• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    There's a kitten over there! Have you ever inserted an Easter Egg into any of your writing?

Off the top of my head, for other stuff, I try to, even if it is something so subtle, it makes no difference... I know I tried to get some other stuff in, like the SWC of mine >.>
    Have you ever gotten any ideas from dreams?

Probably... XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    There's a kitten over there! Have you ever inserted an Easter Egg into any of your writing?
    Very, very subtle ones that most people haven't picked up on. Mainly because they aren't *that* interested in the U.S. hospitality industry.

I would imagine so, though It's probably wiser not to ask me for examples off the top of my head, lol.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Haven't written enough, really.

So, who wants to read my Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift 'fic? Nobody?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Wow. Um.

The current discussion in my story has just morphed from lame Pokémon hanging around in the PC to how many Legendaries two of the characters have seen in their lives (one's seen two, the other three - but that was only because the three Legendaries were in a group). Is this a bad thing? xD I've been reading Those Lacking Spines lately, and I think the parody brand of writing is leaking into my writing more than it should. xD

Most of them were to things that I'm quite sure nobody on the Internet would understand, so...

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    *peers about* ... I really missed this place. Yo, folks. Sup?

Oooh, kitten?! WHERE? *franticly searches*

... No, I don't believe I have, to be honest. I could try, however... I've had some character cameos before, however-- like I'll take a character from one story, warp them some to fit into another, and give them an extremely minor cameo-esque role.

... Or is that not really the same thing?

But of course! Most of the time, however, they're character-based ideas; very rarely do my dreams turn into full-scale scenery/plot ideas.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    At the ♦ step, I had the choice of going with Dike, then Dice, then a censored word, then back to Rick, thus saving one step.
    But No... Curses the censored word, and pushes it up the censorer's asses...

I won' get yellowcarded for ↑ that, right?
    Nah, since it terribly amused me. Especially when I was working, and I remembered this post. I started laughing just as a manager walked by talking about some senior citizen who was possibly dead in the parking lot.

KITTY!

Fanfiction Lounge

I probably have inserted little surprises into my fics, but I certainly never noticed them.

Like you wouldn't believe. I had an entire fic that came to me in a dream. Once I would finish writing what I dreamed about, I would have more scenes that came to me in dreams. I miss that fic now. :'(

I do have other fic ideas that come to me in dreams, but those are a result of either pain pills, sickness, or my subconscious mind disbelieving my asexuality. And the latter dreams I can't share with anyone, for hopefully obvious slash-and-mpreg-related reasons.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I hate dreams atm.

Or the fact that you forget them.

See, I was desperately trying to think of a good murder location for a Hercule Poirot story, and I THINK I thought of one, but now I've forgotten.

I have to stick with the circus I originally planned. Which leads to a plot hole as to what Poirot is doing there. =| Best eggs in the world?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You can slowly "teach" yourself to recall your dreams much easier. What also helps is having a pen and note pad next to your bed too.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    I've heard about that-- soon as you wake up or something, you jot down your dream(s)... works too if you're laying in bed and an idea suddenly pops to mind that you don't want to forget.

... I should put that into practice. Hm!

Someone once told me too that drinking a glass of water before going to bed helps. I'm not 100% how though... the oxygen in water, maybe?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    It probably won't help that much, unless if you achieve REM sleep prety quickly before having to go pee.

Though likewise, I've also heard that having an apple (which helps you to wake up), before going to bed (especially as a child), will incur nightmares... But I can assume, at the very least that one would be awake a bit longer.

Also, you can "teach" yourself to be lucid whilst dreaming. That is, you can control your own dream while dreaming.

And not very dream related:

Thanks to Sol. for reupdating the bold topics, its always nice to look at some stuff discussed in the past, like the idea I forgot about, where we just write a plethora of maturely rated material.

And on that note:

Because I assume we are all crazy here, is there certain conditions or things that have to be met, before you can start writing?

Like a certain location for things, a certain drink ready at your disposal, etc. ;)

One definite thing for me (and I'd assume many others) is music... Even though I haven't been writing lately, I at the very least need music... and not a lyrical kind, but something without singing, so it is a little bit easier to concentrate at the task at hand... I'm not OCD about anything either, so it doesn't matter where things are, and I don't need a drink like coffee. XD

Last edited:
    Years
    Because I assume we are all crazy here, is there certain conditions or things that have to be met, before you can start writing?

I need to have no distractions. For me this means silence - no music, no television, no people in the next room talking - and no internet. This would be why (save a few poems) I've never really posted any writing to PC (but I hope to).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Music on my CD player that fits the mood of what I'm writing, the characters in the fic, and my own mood. My bedroom door has to be shut.

I'm interested in seeing if I'm perhaps the craziest one here, since I tend to talk to my characters/muses when writing.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    There must be music. And some inkling of what the heck to write. And I have to be seated at a desk or table... lying in bed with my laptop simply won't do, as I'd drift off to sleep.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Yoghurt and Motivation.

I need Yoghurt to drink while I'm typing, and I also need to be motivated enough to start. Not the yoghurt drink, but the yoghurt itself which I treat like a drink...

Bay

Years
    For NE, I put one Easter egg where I referenced one fic that also deals with the plates. :P For Heart of the Sea, I actually have a reference relating to NE that I think the readers will love if they can find it. XD

Many, many times. XD They're crazy ideas though, some I decided to go through with, some I didn't. XD;

Get some inspiration before I write so that way the writing is easier for me. For instance, I might watch an episode of an anime or read a passage from a book that got me writing a story in the first place before I get the story going. Also, music is good too so that I can get the tone of a scene right.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    I'm interested in seeing if I'm perhaps the craziest one here, since I tend to talk to my characters/muses when writing.

*raises hand* I do the exact same thing. Heck, sometimes when I roleplay instead of just writing, I'll talk to other people's characters too.

So... either you aren't that crazy, or we're both the craziest people here.

To answer the actual question... I don't believe I have anything out of the ordinary I have to do before I can write. I don't count the talking-to-characters thing to be one of them because I do that anyway, no matter what I'm up to. X3;

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Music. Unless it's a roleplay post with a certain character, there needs to be music playing (on loop, mind you) for me to write properly. I also find that having soda on hand helps in writing comedy and other light-hearted things, but that's to be expected. xD

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    Not really, though I always start writing between 7:00 and 7:30 because I can't conjure up the motivation to write otherwise. All I have to really do is open Microsoft Word and I'm set.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I usually take a hot bath for 40 minutes to an hour to just soak, drift, and brainstorm. Then I wear clean clothes, usually pajamas, and get to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back