• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Famitsu's 40 out of 40: Now you KNOW it's good?

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Wow. That is intense. Especially considering there are only 15 40/40 games out of the many years Famitsu has been rating games ; Black and White now making their 15th. O_o;

Go Pokemon. :D

I know that this has been said, but wtf is Nintendogs doing with a 40/40 score? >/

Nintendogs is amazing :(

I am really excited for this game now. More-so than I was before!

Too bad I have to wait until I am nearly 18 to play them. :( Adulthood. GO AWAY! ;_;

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    Nintendogs is amazing :(

I am really excited for this game now. More-so than I was before!

Too bad I have to wait until I am nearly 18 to play them. :( Adulthood. GO AWAY! ;_;

Oh, poor you. It's ok, pokemon's for grownups too! :D

Anyways, yeah kinda surprised on perfect scores. I mean yeah, great games and all, but that perfect? Even a 39/40 woulda been great. But they got the 40/40, so let's hope they live up to it!

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    I think BW sounds great, but I'd not give it a ten just because it SOUNDS great. Have these people actually played the game? O_o; Either way, I don't think I'll be giving it 10/10 once I do play it; most of the Pokemon thus far don't appeal to me at all.
    Famitsu gets the games early on, i think it's the same for other game magazine companies in america.

I think, looking at that list, if the games were re-reviewed, Nintendogs would be the only game that would come down. When that game was released, the technology in the DS was pretty highly advanced, and the uniqueness and gimmicky nature of the game is what warranted the high score. I think all the others are justified, so don't let the fact that Nintendogs is up there detract from the achievement that appears to have been made here with Black and White.
    exactly. when i first so nintendogs my mind was completely blown. it was pretty much the reason why i got the ds. but since it was only really based on technology, it has aged real fast. it was great in its time.
    i really trust the famitsu's reviews as i love most of their high rated games. I bought peace walker partly because of the 40 and it is one of the greatest games i have played. pokemon is definatelly my favourite franchise of all time and to see one of its games get the 40 is very exciting. XD

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    10/10/10 across the board just means that Famitsu just got a **** ton of money from advertising. You can never really take game rating companies seriously anymore because they will just keep getting paid to say things are awesome.

Black and White would sell a tremendous amount of copies, regardless of whether or not Famitsu gave the games a score of 40.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    I don't consider very much famitsu score because I don't like their review method: I mean, there are some contradiction: this pokemon episode was praised for having a fresh feeling when it's not so new (don't get me wrong, I'm super-excited for the changes that has been done, but I will give it a perfect scores when there will be real changes); Instead Super mario galaxy or metroid prime 3 have scored 38 and 31 even if they are more revolutionary and, at the same time, able to give a lot of fun like a pokemon game.
    Instead Dragon quest IX that is the same, episode after episode, has scored 40(?). I mean there are other reviewer more reliable and, in the end, only trying the game yourself can give you the score more fitting for your tastes.

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    k, I really thought this game was gonna suck... mainly because I didn't like Diamond or Platinum. Maybe this will actually be good. :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Clearly none of their reviewers took into account that the main protagonists need a visit from the fashion police.

In all seriousness, this changes nothing. I am still adamant about not buying these games. There's too much I don't like... the new Pokemon designs, the new trainer designs, the fact that I can't fall back on my old standbys for my team, the fact that we have MORE "childhood friends" (read: wimpy attitudes) as "rivals"... and all of that outweighs anything that I may have actually liked about the games.

Amazing how far a little advertising money will get you :P

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    my comment to XanderO abotu D/P vs Platinum
    Spoiler:

i already knew this gen was gonna be fontastic, so hopefully they werent paid :D cuz i have high hopes for this gen, considering gen4 was just horrible.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    my comment to XanderO abotu D/P vs Platinum
    Spoiler:

i already knew this gen was gonna be fontastic, so hopefully they werent paid :D cuz i have high hopes for this gen, considering gen4 was just horrible.

I still have my Plat, HG, and SS but I stopped playing them after I beat the E4. I hate all three of these games. To me they just plain suck. I still play D/P though. My competitive teams are being raised on those and I don't plan on ever picking up the other three again.

