• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • How often do you procrastinate when writing/reviewing a fic? And if so, how long does it take you to actually accomplish the task?

On writing, not really. Most of the time I'm busy with many other things. Many times I go into the forums either when I'm beat from writing or need a break from it.

On reviewing, I do a few times, mostly focusing on my own fics. XD As for how long, usually range from fifteen minutes to half an hour to write a review as I instantly already know what I want to comment on.

Ever written about someone who is just fabulous?
    None, although one character in an old fic of mine thinks she is. XD

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Well, everyone. I had a great birthday. I'm on my new laptop! :D

Anyway, is everyone feeling fabulous? Cause I'm feeling just fabulous.

Not yet. ;D

Edit: There's such an empty feeling here...hmmm...oh yeah, I'm getting The Sims later today or tomorrow. Asty Jr. much?

Happy belated birthday! Oh, by the way, I hate you for having a new laptop. But not really.

I don't think I've ever felt "fabulous." Maybe "fabulous," but not "fabulous." The italics denote a difference, if you catch my drift.

And I believe I am about to introduce a "fabulous" character. She's a fashion-inclined Umbreon. It's funny. Laugh. LAUGH. Good. Anyways, she has a superstar personality, as she is famous/important, goes on spending binges, and is somewhat vain. However, she's also extremely intelligent and isn't a...something-that-rhymes-with-witch. So she isn't a total stereotype.

How often do you procrastinate when writing/reviewing a fic? And if so, how long does it take you to actually accomplish the task?

Every second of every minute of every hour of every day. Used to take me one to two weeks to release a chapter, now it takes me one to four months. Yeah.

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years
  • And I believe I am about to introduce a "fabulous" character. She's a fashion-inclined Umbreon. It's funny. Laugh. LAUGH. Good. Anyways, she has a superstar personality, as she is famous/important, goes on spending binges, and is somewhat vain. However, she's also extremely intelligent and isn't a...something-that-rhymes-with-witch. So she isn't a total stereotype.

Ooo, that will be an awesome Umbreon. She will be "fabulous"!

*Laughs hysterically* ^_^

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • How often do you procrastinate when writing/reviewing a fic? And if so, how long does it take you to actually accomplish the task?

I procrastinate always, basically, both on writing and reviewing. I think it's approaching nine months on the chapter I intended to post and the review I intended to write.

Years
    • Seen today
    Umm, hi? I came up with an idea for a fic, and I need to know if it's a good idea, overused, etc.

My general idea is that it takes place in the same world as the games, specifically Sapphire or Emerald, only one thousand years later. If you play the games, you know in Sapphireand Emerald, Team Aqua eventually disbands, never to be heard from again.

The idea itself is that Archie continued to study the sea, especially its mythology. Eventually, he stumbles upon a truth: A relationship between Kyogre, Manaphy, and Phione. According to his findings, Kyogre is the King of The Sea, and during Kyogre's dormant states, Manaphy inherits the title of 'King of the Sea' and the loyalty of all sea dwwlling Pokémon, along with a boost in power. Kyogre can't die, but Manaphy can. So, if Kyogre is dormant and Manaphy dies, the title, loyalty, and power is inherited by Phione, who is a very young, by legendary Pokémon standards, and naive.

In my 'fic's current time, Archie's descendant, whom I will refer to as D, finds his research papers. D grew up loving the immaculate beauty of the sea, finding solace there. She begins to develop a plan to kill Manaphy, and manipulate Phione in such a way it believes its doing the right thing with its own choice, but D is really in control.

Well, my main character, whom I call A, learns of their plot, and for a reason I've yet to decide, feels he needs to save Phione. So, he has to fight through their ranks, and try to convince Phione that its hurting innocent people, not avenging Manaphy, and that Team Aqua is the one that killed Manaphy.

This last part, I'm sure you'll dislike, but it's an OT 'fic. Sorry, but that's how I planned it out, so it'll start out with him collecting badges, before it gets to the Team Aqua 'arc', similar to Butterfree's TQFL.

