• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Exploding iPod Touch sets kid's pants on fire, melts his underwear

Years
    According to engadget.com:

An Ohio mom is filing a lawsuit against Apple on behalf of her son, whose "iTouch" popped in his pocket and proceeded to torch his pants. He had to be treated for second degree burns on his leg, had a hole burnt through his pants pocket and got an underwear melting to top it all off. Also, according to the lawsuit, "He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life." Poor kid! In addition to Apple, the lawsuit seemingly randomly names 10 Apple retail employees, and wants $150,000+ and attorney fees in damages. While we've seen a couple burnt charging cables of late, this is the first we've heard of an iPod touch "popping," and it's especially odd because the lawsuit claims the iPod was turned off at the time of the incident. Whether or not that's true, we'll be certainly keeping an eye on a trend developing here. When it comes to our children, burning pants are everyone's business.

Discuss.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Oh gawd! I lol'd.
    Although, in all seriousness, that would suck!

I hope the kid's mother wins the case, that'd be funny to see.
    I'd better leave before I make anymore jokes about this...
    *runs off*

Zet

Years
    so Apple still has some things to fix eh? Glad I'm still safe with my thoughts of memorized music... unless brains can explode from that :o

I really hope Apple gets around to fixing these problems asap before they bankrupt themselves because of these problems

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Well thats unusual. I have an Ipod Touch so I hope nothing like this happens to me.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Funny things:
    Burnt Pants
    Melted Underwear (How the heck does this happen? O.o)
    It "popped". ?

In all seriousness though, that's why we don't go out with easily-overheatable (word?) objects in our pockets in 100 degree heat.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Wow. Another reason why I'm glad I barely use my iPod....

"He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life."

Ahhh...what does that have to do with an exploding iPod? So we can feel more pity?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    wow, that mom's case is rather flimsy, first of all there is nothing "super-combustible" contained within iPod Touches, not to mention if it was powered off, then there should be no way it could spark even if there was a short. iPod touches have only three components, the battery, the circuit board (which contains the memory, and the tiny lcd screen (which is housed behind an incredibly durable glass screen.)
    the only possibility of the iPod combusting would have to be while it's on, a short from the battery is transferred to the screen ribbon, which in turn shatters the lcd screen and the glass while simultaneously reaching a temperature of above 100°C.
    the flimsiest part is the fact that the battery only caries 3.7v charge, not enough to do more than a singe to clothing.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Yeah... she's pretty much screwed when she steps into the court room. Chances are ridiculously high that stupid kid was doing something with it he shouldn't. If this was a big deal, surely it would have happened more than once and way sooner than now.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    From my point of view, the kid probably exposed it to some kind of heat. I mean, think about it. How many times has this happened? Zip. Zero. NADA. I have an iPod touch and in the manual it says to not expose it to any heat at all. Maybe this is why. :/

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Hahaha.
    That sucks for the boy. Like what if it burnt his jewels? =[
    Never thought this could happen, then again lots of things I've never thought could happen. xP

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Hah. Sure, lady.

The kid was probably doing something with it... but whatever. From what someone posted earlier, it sounds like she's gonna lose her case.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Yeah... she's pretty much screwed when she steps into the court room. Chances are ridiculously high that stupid kid was doing something with it he shouldn't. If this was a big deal, surely it would have happened more than once and way sooner than now.

It's like that kid who hacked his PSP, and it exploded when it was off. Its because the battery was tampered with.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    Ugh, not another obnoxious lawsuit. I hope they loose, frankly. Like others have said, the kid had more than likely tampered with it, and it isn't like Apples saying "lol, we're gonna melt this kid's underwear!" so they don't really deserve the blame. People need to realize that there are just random accidents that, while unfortunate, happen, without any person being at fault.

Back