I was glad they took out the fire types. I don't like fire types at all. As for the Gyms, I never lost to a Gym Leader until the D/P series. So for me, the D/P gyms were the hardest I've battled against.

Reason I don't like HG/SS is because its just polished Second Gen games with Crystal and Yellow thrown in and given D/P's graphics. I'm praying they don't remake Ruby and Sapphire just so they don't kill my love for that region.

So since the higher rated ones I seem to hate, I hope Black and White can survive more than a week at my house. I really like the systems for it and it be a shame for me to just stick it into my game bag never to be touched along with the other games.

Bay

Years
    Clearly none of their reviewers took into account that the main protagonists need a visit from the fashion police.

In all seriousness, this changes nothing. I am still adamant about not buying these games. There's too much I don't like... the new Pokemon designs, the new trainer designs, the fact that I can't fall back on my old standbys for my team, the fact that we have MORE "childhood friends" (read: wimpy attitudes) as "rivals"... and all of that outweighs anything that I may have actually liked about the games.

Amazing how far a little advertising money will get you :P
    I actually think Cheren might make an interesting rival. I don't know, but I think it's cool that we have a rival that is smart, will give advice, and make sure you're not slacking off.

To be honest, I'm quite not surprised. This is exactly what I expected of this game, and this lets me know that the overall Pokemon designs, while some of them are cheesy and whatnot(and even some of them that are unrevealed), managed to stand out enough to the Famitsu reviewers enough for them to give it a perfect score. :D

Congrats, B/W!
    Even though there are a few Pokemon designs I'm not a fan of, I don't think designs should detract you from playing the games. Besides a lot of the new Pokemon revealed I'm excited for, there are quite a few features and such that I think is cool and will make the gaming experience much greater.

Anyways, this is quite interesting the games got a perfect score. But eh, I plan to get the games somehow anyways, good reviews or not. :P

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I've had a feeling from the beginning that these games were going to be successful. I believe that this 40/40 rating is complete and honest.

Of course, I'm not saying this game will not be a victim of *YourMileageMayVary*. In fact, it's inevitable that the people that can't get their heads unstuck from the past no matter what will obviously spass and hate on this game. If you are not interested, don't even bother. If you decided to drop Pokemon because you only liked the older games, then we don't want to hear your moronic dribble spouting into our ears over these games. Get with the times or get out.

I say Your Mileage may vary because people are loving these games for the exact same reasons people are hating it. As I said, if you are the hater, you are thinking too irrationally. I love the new Pokemon designs. Others think they're crap. Get out and pick back up that damn Game Boy, that is, if its electronic circuits are not ashes yet.

You have to look at this rationally and all roundedly. This Pokemon game will be the best Pokemon game yet. Many people will say that on release day. No ands, ifs, or buts. Do not challenge my reasoning until the games actually come out.

What makes a game good anyways? A game is good based on how much you are satisfied from it out of your expectations IF and only IF you are interested in the game, and seek its entertainment. Of course you nostalgic people are going to say it sucks. You are dividing 0 by 0 by 0, which is completely stupid.

Years
    I really didn't need a magazine rating to tell me whether the games are going to be good or not. Unless you live in a Cave, then you already know about the amazing features and details we've been told all summer long. I knew B&W was going to be a good game months ago.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Famitsu gave them 40/40...?
    In my opinion, this will up the sales. A lot. Just figure it out, Famitsu regulars (which are not Pokemon fans) will read that review and be like : "wtf, perfect scorr !!! omg, need to go pik up da games".
    Well, you get the idea. And the franchise will get extra fans ! ^___^

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    In fact, it's inevitable that the people that can't get their heads unstuck from the past no matter what will obviously spass and hate on this game. If you are not interested, don't even bother. If you decided to drop Pokemon because you only liked the older games, then we don't want to hear your moronic dribble spouting into our ears over these games. Get with the times or get out.

THIS!

I am friggin ecstatic that these two games got 40! Its going to re-revolutionize the whole aspect of touch games and the potential of these little handhelds consoles can do.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    It is pretty amazing to see that only 14 other games got perfect scores from them.

This shoots down all the criticism people had against B&W in my book.

Back