• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever encountered the Move "Struggle"?

Years
  • I have very much encountered it. Back in R/B/Y, I encountered it a lot while playing through the hideout areas and never leaving to heal. Or in an intense Gym battle.

As for how it appears, you just use all your moves until they have no PP left, and then select "Fight" and watch it use Struggle because it has no PP left.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • In Silver, my Cyndaquil ran out of Ember and Tackle against a Bellsprout, so I had to use the 35 Leer or whatever it was, then I Struggled to victory. =)

Fee Nicks

TekMage
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    I usually just go and heal up fully whenever my pokes get too battered up, so the only time I managed to see Struggle was when I tried and failed to catch Ho-oh in SoulSilver. The primary reason for this failure was this usage of Struggle - well, that and I didn't really have that many Ultra Balls or any of the balls that would have worked better than what I had with me at the time.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • As said earlier I have ran into Regi's multiple types and they ended up having to resort to using Struggle. My own pokmemon have dealt with that on multiple occasions as well.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Yes. I've come across the move struggle countless times.

The most translucent memory is of when I was battling this friend of mine on the PC shoddy server. It was quite an epic battle really. We both were down to our last pokemon. I don't remember what pokemon he had, but mine was a Snorlax, I think. All of my other moves except for Rest were on 0 PP. Same thing with my opponent. His pokemon had a move weak to Snorlax which I could easily block. And then it was down to a struggle match, and I was victorious (because of my attack EVd Snorlax and countless Curses).

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Plenty of times.
    I can't think of anyone who hasn't. XD Although struggle amuses me to the things it can do though.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Oh yes, I have certainly seen it my share of times during my years of playing. I'm not sure if Cpu trainers can do it, but I can vividly remember it happening while I was trying to capture legendaries. One example that really stands out is Ho-oh. I have seen that bird use it on two different occasions!

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • It happened to me several times on my history as a Pokemon player, but the first time I encountered it, I was really freaked out ! O_O

So, imagine the scene. I was at my grandparents'. Out in their backyard with my SP. I've been trying to defeat Steven ever since I woke up that morning. It was him vs. my Lv. 92 or something Blaziken. (I was 5 years old !)

Then, I chose Fight and I had no selection. My Blaziken used Struggle.

Well, back then, I had no idea what Ethers and Elixirs did. So I just sold them. I also had no idea that Leppa Berries existed. So, I went through the Elite spaming Blaze Kick and Sky Uppercut, leaving Rock Smash and Strength for Steven.

So, er-hem, I thought the game broke with Struggle, so I turned the GBA off. It was a wonder I knew how to save, but I was still stuck at Sydney. After somewhere between one week and a month, I managed to discover I needed Blaze Kick and Sky Uppercut for Steven.

I now giggle every now and then when I see Struggle appearing. It makes me think of what happened back then !

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I've encountered it a number of times, and interestingly, only the most recent instance has been with a Legendary (catching Ho-oh). I remember one time that my Breloom and Norman's Slaking had an epic fight that ended in a Struggle-off... I won eventually, but that was one long fight.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    I actually have history with struggle...

It was brock in firered. the onix had taken out my charmelon (knew i should have used metal claw more) and all i had left was poor sad little metapod...lv4. I used harden as long as i could and onix did almost nothing and i knew i was lucky because his rock throw was always missing. Finally harden ran out...
    then some how even when taking damage from onix and its self he did...
    metapod had slain the onix.

it was a pokemon moment i will never forget

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Yes, quite a few times too. When I was trying to catch articuno on firered it ended up using struggle and killed itself, then I had to shut the game off and try again. :[

Years
  • As far as I remember, I've only encountered Struggle on two occassions (the second one being intentional). The first time it happened to me was when I was facing Red on Pokemon Gold and all I had was my level 100 Ho-Oh after my 5 other weak Pokemon were defeated early. I ran out of moves near the end of the battle, and I figured that once I tried to press Fight it would just tell me that I was out of moves, and I'd lose the battle. I was quite surprised when I got Struggle, but I lost the battle anyways.

The second time was about 4 or 5 years ago on Fire Red, and was something that my cousin actually thought of. He wanted to see Ditto using a move other than Transform, and we figured that we could only do that against another Ditto. We actually took pictures of it and were quite proud of ourselves.

Spoiler:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I've always got legends down to struggle as they insist on breaking my balls and generally sucking in the battle. It is really Irksome to spend that much time trying to catch something just to have it kill itself :l

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Yes i've encountered it.

When I was training my Bronzor in Platinum, every time I would encounter another Bronzor I would use Imprison. It had the same moveset as the wild ones so I stood by and watched as they struggled themselves to death.

Years
  • I think I once faced that move somewhere in the Battle Frontier, while playing Emerald. Since it was about three or four years ago, I don't remember exactly which facility, but it was a Slowking. XD

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Ive done it numerous times. Versus the E4, all my pokemon were strugglers. I finally died with recoil.

Back