I appreciate any and all help, which is something I need.

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Umm, hi? I came up with an idea for a fic, and I need to know if it's a good idea, overused, etc.

My general idea is that it takes place in the same world as the games, specifically Sapphire or Emerald, only one thousand years later. If you play the games, you know in Sapphireand Emerald, Team Aqua eventually disbands, never to be heard from again.

The idea itself is that Archie continued to study the sea, especially its mythology. Eventually, he stumbles upon a truth: A relationship between Kyogre, Manaphy, and Phione. According to his findings, Kyogre is the King of The Sea, and during Kyogre's dormant states, Manaphy inherits the title of 'King of the Sea' and the loyalty of all sea dwwlling Pokémon, along with a boost in power. Kyogre can't die, but Manaphy can. So, if Kyogre is dormant and Manaphy dies, the title, loyalty, and power is inherited by Phione, who is a very young, by legendary Pokémon standards, and naive.

In my 'fic's current time, Archie's descendant, whom I will refer to as D, finds his research papers. D grew up loving the immaculate beauty of the sea, finding solace there. She begins to develop a plan to kill Manaphy, and manipulate Phione in such a way it believes its doing the right thing with its own choice, but D is really in control.

Well, my main character, whom I call A, learns of their plot, and for a reason I've yet to decide, feels he needs to save Phione. So, he has to fight through their ranks, and try to convince Phione that its hurting innocent people, not avenging Manaphy, and that Team Aqua is the one that killed Manaphy.

This last part, I'm sure you'll dislike, but it's an OT 'fic. Sorry, but that's how I planned it out, so it'll start out with him collecting badges, before it gets to the Team Aqua 'arc', similar to Butterfree's TQFL.

Tip: Never ever type in white. Some say it's more dangerous than drinking and driving because it brings the wrath of people who cannot read your posts thanks to their skin of choice.

The plot seems to have an element of Hero Saves The World Again in it, so instead of making it seem oh so cliché, why not let the hero get thrown into the situation or something? Other than that, it seems cool.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Umm, hi? I came up with an idea for a fic, and I need to know if it's a good idea, overused, etc.

First off, your text is REALLY hard to read (ouch my eyes).
    Problem #1:The only thing is that you are going to have to come up with a lot of new technology in a thousand years. You would even have the same problem with 100 years. Look at how we have progress over the last hundred years.

Problem #2: You said that the main character (A) is going to get badges, not good if this is not the main plot. The reason is because by the time you get through the badges you could be twenty chapters in (One chapter for each gym battle, one chapter for traveling between each gym, and some extra stuff to make it interesting.).

It is orignaly in the ideas of how things work. An OT fic is okay if it is a good one. The reason we don't like them that much is because we get novice writers, who don't know the difference between "its" and "it's", filling the forum with, for lack of better words, crap.

So, if you think you can make it work, go for it. We are here to help (or at least I am).

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • It would be good if you didn't post in white text as on some styles (incidentally the one I'm using) it's invisible.

That's... rather bizarre. She's in love with the sea, so she wants to kill its ruler, generally throwing it into chaos, and then try controlling it through a puppet emperor? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though in blurb-form there's not a lot been explained.

The plot as you have it outlined here sounds to me like a slight twist on the common trainer's journey; it could go well, if you capitalize on the differences, or poorly, if you fail to consider the ramifications of what you're doing or, in general, fall into the common traps that nab OT authors.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that this is supposed to be one thousand years into the future. That means that basically everything is going to be radically different, and I mean radically different.

Also, then there's the fact that this "D" is the descendant of Archie... the way that you put it makes it sound as though she's the only descendant, which would mean that their line breeds incredibly infrequently or recently had a calamitous purge. Additionally, there must be some serious obsession with genealogy in her family at least, if not in society as a whole. Who knows their ancestor of 1,000 years ago, anyway? Granted, records would be much better from that time period in the pokémon world, assumedly, but still... one thousand years? You're going to have to work danged hard to pull that one off.

