• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I had asked this question before. xD

To toss in another opinion, I'm splitting my fanfiction into three separate books. The basic reason why this is being done is because I'm planning these on being long stories. The story reason is because my character goes through a different development in each different book, changing a large-ish part of her mindset. Yes, the main conflict is still the same in each book, but there are many different changes that I take into account.

Besides, I just love the three-act novel.

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years
    I had asked this question before. xD

To toss in another opinion, I'm splitting my fanfiction into three separate books. The basic reason why this is being done is because I'm planning these on being long stories. The story reason is because my character goes through a different development in each different book, changing a large-ish part of her mindset. Yes, the main conflict is still the same in each book, but there are many different changes that I take into account.

Besides, I just love the three-act novel.

Agreed. The three act novel, especially in form of the Greek three acter, is excellent.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I have a question: How do most of you guys go about naming pokemon protagonists? I'm at my first minor writer's block and it involves the naming of a few. I'm getting some help at SPPF with this.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    As much as I like the idea of naming a Swellow "Joey Tribbiani" I'm not sure if a self respecting Swellow parent would name their child that. :p

I will consider splicing names together though.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I tend to use different languages. In one draft of my story, I used Japanese words. Now I use Irish words, since my main character has an Irish name. I chose her name from looking at a baby name website and finding one that I liked the meaning of. Fortunately, I also have a Irish dictionary, so I'm able to pull names out of there that I like. For the Pokemon, I pick elemental names, like "Lasair" for a Fire-type.

I'm also a history geek, so some of my names come from there. For one team, I have Akkadian elemental spirits; for another team, I have the names of Egyptian gods. In the planning stages of another, I used Greek names.

That's all for the Pokemon though. For the humans, I stick with the Irish names.

Really, just have fun naming your characters. You can get inspiration from anywhere. Just as long as the names aren't really "out there", like "Moonshine Flower". xD

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Concurring with Hanako; a name's good if it feels good so grab your inspiration wherever you feel like. ;3

Anyways, in case your imagination is in need of assistance, you could always try Behind the Name. They've got both a pretty wide selection of names and some of the etymology behind them, which is a huge boon for literature geeks like me. Personally, when faced with a naming decision I start by looking for names with suitable connotations and collocations (That's 'meanings and associations' for the non-literature geeks in the audience); if I find a name that's just right I go with it, otherwise I look up all kinds of names and words with the meanings I want, pick the ones that sound best and jumble them together until I get the effect I want. I'm the kind of person who wants the names to reflect not only the characters themselves but also the wishes of the fictive character who would have given the name, so I'm usually pretty slow with them. As for celebrity names...I prefer to steer clear of them myself, using a well-known name is pretty much bound to drag in a bunch of associations that I don't want my character to have.

I'm more of an RPer than a fanfic writer, though, (and still struggling with getting together the first chapter of my first fanfic) so you'd probably be better off taking the advice of the more experienced people here. xD

Last edited:

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I have two naming questions: Which of the following names would go better on who? The names: Ares, Gunnar, and Daedalus. The Pokemon: A Swellow, who is a leader and a ladies' pokemon, and Combusken, who is an overly aggressive bully, and a Pinsir.

Last edited:

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years
    For names, I think you should really remember the facts about the characters / character that / who name your pokémon. For example, in my journey fic, a character is a fan of a fringe tv series, similar to Pokémon in our world, and names his starting pokémon after his favorite character.

So for that question, it would depend on who named them, I would think. If the Swellows for followers of the trends, they probably would have named him Ares or something, but if they were the celebs or gliteratti of the speciesdom, they might go with something really weird. (Why some celebs name their kids Cookie or Apple.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends on what meanings you want to use. Ares is the god of war, and his Roman name is Mars. With that, you could use the name for the Combusken. Of course, Ares also had sacred birds, so if you wanted to use that connection, the Swellow could be named that. Plus, Ares fathered a lot of children, so that could be another connection for the Swellow. :p

That's using real world connotations. If you wanted to have a lot of fun, you could make up a history of the name for the world your story takes place in. It's along the same vein as what Ranger O'Brien did, with a character's name coming from a television show in his world. When I used the Akkadian spirits, I thought of "gods" of my version of the Pokemon world that would make sense. But again, that could just be my history geek side showing through, wanting to add a deep back story to the world.

Just think about the meanings behind the names and the character's personalities to choose the name they'll receive. You might also want to think of who gives the Pokemon the name. That might help determine what meaning you want behind the name, or even just what name to give them.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Thanks, it's pretty hard actually. Like you said, there's many good arguments for giving both "Ares". I'm leaning towards giving Combusken 'Ares', though. Daedalus could be for Swellow since they both fly, they both have...something that would result in a spoiler, and they both have a large pride...but I'm still having second thoughts. :s

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Ehh...just try to go with those for now. You can always swap them around if you have a change of heart. The important thing is that you have something to call them so you can proceed with writing the story. Once you've written a bit about a character you tend to find out whether the name feels right or not. At least that's the way it is for me. :3

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Same thing happened to me. One character started of with one name and went through two different names before I finally found one that fits.

Shame it was the main character. :p

But that's the fun of being able to edit. You can write a character with one name, decide on another, and just go back and simply change it. You're not stuck with one name. Great, ain't it?

Bay

Years
    Hehe, it's really great that you guys are taking the time to think of names for your characters, both Pokemon and human. Me, I actually don't think about names that much. Maybe it is because I am a bit lazy on the naming department. XD I tend to focus more on the other aspects of my stories like character development, themes, plot, etc. XD

Anyways, I got a question that was inspired by Pink Parka Girl's question at Serebii forums: Does your Pokemon have different personalities on and off the battlefield? Seems to not make sense, huh? :P I will give an example. There was one member at Serebii who said he read a fanfiction of a Jolteon who is fast when battling, but lazy when not battling. XD

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years
    @Bay: Not really, but I sort of don't have good writing with pokemon actually seen...

But I know there could be the opposite. For example, a rival school we played in tennis had more energy into a 'game' they were playing of like kings court or whatever when a couple of their team mates were still playing.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I have a name request for you guys. Can anyone find me an english name that means day/daylight/light? Kinda needed for new fic =)

EDIT: Must be male.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Why is it that nobody ever uses "Lucifer" nowadays? It's such a pretty name. *shot for complete idiocy*

Seriously, though, why is it that nobody uses the names of famous sinners? Is it because we're afraid that some of the evilness will rub off on the people the names are applied to?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back