• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    For the last part Bay, I'm not saying this to people who do listen, I'm saying it about those who don't.
    Those who listen certainly deserve reviews.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Blue Angel, what are you basing your definition of "beginner" on? Sometimes, a member doesn't say they're a beginner when they post their first story, so you may only see a low post count on a vet.

That aside, let's put it this way: while I don't expect you to want to read all 100 fics, are you really going to dismiss those fifteen good fics because you can't be arsed to read the other eighty-five? And what about the decent fics? There may be thirty in there too on top of the stuff that can be rated four and five stars. They don't deserve to be lumped in with the bad fics either.

All I'm saying is drop the "beginner = bad" crap when you go to review. Yes, beginner writers usually are crap, but you know what? If no one reviewed those beginner writers, how the **** do you expect them not to write anything but crap? They don't know their stories are crap if no one says they are, so yes, I would be encouraged to read all 100 if I actually had the time.

Ignore the status of the writer and look at the fic itself.

I'm really getting pissed off about the elitism of the reviewers here. The lot of you really have to learn that you're not supposed to be looking at length or how long the writer has been at the craft, and to beat a dead horse, you're not supposed to be insulting them, either. The reviewer is there to help the writer by telling them exactly what they think. Beginner writers need feedback too. That's why they post, and that's how they improve. Get off your high horses and help them, or Jax goes and kills a puppy.

They all seem lazy and make us do the hard work.

Hi, Blue Angel? It's because they usually don't know what the standards are. Yes, we have rules, but sometimes, you've got the idiot beginner who needs to be pointed to them.

In other cases, you've got the beginner who has read them but needs guidance because, frankly, they really don't get certain things.

Incidentally, can I say that I find it incredibly ironic that you keep harping on people's grammar when you yourself don't display an understanding of all the rules? I mean, you often randomly capitalize words in the middle of a sentence, and in the one directly after this, you misspell "stupidity."

No, if there were drabbles here, I would read them, because my definition of short has to do with CHAPTER length or PROLOGUE length

In that case, there's such a thing as a good story with chapters being only about a page in length. Although I don't like her as a person, go find Blackjack Gabbiani's work. She has a massive fanfiction called Obsession that's even on Serebii. And despite its location and the fact that each chapter is no longer than maybe three pages in length, it's still a decent fic.

Likewise, again, Stephen King once wrote a chapter that was only a line long.

Again, don't judge by length. Ever. There's always a number of exceptions.

Only Bay seems to get the true picture here. I never said ALL short fics are automatically crap, but most are.

That's right. You never did. But what I and the others are smacking you about is what the following implies:

I know what you mean. There are a few reasons I walk away from a fic.

1.Obvious quality lack(normally after telling them they need to improve)
    2.Extremely short stories(which are normally of bad quality)
    3.The story is too gruesome or unbelievable to continue
    4.The person has murdered the english language, a Pokemon character with no believability and/or the laws of physics.

Already walked away once today.

What you're saying here is that you skip a fic for any of the reasons below, including because it's too short. As in, you walk away from a fic without actually reading it because it's short. As in, you're not saying that all short fics are bad. You're saying you just don't read them because you tend to assume they're bad.

What we're making such a fuss about, then, is the fact that we think you're skipping over a bunch of good fics because you're anal enough to judge a book by its cover -- literally.

If you look at most of the locked threads, a huge amount of them are due to length.

O rly? Because I kinda thought they were due to the quality in the amount of space that's there or because the writer posted an unfinished installment and stated they'd edit later. Because Astinus has mentioned several times (mostly to Buoysel) that length itself is not actually a factor that would get a thread closed.

That and while a number of short fics may be locked, that really has no bearing over the entire classification. If most locked fics are short, then that's not the same as most short fics being locked. Basically, it's like saying that most insects are flies just because you only see flies.

I'm all for short stories with GOOD quality. If you guys have one from a beginner trainer that is short and Good quality, I'll gladly read it.

*motions above to the job of the reviewer*

As a beginner grows, they gain knowledge,

And how do you propose a beginner gains knowledge if no one reviews them to tell them what they did wrong? Magic?

And how do you know which one doesn't listen until you've reviewed? Sure, you can look to see if they listen to other people, but someone has to write the first review. Not to mention that sometimes, the writer who gets a lot of negative reviews from multiple reviewers will either:

A. Start to listen because of the sheer number of people telling him that he sucks.
    B. Leave, which means better quality for the forum.

The worst a writer who doesn't listen and rarely receives negative reviews will do is continue writing in the exact same style, which means the forum gets spammed up with crappy stories from an egotistical author. Even if they don't listen, it's worth it to try.

I'm sorry, Blue Angel. I won't force you to read a beginner's work, but I'd like to say you're being incredibly unfair to the people who genuinely need someone to smack them with an honest opinion for one reason or another.