Bay

Years
  • Arget, since everyone kept mentioning how it'll be hard to have the story set a thousand years later because of technology and such, why don't you have the story set about twenty, thirty years later? True, some advance technology will come to play but not a whole lot like a thousand years.

As for the plot, so far sounds interesting. Agree with Rekhyt you should have the trainer get thrown into that situation unexpectedly. Maybe have the story start off with the trainer having a couple of badges already but then suddenly stummbles into Team Aqua's scheme to have the plot move faster?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, I'd say something about the idea recently discussed, but I'd be repeating what other people have said anyway. :P Does sound interesting though.

How often do you procrastinate when writing/reviewing a fic? And if so, how long does it take you to actually accomplish the task?

Recently more than I'd like, but whenever I've been in the mood to write I've had something else to do... (next week will be much better though for me :) ) My last chapter did take more than 2 months to get out, although inetween I had been working on older chapters and other writing projects, both fanfiction-related and... well, not fanfiction related.
    I try not to delay my reviews by too much, although I do prefer reading a chapter or two at a time... but I do get there, and often within a few days.

Miror B. He makes several appearances in my fic and is the definition of fabulous.
    Same here. Such an awesome character...

More like flamboyant.
    Are you suggesting that he is not fabulous and awesome? Blasphemy! Come DP479, like us take down this nay-sayer with our Ludicolo army!

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011

:O Heeeey, you're that person from PE2K's Ideas and Premises! Gave me a bit of a shock...I shared my thoughts over there, so yeah.

Probably...not. Although Topaz the Shiny Azumarill might count.

Far, far too often. I haven't written a Fuega chapter in a couple of months...everything else in much longer...I get distracted easily.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Are you suggesting that he is not fabulous and awesome? Blasphemy! Come DP479, like us take down this nay-sayer with our Ludicolo army!

But...flamboyant is good, too. ...(in most cases)

Oh, and I'm sure I've had more Ludicolo in my past than you can count. So ha.

Anyway...OT fics. They smell funny.

FAN FICTION!! \o/

Buoysel

Years
  • We need a new topic.

But I can't seem to come up with any ideas.
    Wait, I've got one:

How often do you come up with new topics?

Once in a while.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • How often do you come up with new topics?

Um. Well. That has like...no relevance to FAN FICTION, but I'll answer anyway.

Not too often. Because I'm lame like that. :D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Hey all, I'm having an awful time trying to describe an Umbreon that is going to be in my next chapter. The thing simply doesn't resemble anything else. Here's what I have:

Eon Chronicles said:
    In his lap curled a sleeping Umbreon, another of the waiting four. The predominantly black pokemon possessed a rabbit-like body with thick ears and tail, although her legs and face were decidedly feline. The ring-shaped yellow markings dotting the creature's hide luminesced dully as her partner gently stroked her back, and she yawned widely before returning to her state of rest.

I really can't decide if this is accurate. The only thing I could think to compare her with was a mix between a cat and a rabbit. Here's a picture for comparison:

Umbreon.jpg

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    @ txteclipse - I like it lots. Of course, description is my weakest point, but...mehhhh.

How often do you come up with new topics?
    Very...I'm a fountain of ideas, topic and otherwise. -pokes list of pending fanfics- I should, like, start an idea shop...

Buoysel

Years
  • Hey all, I'm having an awful time trying to describe an Umbreon that is going to be in my next chapter. The thing simply doesn't resemble anything else. Here's what I have:

I really can't decide if this is accurate. The only thing I could think to compare her with was a mix between a cat and a rabbit. Here's a picture for comparison:

Umbreon.jpg

Go with a fox like pokemon, Or a large cat. But to me its more of a fox. I guess it could have the body of a cat, the ears of a rabbit, and the tail of a fox. Then you just have to get the head, maybe the head of a rabbit?

You wanted opinions right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back