• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Faraway Island

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Faraway Island

Faraway Island was a event exclusive island that was only accessible in Emerald. It required the Old Sea Map, which unfortunately cannot be obtained no more, as the event has passed by. Although you can still visit it through some cheating. It was home to only one Pokémon. Mew, the Pokémon to believed the ancestor of all.

Faraway Island

This is the only legit place where you can catch Mew without it being a glitch, or a gift. It comes at Level 30, and isn't shiny locked. You may even name it, due to it having the same ID as your other Pokémon. It also had a interesting way of interacting to it; you have to chase it through the grass, and it will most likely take some time to finally reach it.

There's also some vaguely intriguing text on a sign that resides outside the woods inside.

"The writing is fading as if it was
    written a long time ago…

"…ber, 6th day
    If any human…sets foot here…
    again…et it be a kindhearted pers…
    …ith that hope, I depar…
    "
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

What are your thoughts on this island? Did you ever get the ticket, or did you miss it? Or did you not even know about it?​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    This event will almost certainly come to the remakes, I'm certain of it.

This is one of Gamefreak's biggest mistakes in my opinion, not giving this event out worldwide or at least not uniquely to Japan. Mew is so popular, and I remember the Internet WAY back in the days of this event happening and people were NOT happy. I recall feeling extremely let down to be honest, but I got to a fair few of my own events in Gen III so I guess I'm luckier than most. That being said however, the Mystic Ticket was distributed wider in the US and Europe than it was in Japan, so at least we had that going for us.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've always wanted to visit this place, but was never able. Well, at least when I had physical copy of these games, anyway. I'm a huge fan of Mew, and would've loved it if I were able to get capture it all by myself. I did get a hold of this Pokémon at some point, but that's only because my friend gave it to me. When I started playing Emerald on emulator, I was finally able to reach Faraway Island, but... that doesn't exactly count to me, since, well, it was on emulator, and not a real cartridge. Wish it were, though!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I never got to see that event because... I was 10 at the time and the internet was still young and I only used it to play Runescape LOL. Hopefully an event similar to this one will appear in ORAS :D

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I've never heard of this island before I read this thread. A new first for me! I hope this feature comes to ORAS, not as an event, but as part of the game. I would love to catch Mew for the very first time.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never got to go to this island with a legit[/s] Old Sea Map, but I accessed a hack version of Pokemon Emerald which had the OSM on it, so I was able to go and capture Mew myself :) It's quite a peaceful island, but also kind of creepy at the same time because there's literally nothing besides grass and mew there and the music is kind of.. ominous.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Funny story I remember years ago seeing that you needed the old sea chart to get Mew and I didn't know it was an event. So what I did was go to the abandoned ship thinking if there was any place more fitting for an old sea chart to be located it would be there. So I went there searched for hours than decided to go online and search for the exact location. That's when I found out its event only. I was crushed.

Years
  • I heard about it way back, and I never got the ticket for it. But I used an Action Replay to visit the island and catch Mew there, it was alright. And the Abandoned Ship's music being there makes it feel adventurous, haha.

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
    Years
  • I'm realy hoping Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will allow the player to go to this place without a mystery gift event.

Three places were open to Emerald through mystery gift. Faraway Island for Mew, Navel Rock for Ho Oh and Lugia and Birth Island for Deoxys.

I mean unlocking these places after you beat the Elite 4 and Wallace, That's if he ends up being Champion and then beating Steven afterwards. Sort of how beating Red in H/G and S/S unlocks the embedded tower feature for Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    I'm realy hoping Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will allow the player to go to this place without a mystery gift event.

Three places were open to Emerald through mystery gift. Faraway Island for Mew, Navel Rock for Ho Oh and Lugia and Birth Island for Deoxys.

I mean unlocking these places after you beat the Elite 4 and Wallace, That's if he ends up being Champion and then beating Steven afterwards. Sort of how beating Red in H/G and S/S unlocks the embedded tower feature for Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza.

If the gift will be sent over wifi it wouldn't be all that bad. Most other events are at Gamestop or Toysrus, and both stores are pretty common. I do agree though it would much nicer if it was postgameplay or something obtainable through normal means

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Just like how the GS Ball event was going to be in HG/SS.

... Oh

The GS ball was anime based. Only the Japanese version of Crystal had it as an item obtainable through normal means. The faraway island event however is in the third gen hoenn so it makes sense to put it in the remake. HG and SS were more like Cyrstal than their respective games so it would make sense that the same would be true for OR/AS. Gamestop/Pokemon Company has been more and more generous when it comes to events and pokemon with hidden abilities.. They use it as a selling point for the games. Faraway Island would just be another selling point.

Back