That and you really need to stop harping on people's grammar until you fix your own mistakes (learning when to capitalize in a sentence, spell checking, et cetera). It makes you sound a little hypocritical.

Last edited:

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • *Laughs nervously while standing far away from all the arguing.*

C...can't we all just...get along? ._.

Considering the mess I got into last time, I will be ignoring this argument. :D

Hey, out of curiosity, I know we're two months ahead, but is anyone planning on sacrificing their souls to the gods of chaos doing NaNoWriMo this year?
    I dunno... I've never done it before and it would be interesting to try, but... As slow as I am on my normal fanfics, I have to wonder if I'd even get anywhere close to writing 50,000 words in a single month when I can't even put out a 10,000 word chapter in that time. Maybe, maybe...

Hmm, maybe instead of making something new for it, I could just write the next five or so chapters of one of my fanfics for it instead and call that my entry. :D

What is the most gruesome thing you have ever written?
    Okay, now this is the interesting one. As a person who goes to a chat I go to and is currently reading through TFC can attest, I have several sick, gruesome scenes throughout it including but not limited to an illusion of the main character's Zigzagoon being stabbed to death, a Manectric being speared to death on a katana as her pups watch, and a chakram-wielding lunatic slicing up several guinea pig Pokémon.

The biggest one and the one which takes the cake is when an assassin slaughters the four Pokémon belonging to a married couple with a dagger and then proceeds to shoot a hole through their heads with a pistol. All while their daughter watches. That scene I described with more detail than the others (it is more important to the overall story after all), so...yeah. Oh, I am such a sick bastard.

...And then you go outside my fanfics and to my other writing which I will not speak of and those can get pretty gruesome and disturbing too. :D I like blood and gore. :O

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    *Laughs nervously while standing far away from all the arguing.*

C...can't we all just...get along? ._.

Considering the mess I got into last time, I will be ignoring this argument. :D

I agree. I was trying to make an innocent vent, well vents aren't so innocent...
    And I got a war.

I'll say for the most part I agree with Jax, although it took a long time to "digest"

BTW, I "randomly" capitalized the words to emphasize them like italics, just because I thought I would have a ton of words that needed to be emphasized it it was taking forever to type. Sorry I made a spelling mistake, I was a little busy ranting :p
    (I have no problem with one page chapters, it's just sad to see so many more with even less than that)

I just wanna drop this and agree with ya. You okay with that Jax?(and/or anyone else)

There is more to a book than its cover.

Let's try a question:

If a main character of your story could meet a Legendary Pokemon or Famous Pokemon Person(includes canon), who would it be and why?(it can be anything as simple as "...Cause their awesome!")

Hmm... I've always loved Articuno, no contest.
    I don't really know much about its stats, but it was my favorite legendary from my first game so that's reason enough for me.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I agree. I was trying to make an innocent vent, well vents aren't so innocent...
    And I got a war.

If you don't want to argue, then reread what you write carefully before posting. =/

Seriously, again, I'm sorry for arguing, but a lot of the time, I get people who go off by saying "I really didn't want to fight" when, really, the entire reason why we'd have been arguing in the first place was because they said something that was objectionable, most likely because they worded it that way without thinking about what they were saying. You're not the first one who did this, and all I'm saying is if you really want to avoid an argument, before going off on a rant, reread what you're about to say carefully. Being on the internet's not all that different from talking to someone in real life when it comes to connotations. You don't say certain things to a person's face without thinking about what you're saying, and if you do, you risk getting into an argument like this.

BTW, I "randomly" capitalized the words to emphasize them like italics,

1. Italics is just a click away. Note the row of buttons above the text box. See the one that has an I on it? Clicking on it automatically adds in italics code.

2. By randomly capitalizing, I mean things like this:

5 Excellent Fics, and 10 Good Fics

but a Trainer who throws all their ideas into a paragraph

that is short and Good quality

Capitalizing the entire word is something I can understand (although I still think it's a bit lazy on a board, considering the italics button is right there and that the italics code isn't that difficult to learn anyway), but just the first letter?

If a main character of your story could meet a Legendary Pokemon or Famous Pokemon Person(includes canon), who would it be and why?

Writing about a character who's already a celebrity in the Pokemon world has its perks. If I wanted Bill to meet Professor Oak, for example, he totally could. However, it'd be great to have him meet Ho-oh, partly because I see it as more or less one of the chief gods of his home region (which means Ragnarok-esque plot bunnies lolwut) and partly because I think his initial reaction would be hilarious.

