• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolutions and shinies that should've been

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Game freak screwed up a lot of stuff in their game, from my point of view; from wrecking what coul've been pretty epic looking shinies, by giving them the wrong color, to simply just not giving certain Pokemon evolutions.

Luvdisk looks like it could've evolved into Momolonga (sp?), but instead, they're not even related to one another; nor do either of the heart-shaped fish have evolutions or pre-evolutions. Cubone was done right with a Marowak evolution, but to not evolve marowak into Kanghaskan, when it has so many features that Cubone has (same eyes; same spiked tail, same coloring)- which could've been its pre-evolution- has, just really bugs me. Same with Venonat to Venomoth, instead of Venonat to Butterfree, which should've been.

Onto shinies, there's a lot of bad coloring on them that Game freak has done, that kills all interest in the shiny for me. Pink Dratini, Pink Dragonair, but a pea Green Dragonite? Ew. And while light opink Espuirr is just as cute as its blue-grey original, I feel like its shiny should've been white with red eyes; as reference to Kyuubey from magical Witch Madoka. And so many shinies are vomit green or just a lighter color than they originally are; some so much so that you could hardly distinguish the difference between that shiny and its original; like Burmy, Garchomp, or Chingling.

Anyone have thoughts on what evolutions or shinies should've been, in the games?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Yes, shinies, a lot are terrible. Dragonite might be the worst. Shiny Nidoqueen, having the same green colouration, should've had the colours of Nidoking, as vice versa is the case. I personally would've liked for all paired Pokemon to have shinies with each other's colours.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Here are some Pokemon that should've received evolutions:

Golduck, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dewgong, Electrode, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Pinsir, Lanturn, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Girafarig, Dunsparce, Granbull, Qwilfish, Corsola, Delibird, Stantler, Mightyena, Sableye, Mawile, Lunatone, Solrock, Banette, Chimecho, Absol, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Kricketune, Pachirisu, Cherrim, Lopunny, Chatot, Carnivine, Lumineon, Audino, Maractus, Basculin, Emolga, Stunfisk, Cryogonal, Pyroar, Furfrou, Gogoat, Meowstic, Dedenne, Carbink, and male Combee.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Here are some Pokemon that should've received evolutions:

Golduck, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dewgong, Electrode, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Pinsir, Lanturn, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Girafarig, Dunsparce, Granbull, Qwilfish, Corsola, Delibird, Stantler, Mightyena, Sableye, Mawile, Lunatone, Solrock, Banette, Chimecho, Absol, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Kricketune, Pachirisu, Cherrim, Lopunny, Chatot, Carnivine, Lumineon, Audino, Maractus, Basculin, Emolga, Stunfisk, Cryogonal, Pyroar, Furfrou, Gogoat, Meowstic, Dedenne, Carbink, and male Combee.
    Hm, actually, I think a lot of those are fine as is, as far as aesthetics go. Absol, Golduck, Pachirisu, Emolga, Audino, Meowstic, Dedenne, Dewgong, and Sableye, especially. Stat-wise, might be a different story, but even that depends on the player. Not everything needs balanced stats because that's just part of the challenge in picking and managing a decent team.
    But Arceus, Stunfisk. That thing needs all the help it can get.

Years
  • First of all, the Gen VI starter evolutions. Not to big a fan of Chespin's family, they should've stuck with Grass/Dark. It makes more sense to me than a fighting type mole. I absolutely despise Delphox. And Braixen had so much potential, I was sure that stick was gonna be a broom. Froakie and Frogadier I like, but I feel they could have done better than Greninja. And then there's Slurpuff and Aromatisse. Words cannot describe my hatred.

As for Shinies, I agree that most shinies should be switched, and I am pretty sick of those shinies that are either green or barely noticeable.

Yes, shinies, a lot are terrible. Dragonite might be the worst. Shiny Nidoqueen, having the same green colouration, should've had the colours of Nidoking, as vice versa is the case. I personally would've liked for all paired Pokemon to have shinies with each other's colours.

I agree with everything in this. Pairs should have eachothers (If not, the same) shiny coloration. And with Dragonite, I would have liked to see a Gold Dratini and Dragonair and a dark-blue Dragonite.

Years
  • I agree with the consensus that many of the similar-looking shinies are wasted, Garchomp in particular. Garchomp did get some sort of redemption with Mega-Garchomp, but I still think it could've been better.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    Delcatty and Farfetch'd are the two pokemon that immediately come to mind when I think of things that to evolve. I also wish that at some point Surskuit gets an alternative (or extra) evolution that keeps the water bug typing, because water bug is a lot more interesting then bug flying. What was Game Freak even thinking when they transformed one of the most unique typings into the most generic?

Years
  • I agree with the consensus that many of the similar-looking shinies are wasted, Garchomp in particular. Garchomp did get some sort of redemption with Mega-Garchomp, but I still think it could've been better.

This.

Garchomp's regular form shiny is one of the worst I've seen in Pokemon history, and we've had a few similar cases. At least we got an easily spotted color difference with the Mega Garchomp. There are quite a few Pokemon out there which I hated the shiny forms of, most of which were colors that looked too similar to the normal ones or are only a darker/lighter shade of the normal colors.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I agree, Pokemon whose shiny color palette is just slightly different is a total waste. Another thing that bothers me is that too many shinies get a purple/pink color, sometimes it feels like GF isnt even trying to come up with something original.
    A 6th Gen Pokemon that imo should have come with an Evolution: Dedenne

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I don't like the shade of green/yellow that a lot of Shiny Pokemon seem to get. It makes the Pokemon look kind of sick. Poor things. And Garchomp, oh yes! I got a Garchomp in a trade once and didn't even realize it was shiny until after I looked at it in the PC. I was shocked.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I agree, Pokemon whose shiny color palette is just slightly different is a total waste. Another thing that bothers me is that too many shinies get a purple/pink color, sometimes it feels like GF isnt even trying to come up with something original.
    A 6th Gen Pokemon that imo should have come with an Evolution: Dedenne
    Don't even get me started on Dedenne. That should've been part of the Pikachu line if you ask me. It looks too much like Raichu for it not to be something leading up to its evolution. Either slip it between Pichu and Pikachu or have used Dedenne in place of Pichu entirely.

I don't necessarily mind the pink/ purple shinies. They could've done worse. It's the diarrhea green on a lot of the shinies that I have most problems with. It's just such a Arceusawful color.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • Wow, I'm surprised so many people don't like shiny Dragonite. I think he looks really cool! Definitely one I would want on my team!

I just hate the shinies that they made one shade lighter or darker. Like Pikachu, for example. I mean come on now! If you have a comparison you can't really tell it's shiny or not.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • A 6th Gen Pokemon that imo should have come with an Evolution: Dedenne

Don't forget Pachirisu, Plusle, Minun and Emolga in the "useless rodents with no purpose or evolution" club. I understand Dedenne's purpose (the electric rodent usually promotes a new game feaure, in this case Fairy-typing), but if they wanted to add in a new electric rodent, why not promote mega evolutions instead and create Mega Pikachu/Raichu?

Back