• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
  • If robots are a species, then it is inter-species. Baley/Daneel from the book The Robots of Dawn, which is part of a series about those two characters.

Y'know, reading about how everyone here can't write romance really confuses me because I can but shouldn't be able to.
    It took me a while to remember who Daneel was... I'm going to buy that soon.

Speaking of more reviews (Misheard, I'm looking at you and your post), I've been thinking of doing a very small thing to get more reviews posted here. It's an idea I stole from another forum (because I'm a klepto like that), only not as extreme as what they're doing.
    For some reason, the fact that you used Klepto in that sentence reminds me of the Sims 3. That's just me though, but I really think this is a good idea. :D

Maybe a thread to remind everyone of the rules and regulations?

Basically, I would pick one day of the week/month(/year?) where I would ask for volunteers for posting reviews. Everyone who volunteers their time would then pick one story, review it, and we would all post the reviews on the same day. That way, the section gains some activity, people get reviews, and everyone's happy. It might even get more people to review, since the reviewer will have a week to work on one review. (Though I'll gladly review two stories, since I'm the moderator.)
    y/n?
    Actually, I'm kind of worried that people might all do the same short story for the sake of reviewing rather than helping people whose fics are long, but can write well. In case I'm sounding hypocritical by saying this, I've been doing all those reviews for the new members who wander into this section because that's basically the only thing I have time for these days. D:

Maybe I can review some veteran fics soon. and maybe get some reviews for my fic. *wink* *wink*

Long time no see!
    Seconded. Because I haven't seen Beachy here since I joined the Lounge in 2009.
    The yearly thing was more of a joke suggestion, poking fun at how ideas just seem to die when placed in my hands. But monthly would be a good place to start, to see what sort of interest we'll get.
    FFOTY jk

Thoughts?
    All for it. (b'')b

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • In case I'm sounding hypocritical by saying this, I've been doing all those reviews for the new members who wander into this section because that's basically the only thing I have time for these days. D:
    I think you hit the nail on the head there, Mizan. I haven't reviewed anything since about September/October and even then it was mostly just oneshots.

Again, I'm for it.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I knew you would be able to guess where it came from, since you're also planning on participating over there.

And what am I, chopped liver? D: Anyway, yeah. There will probably be a couple of protests about "But only picking one person to review isn't fair to everyone else!" but it sounds like a nice idea to me. I think once or twice a onth would be a suitable opportunity, and maybe if people like it enough we can do it more often?

EDIT: I misunderstood. Never mind~!

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • In case I'm sounding hypocritical by saying this, I've been doing all those reviews for the new members who wander into this section because that's basically the only thing I have time for these days. D:

I usually browse the first page for stories that haven't had a reply yet, and then if the review is not going to take all afternoon (aka how was it? badf!c) I'll do it. Thats when I'm on, not doing something else.

Astinus, I like the idea, I'm willing to help, though I am not sure how much time I will be able to spare to the idea. Full time job + college in a couple of months = very little free time.

Gah, I started a project for PC, and I am almost done, but it had taken almost all of my writing time away this week. I did mange to get over 500 words typed, Now if I can just type 2000 words in 12 hours, or maybe just finish this chapter; I don't know how long its going to be. I want to meat at least one goal this week. (T_T)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I usually browse the first page for stories that haven't had a reply yet, and then if the review is not going to take all afternoon (aka how was it? badf!c) I'll do it. Thats when I'm on, not doing something else.
    Yeah. Same here. D: You explained it better. :D

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Speaking of more reviews (Misheard, I'm looking at you and your post), I've been thinking of doing a very small thing to get more reviews posted here. It's an idea I stole from another forum (because I'm a klepto like that), only not as extreme as what they're doing.

Basically, I would pick one day of the week/month(/year?) where I would ask for volunteers for posting reviews. Everyone who volunteers their time would then pick one story, review it, and we would all post the reviews on the same day. That way, the section gains some activity, people get reviews, and everyone's happy. It might even get more people to review, since the reviewer will have a week to work on one review. (Though I'll gladly review two stories, since I'm the moderator.)

y/n?

Feign, you do realize that we have a topic that everyone else is discussing? As Nick (the moderator who started this thread way back when) said, this is the DCC of this section. Which means that you can't randomly go off-topic when there's a topic being discussed.

I allow randomness when the FFL has been dead for a few days, but right now an idea on how to revive this section is being tossed around.

So it's decided on a month per round for this. How about the amount of reviews each person does? There are two ways to figure that out: either everyone does the same amount or reviews in the time allowed, or each person picks their individual review count.

I, personally, am leaning toward the latter option, if only because only the individual can correctly guess how many reviews they can get done in the time given. If I say "three reviews in a month for everyone", then some people might get that done faster, while others may only have time for one or two. (This also depends on the length of the fic and review.)

Thoughts?

Hmmm I swear there was a later bit to my post, I guess not. Oh delirium how I do thrive off thee...

Anywho, as per the idea, I don't mind it either, it would even give us a chance to practice our proper reviewing skills. Plus it gives me an excuse to get my own fic done (especially this week, as mentioned above). It might have to be a bit flexible though, seeing as some of us are more busy than others.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I did mange to get over 500 words typed, Now if I can just type 2000 words in 12 hours, or maybe just finish this chapter; I don't know how long its going to be. I want to meat at least one goal this week. (T_T)

Hey - if I can write an eleven-page oneshot in one day (which I've done) and a seven-page chapter in a day (which I've also done), then 2000 words should be a breeze for you... no matter how lazy or blocked-up you are with your writing, I'm more so. >D

/failed attempt at motivation

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Hey - if I can write an eleven-page oneshot in one day (which I've done) and a seven-page chapter in a day (which I've also done), then 2000 words should be a breeze for you... no matter how lazy or blocked-up you are with your writing, I'm more so. >D

/failed attempt at motivation

Thanks, I only have ~1500 words to go; I can has bold topic. lol

When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?