As for Viola, future makes meeting canon celebrities a bit awkward and full of zombie crack. (OC celebrities, meanwhile, she meets practically every day. Mercury alone's like the Paris Hilton of Verona City.) And I really don't think she's the kind of person who would meet a legendary. I don't know. It's just harder to see her suddenly come in contact with something that big. *shrug*

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    -raises hand- Uh, I know this is a topic shift...but I capitalize the word 'trainer' in regard to Pokemon too. But...only under certain circumstances...it's tough to explain.

I know it breaks all of the rules of canon, but some people choose not to capitalize Pokemon names. -shrugs-

Not that I disgree with you, Jax, but I kinda did a double-take when you cited Blue Angel's capitalization of the word 'trainer'. o///o

Speaking of which...

Do you capitalize Pokemon species names in your writing? Why (not)?

I do, because...I had always seen it done that way when I started writing fanfiction, and that's what looks right to me. But I might revise that in Birth of the Delta, since the Pokemon in the Delta-verse are directly evolved from animals...and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to capitalize "Meowth" but not "cat"...

Years
  • Do you capitalize Pokemon species names in your writing? Why (not)?
    I capitalize Pokemon species named in my writing? Why? Honestly, I really don't know why, it just seems proper.

But as for the actual materials/objects (pokeballs etc.), I don't because it's basically like capitalizing "pencil" or "ruler", although, same can be said for "Growlithe" and "dog" xD

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I don't really see the need to capitalize "trainer," but I think I see where you're coming from, Aqua. It's a kind of word that carries enough connotation in the Pokemon fandom that it would seem to merit some kind of special status. It's like how in Fahrenheit 451, the machine that pumped the sleeping pills out of Mildred is described as having "an Eye," using the capitalization to signify something. I think sometimes you can capitalize a noun that isn't a real name to show a more ambiguous significance. However, I don't use that for "trainer" because I've always thought the term to be a bit like "doctor." You refer to a doctor as "Doctor Example," but you don't say "a Doctor."

It's even more confusing for Pokemon namess, because the word "Rattata" doubles, like doctor, as a name and as a categorization. So, it should be "The rattata walked across the field," or "Rattata walked across the field," if you are referring to a trainer's Pokemon who bears the specific name Rattata.

Last edited:

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    I don't really see the need to capitalize "trainer," but I think I see where you're coming from, Aqua. It's a kind of word that carries enough connotation in the Pokemon fandom that it would seem to merit some kind of special status. It's like how in Fahrenheit 451, the machine that pumped the sleeping pills out of Mildred is described as having "an Eye," using the capitalization to signify something. I think sometimes you can capitalize a noun that isn't a real name to show a more ambiguous significance. However, I don't use that for "trainer" because I've always thought the term to be a bit like "doctor." You refer to a doctor as "Doctor Example," but you don't say "a Doctor."

Well, I usually use 'trainer' for anyone who owns a Pokemon, and 'Trainer' for those who actively go out and compete (whether challenging Gyms, entering Contests, fighting in the Frontier, etc.) It has to do with something I cooked up for T6W involving League specifications.

It's even more confusing for Pokemon names. Because the word "Rattata" doubles, like doctor, as a name and as a categorization. So, it should be "The rattata walked across the field," or "Rattata walked across the field," if you are referring to a trainer's Pokemon who bears the specific name Rattata.

That's what I'm going to do in the Delta series. But name-doubles aren't usually a problem for me, since most (if not all) of the Pokemon in my fics are nicknamed. The only instance so far where a Pokemon hasn't been named was Zangoose, and that was because nobody really gave a crap what his name was as long as he didn't kill them. (Kevin calling Fuega and Freesk 'Charmander' and 'Butterfree' doesn't count, since he, being a human, didn't know and couldn't learn their given names.)

Bay

Years
  • If a main character of your story could meet a Legendary Pokemon or Famous Pokemon Person(includes canon), who would it be and why?
    Bunny would really love to meet Cynthia because both are into mythology. XD

I usually capitalize Pokemon names because of the whole copyright thing and out of respect for the most part. XD On the other hand, I would always put "the Xatu" and such because there's some Pokemon that have nicknames and some that don't. XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Not that I disgree with you, Jax, but I kinda did a double-take when you cited Blue Angel's capitalization of the word 'trainer'.
    Because it was random. I did a double-take at the word "Trainer" because he was using it in a way that meant "writers".

Plus, it wasn't just "trainer" that caused the problem. When writing, you italicize for emphasis. It's just how it is. And PC has a wonderful easy way to italicize words. So it's not like we're all running around floundering for a way to emphasis words other than italicizing, because we have one right here already.

And how were people supposed to know that Blue was capitalizing words for emphasis when it's normal to italicize? And he also only capitalized the first letter, which pretty much makes the word a proper noun to readers. I could understand if he went "that is short and GOOD quality." But still, we have the italics code, italics is generally used for emphasis, and just capitalizing one letter doesn't emphasize it either.

