• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EVs, IVs, competitive battling.. WERE we better without 'em?

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
    I'm sure anyone remembers their R/B/Y or G/S/C times, where they could enjoy the game, without having to worry about "mai pokemanz statz".
    Years ago, nobody here probably knew what IVs / EVs were, am I right? The leap to it from Gen 3 (Gen 4 in my case) really changed matters. Now instead of enjoying (Of course you enjoy the game) you breed like crazy, EV train like crazy, something that you would probably never think about before gen 3.

Of course I enjoy the game, but what do you think?
    Put aside battling, don't say "i liek high ivs rel strong in batl"

HirakuNoShadow

Au contraire mon frère.
    Years
    Well, DV (pretty much the same thing as IV) existed since Gen I, so that's yeah >.>

Anyways, basically natures, IV and EV imo kinda brings more fun and depth into the game; the only flaw that I find is that it is very time-consuming and sometimes frustrating D: Hidden Power does NOT help this either.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    No, I like it better with that. You still can go through the game like normal and do challenge runs, but then you can settle down to really train hard and for ages. I just think it adds so much more to the game.

For me, back in the day with RBY it was just to train to level 100 and GSC made it to chain breed (and train to level 100 :P). But there's all that and more in RSE and DPPt.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I also agree with the above two. It is easy enough to ignore them if you just want to play around, and if you do decide to go onto the competitive scene it adds a whole new level of strategy.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I also agree with the above two. It is easy enough to ignore them if you just want to play around, and if you do decide to go onto the competitive scene it adds a whole new level of strategy.
    My opinion on the matter as well.

Years
    I like how these mechanics give depth to the game, it sets it apart from similar games. Besides, the majority of the fanbase doesn't even realize they're even there.

You don't even have to worry about any of that stuff in-game, there's nothing to complain about. If GF actually made it so that utilizing the hidden mechanics was absolutely necessary to beat the game with, or something that they forced each player into, then there would be a problem.

Why would we be better off without competitive battling? GF started to give a little more emphasis on those mechanics to make the game a bit more fun for a different part of the fanbase, it expands the audience. There's now two different ways to play the same game.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I like them, its kinda annoying when you get a poke with a bad nature, but luckily, you can breed around that, its no big deal, if you don't play comp it doesn't really make a difference in game since anything works.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    EVs were one of the main changes that Generation III gave to battling. Though it's annoying as heck to grind two different types of pokes for an entire day, it allows for a lot more versatility then found in Generation II battling. (many pokes back then had ONE, maybe two sets, and that's not even counting the lack of abilities! )

Another annoying thing EVs bring though, is having your Alakazam get attack EVs for beating up a Machamp!) ;[

The only thing I care for IVs is when I need a specific hidden power type. Otherwise, so long as it has borderline proper nature [and ability], it's good enough for me!

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
    Its annoying if your pokemon has bad IVs and Evs but it makes you feel better when your pokemon has good states so its kinda neural and depends on luck.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2010
    It's something you don't exactly need to pay attention to enjoy the game. Competitive gameplay is what brought me back to this game.

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
    Pretty much was has been stated is that it makes the game much more interesting if someone who has already beaten the storyline to try and test his team against others. Even though you can be investing a lot of time into competitive battling, it does give a satisfaction in the end when you see the incredible team you built.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    I like how these mechanics give depth to the game, it sets it apart from similar games. Besides, the majority of the fanbase doesn't even realize they're even there.

You don't have to worry about any of that stuff in-game, there's nothing to complain about. If GF actually made it so that utilizing the hidden mechanics was actually necessary to beat the game with, or something they forced each player into, then there would be a problem.

Why would we be better off without competitive battling? GF started to give a little more emphasis on those mechanics to make the game a bit more fun for a different part of the fanbase, it expands the audience. There's now two different way to play the same game.
    This. I don't see how it hurts you at all?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I personally don't give a a frik frak. I have my competitive Pokemon on Platinum, but other games I just...play. I don't even have the time to EV train my Platinum stuff half the time. But anyway, no I don't think this ruined the game. Just broadened it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    No, competitive battling added new depth and strategy to the game, yet it's something that can easily be overlooked and it won't affect your enjoyment of the game much at all.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    ^_^
    I agree.

Me, I do all that stuff, but, honestly, I'm actually getting less interested, and more interested in keeping favourites on my games.

But, all the info's in my head, so I use ShoddyBattle. It's like, DSi's for playing, Shoddy's for battling!

Back