and please contribute if you want to, especially with adding in new music...

Download
https://github.com/Artrios/pokeemerald/tree/soar

To-do
  • Add a flag to swap between Latias and Latios
  • Change the soaring sprites to match Emerald's Brendan/May
  • Add Eon Flute sound and soaring music
  • Add wild Pokemon in the sky

Last edited:
Years
I was just looking at this the day before you posted! Great Work! Are you planning to polish this up further? If you planned to replace the default region map background, I wouldn't mind doing some art.

paccy

Pokeholic
Years
Thanks! I wasn't really planning to do too much more to this but if you want to make a new map you're more than welcome to. It would be cool to have a more detailed map!

Years
Do you plan to fix issues in "To-do" list yourself or is it just listed for those who want to contribute?

Last edited:

paccy

Pokeholic
Years
If anyone wants to contribute that would be great, especially if you know how to add in the music because I sure don't. Otherwise I'll try to do things myself but it will just be at a slower rate.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Just here to say this is brilliant, great job! Really excited to see the progress made on this, particularly sky battles. Sky trainer battles might be an interesting shout if you can get wilds working x

jiangzhengwenjzw

now working on katam
Years
  • Seen today
I haven't read your code, but I guess this is retrieved with MODE 7?

Last edited:

AsparagusEdu

AsparagusEduardo
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Hi, I changed the sprites to Emerald equivalents :)
I made a pull request for it

Years
  • Age 25
  • Online now
I've created a GBA friendly version of Soaring Illusions (the song that plays when flying on Latias/Latios), but for the life of me, I can't seem to get my ROM to build when adding in the Eon Flute stuff to my project. I'm terrible with Github, so I was trying to piece together the stuff that was added into the decompilation by looking through the repository you linked, but I keep missing one or two things, resulting in an error. If it's not incredibly tedious, could you attach the particular files that have been changed/added to make the Eon Flute work? I would be able to then properly test the song to make sure everything works on my project, and post the music along with the files that I changed.

Last edited:

McPaul

On my way to become a controversial and hated memb
Years
Damn same as you bro! Creating cool stuff and all and it never compiles hahahahaha!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Online now
Years
Awesome! Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, could you maybe make a post detailing how you got the custom song into the ROM? I'm so used to all-instrument patches from binary hacking that I completely failed when I tried to insert a custom midi because I couldn't figure out how to sort out the voicegroups and stuff. Sorry if this is off-topic, but I just thought I'd ask.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Online now
Awesome! Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, could you maybe make a post detailing how you got the custom song into the ROM? I'm so used to all-instrument patches from binary hacking that I completely failed when I tried to insert a custom midi because I couldn't figure out how to sort out the voicegroups and stuff. Sorry if this is off-topic, but I just thought I'd ask.

Sure! There's a lot to cover, and I'm still learning new stuff as I try to add more songs, so there's bound to be some stuff that I might leave out accidentally in the post.

Well, here it is! I've attached the .s file that has Soaring Illusions on it. I've replaced one of the songs from FireRed/LeafGreen that's in Emerald's files with this song, since it requires a few less steps compared to adding in a new song. I wasn't able to attach the .mid file for some reason, but it shouldn't matter, since the GBA only uses the .s file to actually play the music. If you want to use this file exactly how it is, there are a few things you need to do first:

1. Go into sound/voice_groups.inc and add this right at the bottom:
Code:
.align 2
voicegroup195::
	voice_directsound 60, 0, DirectSoundWaveData_sd90_classical_detuned_ep1_low, 150, 255, 0, 221
	voice_keysplit voicegroup009, KeySplitTable5
	voice_directsound 60, 0, DirectSoundWaveData_sc88_organ2, 255, 0, 255, 210
	voice_directsound 60, 0, DirectSoundWaveData_sc88_harp, 255, 242, 0, 204
This is the set of instruments used for this song, as well as their particular attack, decay, and other values. It's best to just copy and paste this, because the order, numbers, and everything needs to be exactly like this. I know that some versions of pokeemerald don't have sound/voice_groups.inc, and instead have each voice group in their own file. I don't have that version, so I can't test this, but I would assume you would just make a new file named "voicegroup195" and put this data into it.

2. Replace the original mus_rg_annai.s file in sound/songs/midi with the attached version. Pretty straight forward.

3. Go into src/soar.c, and look for this line:
Code:
FadeOutAndFadeInNewMapMusic(MUS_NAMINORI, 2, 2);
Change "MUS_NAMINORI" to "MUS_RG_ANNAI". Now, instead of the surf theme, you'll hear Soaring Illusions when you fly on Latios/Latias.

If you do all of this, you should be able to enjoy some calming music as you soar over Hoenn! If you get any errors or issues trying to apply this, just let me know!

EDIT: If you want to give it a listen before you add it in, here: https://youtu.be/U839uzH-tZ0

Attachments

• mus_rg_annai.s
    29 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Years
Yeah, that's what I thought to do, but the non instrument lines of code weirded me out. For example
Code:
voice_keysplit voicegroup009, KeySplitTable5
What does this do? Is it necessary? How do I know which lines to include and which to omit? I'm probably just overthinking this, but I thought I would ask just in case there's a trick to it.

EDIT: Also, you might want to make this its own thread or DM me. I don't want to clog up this thread with unrelated music stuff.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 27, 2024
Hi! Thank you so much for your work!
I am trying to patch this to a pokemon emerald romhack without succès :/
Would LOVE to have this soaring feature in Pokemon Quetzal!!
If any of you can help thanks à lot!

Back