That's just how it is. So don't get weirded out when someone calls out someone for doing something outside the norm randomly.

If you look at most of the locked threads, a huge amount of them are due to length.
    Please don't turn the rules that I wrote to keep quality here into a weapon against everything. The first rule, the longest rule, the most important rule, is for quality. That's all that I look for when closing fics. That, and a writer that's not willing to listen to reviews.

Also notice that I say "unless your fic is a drabble". So length is bull crap when it comes to fics being closed. It's quality.

Yes I do, since they are trademarked names, and it's been beaten into me to capitalize those. It's like Kleenex. I do the same for Poke ball and any other item.

Why do I feel like "nyah-nyahing" and saying "It's a good thing I'm back"?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Yes I do, since they are trademarked names, and it's been beaten into me to capitalize those. It's like Kleenex. I do the same for Poke ball and any other item.
    Good point, but are the names of the Pokemon trademarked in the universe that fics take place in? I guess Poke ball could be trademarked by Silph, though.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    Because it was random. I did a double-take at the word "Trainer" because he was using it in a way that meant "writers".

Ohhhh...yeah, I get it now. I thought he was just using it to mean...well, Trainer. ^^;

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Tip: Read the source first. It almost always clears things up.

Out of writing, I capitalize Pokemon and everything related because they're copyrighted. In writing, I don't because they're usually common nouns. The exception is when the species name is the name of the individual, which it often is because my original characters aren't the kinds of people who would be inclined to give their Pokemon names. So, for example, Viola's haunter is named Haunter, so if the word "Haunter" is capitalized, it's actually referring to that specific one.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Good point, but are the names of the Pokemon trademarked in the universe that fics take place in? I guess Poke ball could be trademarked by Silph, though.
    Understand my thought process and I'll punch you in the throat.

That's the way I've done things, and it's not like my characters are actually reading my fic. So in their world, "Pokemon" might not be trademarked, but in the world where the people are actually reading it is in, "Pokemon" is trademarked. So if on another planet, "Cat" is trademarked and always written with a capital letter, and they write Earth fanfics, they'll going to sit around and argue about everything and get their knickers in knots. And some people will just be wondering why the hell fanfiction is such serious business.

But yeah, I capitalize the Pokemon names. I'm not going to change to please people. They're just going to have to realize that that's the way that I write.

At least I'm consistent about it.

Yes, I know I'm being rather vicious, and weird, and a bit like a effin' hypocrite about this. But right now, I really don't care. I just really really don't.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Pretty much it depends from person to person. There are those that will capitalize Pokemon names and objects and even things like Trainer and Champion. There will be those that just capitalize Pokemon names. Heck, there's going to be a few that won't really capitalize the names, objects, title, and such.

As for the trademark in the universe thing, going have to agree with Astinus on this. Our characters are not reading our fic or anything. I think the only exception is if the character is reading a book, sign, or something. (shrugs)

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

Yes, I do. Why? Well, in addition to everything Asty said, its just the way I write. I capitalize Pokemart and titles like Trainer and Gym Leader (but I think that's just grammatically correct).

Ascaris

boogey
    Years

Pokemon, the noun, no. Pokemon species names in a general perspective, no. But I do capitalize the names of the pokemon. Suppose, its name is Blaze, I capitalize it. Even if its name is a plain Charmander, I capitalize it since it's referring to a particualar pokemon.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And after four hours running around a grocery store, I'm less *****y, but enough so that I'll just poke you hard enough in the throat.

I tried to write the Pokemon names in lower-case, since everyone (the BNFs if you will) claimed it was the "right" thing to do. But it effin' annoyed me to effin' heck when I saw it written that way in my fic. So I just stayed with the whole "capitalize everything involving Pokemon".

And I'm sure y'all noticed that I capitalize "Legendary" when talking about those Pokemon. It's just something that I picked up, and I can't change it.

It makes sense to me to capitalize the names. It makes sense for other people not to. But claiming that one is more right than the other only leads to wank. And while one type of wank is quite fun to do, wank involving other people isn't. Unless the item in question can (not) be proved in canon in all forms of canon (games/anime/manga/all side sources), then you (in general use) can't claim that one group is any more right than the other.

It's just something I wish the Pokemon fandom can get through its head. I always feel like I'm trapped between both sides because a) I'm a mix, and b) I have people that I respect (and care for) on both sides. I just get so effin' annoyed at the feeling that I'm always going to be trapped because no one side can really leave the other alone. (Though one side tends to be louder than the other, and I won't say which side that is.)

*goes to play in a fandom that gets along*

(Shrike, I just remembered! Whatever happened to that "deleted scene" for TFC way back when the trio was captured and the Pokemon were tortured? I wanted to see that.)

Oh. And hi, Div!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back