Oh boy, don't even get me started on the description. > .> Anyway, Casey's outfit is almost identical to one certain Trainer class save for a red-and-gray bandanna (the colors of the Rock Megaphone). Caro has his Raichu hoodie and blue jeans, which is pretty much self-explanatory. Grant's cape is a generic blue BDV one turned inside out, and below that is all black from... well, somewhere. >:3 Sheridan's got a green shirt to match the tips of her hair, brown pants just because, and a long jacket meant to be a sort of Sherlock Holmes-y overcoat in a less-pocket-infested form.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?
    Apparently, Phaiel, wears a Dark-red longcoat with a black shirt and black pants. Though, it's not to be confused with Ed from FMA since it's a jacket kinda like Train's one from Black Cat. Or Hei's one from DTB. I chose the colors because I thought it was badass. And uh, it has some connection to Team Magma.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?
    No, I think I only mentioned Leah was wearing a jacket, but that's about it. I do know what her entire outfit looks like (I draw her often), but I didn't see the point of describing any more of it. Though, I did describe more of Ed and Ally's clothing, but the colors had no meaning.

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 12, 2010

Of course! :> Describing what my characters wear is very important, especially since Mark Antony's clothes is a military uniform. His uniform is a dark silver with gold trimming to represent Johto, and it's based off a Civil War uniform I googled. When he gets a major wardrobe overhaul later on (Chapter Seven), I'll be sure to describe that, too. Hehe, I still wonder what I was thinking when I thought of his second wardrobe about a year ago. xD

- Kat

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Not at all. Unless the clothes item has some significance (like how a character wears a white hat to show that he's on the "good" side), the clothes don't get described at all. I know what my characters wear in the story, but what it is that they do wear doesn't get described. Reason because even if they were described when the character was first introduced, by the time a later chapter rolls around, the clothing really doesn't make much difference, unless it does have meaning. Then it's mentioned whenever necessary (like the white hat).

Periodically, I might make some mention of what the characters are wearing if another character notices it/makes mention of it, like how one character tends to be wearing skirts as they travel through a strange world or how one character noticed the color of his gloves.

Edit!

Actually, I'm kind of worried that people might all do the same short story for the sake of reviewing rather than helping people whose fics are long, but can write well. In case I'm sounding hypocritical by saying this, I've been doing all those reviews for the new members who wander into this section because that's basically the only thing I have time for these days.
    What if each person who volunteers for this picks the fics that they will read? This way, everyone participating knows who is reading which fic, so that there's no doubles (at that time).

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • What if each person who volunteers for this picks the fics that they will read? This way, everyone participating knows who is reading which fic, so that there's no doubles (at that time).
    That might work... This is monthly right? Because some fics that might be interesting might be too long to read in a short period of time. But still, besides that, I'm all for the idea.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Monthly. It could go weekly, but as you said, that wouldn't leave enough time for people who have busier schedules to read longer fics and write a review.

Also, everyone, your moderator has a horrible memory. Refresh it by asking about an idea you want to see implemented that we had already discussed.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Monthly. It could go weekly, but as you said, that wouldn't leave enough time for people who have busier schedules to read longer fics and write a review.

Also, everyone, your moderator has a horrible memory. Refresh it by asking about an idea you want to see implemented that we had already discussed.
    Lol, FFOTY...

That's only if everyone agrees about it. Though, come to think about it, we're having two projects simultaneously now.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Maybe this will help FFotY? It will get more fics read, which means that people will know better what's in this section. And with the nominations (it was nominations, right?), the overseer could see how other people "rated" the fic.

I think right now I'm just pulling words out of thin air. But I do see a way to make both these ideas work together. They seem like they could.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    So those fics that are part of the above idea (the one to be chosen to review), will be available for candidacy?

I think that's how I'm reading it, for whatever reason, I'm thinking it is that the most helpful reviewer will have their fic made the FFotY, though I think it was the former...

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I would think, if we're going to try and bring FFotY back, we'd need a wider readerbase. Maybe we should advertise around the forums for new writers/reviewers? Because as it is now . . . I know I don't read nearly enough fanfiction to nominate many for awards. I'm making little sense here, but do you get me?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Maybe this will help FFotY? It will get more fics read, which means that people will know better what's in this section. And with the nominations (it was nominations, right?), the overseer could see how other people "rated" the fic.

I think right now I'm just pulling words out of thin air. But I do see a way to make both these ideas work together. They seem like they could.
    Hmm, yeah, they do seem compatible. Maybe the member nominator system could be thrown out the window and we'd just nominate the fics that went through the twelve months. But then, we'd still need people to nominate them for different categories.
    eg.Fave Character
    Fave Plot

Stuff like that. I'm not being grammatically correct in the above sentences because I'm trying to be fast.
    I think that's how I'm reading it, for whatever reason, I'm thinking it is that the most helpful reviewer will have their fic made the FFotY, though I think it was the former...
    But you could be the most awesome reviewer in the world, but you could have written the worst fanfic. :P XD

I would think, if we're going to try and bring FFotY back, we'd need a wider readerbase. Maybe we should advertise around the forums for new writers/reviewers? Because as it is now . . . I know I don't read nearly enough fanfiction to nominate many for awards. I'm making little sense here, but do you get me?
    That's basically the main problem. Not enough people come here and those that do don't really read enough fics.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back