• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Favorite Attacks/Moves in Gen V

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Since this thread has unfortunately faded away into the deep black abyss, I thought I would restart it...

For starters, I have problems with these three moves that are disgraces to the Fire-type (specifically #1 and #3):

1. Flame Burst - exactly what is the point of it? I know some Pokemon that can learn it can't learn Lava Plume, but they're essentially the same thing! In single battles, Flame Burst is outclassed by Flamethrower which has equal accuracy and PP, yet higher power. A similar thing could be said for Lava Plume.

In double battles, while Flamethrower is limited to a single target, Lava Plume shines as its effect is field-wide, affecting all Pokemon in battle except the user. Lava Plume has equal PP and accuracy to Flame Burst, with what is IMO a superior attack. While Flame Burst only nibbles 1/16 off adjacent Pokemon, Lava Plume hits all opponents and comes with a 30% chance of burning. The only benefit to Flame Burst I can see is if you don't want to hit a certain Pokemon with Lava Plume, but I don't think that warrants Flame Burst's inclusion when several superior alternatives are available.

2. Flame Nitro Charge - I do not know why the localizers felt the need to change the name, because this could easily get confused with Flare Blitz's effect or the name Flame Burst. The main problem I have with this move is the somewhat low base power, but I guess it compensates for the 100% Speed increase per use (IIRC).

3. Incinerate. Sigh...this is a move called Incinerate (Complete Burn in Japanese, even worse), and it's weaker than Ember AND Fire Spin? And it can't even inflict the Burn status condition the opponent!
    Favorite Attacks/Moves in Gen V
    (according to Bulbapedia)
    I wish they could have applied its secondary Berry-burning effect to something like Heat Wave (which also shares the field-wide damage effect of this move). Then the name would make much more sense... At the very least, give it much more base power!

On a more positive note, V-Generate and Ball of Flame are pretty awesome. :D Ball of Flame's accuracy, IMO, is what Heat Wave should have had along with the field-wide damage. I am quite surprised that the localizers kept the move name Purgatory, though; that's one of the names I thought would be changed for sure, as the main place I hear it used is in religious contexts. :o

Last edited:
    Years
    Well...y'know I have no idea why they added more special fire attacks. Nitro Charge was needed, believe me, but I think we should be paying attention on the lack of Steel-type attacks.

There's only Flash Cannon, Steel Wing, and Iron Tail.

That's pretty much it. WHERE THE HELL IS MY 100 BS STEEL TYPE ATTACK, ME AND MY AGGRON ARE NOT AMUSED.

But I find it funny that Poison gets attention for this gen. They get their Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower equivalent: Slime Wave. Though Sludge Bomb has a higher chance of poisoning, Slime Wave almost has 100 Base Attack, and considering Stab, it easily goes above it, so no need for Gunk Shot anymore.

But I'm disappointed in no more Stealth Rock.

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
    I actually haven't had a look at the hm/tm moves...Im thinking i might stay pure on this one....meh stuff it! Where can I get the list??

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    My favourite attack this generation from what I've seen (I've kinda been avoiding spoilers) is boiling water, in other words ... scald. :( I actually decided on getting Emboar for this reason, because fire types learning a water type move is just amazing. Plus the chance of burning is awesome. :D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    My favourite attack this generation from what I've seen (I've kinda been avoiding spoilers) is boiling water, in other words ... scald. :( I actually decided on getting Emboar for this reason, because fire types learning a water type move is just amazing. Plus the chance of burning is awesome. :D

I think it's great that Emboar can learn Boiling Water as well, too; the concept was well implemented in BW. :) I can't use it on my moveset, though, because three of the moves I plan to teach it (Flare Blitz, Wild Bolt, Head Smash) will be dependent on the Dream World Reckless ability, and I wanted to fill the last moveslot with Hammer Arm to take advantage of the Fighting-type STAB that Emboar recieves. :cer_nod:

The renaming of Boiling Water to Scald gets on my nerves, though. :cer_pissed: Whenever I think of Boiling Water, I visualize actual hot, steaming water getting splashed on the opponent. Scald makes me think of the actual burn injury and skin disfiguration. Compare the Google Image Searches of Scald with Boiling Water, and tell me which one makes you cringe more. >_>

If we can have SmellingSalt displayed as a move without spaces, I don't see why the localizers couldn't have used the textual rendering of BoilingWater. :(

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
    OMG, YES, SHELL SMASH. <333
    That move is entirely so cheap. xD +2 -1 +2 -1 +2 to your stats, so this move increases your stats by 4 stages. That's pretty outrageous! XD

This Gen moves got a total upgrade. I mean seriously, V-Generate?! It's so powerful!! Not as powerful as Selfdestruct and Explosion, but those kill you! XD

The only thing I don't like about the TM's is that they took away old ones to add new ones. I mean, they could of just added a bunch more. :[ I liked Roost...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Favorite Gen V moves:
    -Scald (bulky Waters now provide extra support)
    -Shell Smash (the reason why Cloyster is one of the most threatening sweepers)
    -Sacred Sword (cool animation)
    -Blue Flame, Lightning Strike, Cross Thunder, Cross Flame (same as above)
    -Leaf Tornado (the fact that Carnivine, Shiftry and Tropius got it too ruins its uniqueness, however)
    -Razor Shell (they gave a base 75 power move to Oshawott at a low level, just before it evolves. Sweet)
    -Flame Charge

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    As we're trying not to make the threads available too broad here, I've renamed the thread to Favorite Attacks/Moves in Gen V. Since we're not only discussing the TM moves, I've made it this title for that specific reason. Carry on!

As for me, some of my favorite moves are Boiling Water and Sacred Sword. The animation for these two moves are pretty cool, and I like the moves for their given effect as well. :>

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I have not seen animations for any of the 5th gen attacks (i want that to be a surprise) but from what I have seen I like Scald and Sludge Wave the best. I like Scald for all the reasons members have posted above and I like Sludge Wave because of its high 95 power, its 100% accuracy and the fact it has a chance of poisoning. It only just outclasses an old favourite of mine, Sludge Bomb.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    I like Heat stamp, mainly becuase when I imagine Pignite using it, I imagine it attacking in a piledriver like pose, and the way it shakes the ground when it hits, awsome!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like the signature moves of Reshiram and Zekrom where they turn into a ball or flame/ Ball of Electricity respectively as they showed in the commercials...forgot their names...
    I also like Frozen world...mainly because of it's name

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    OK, Zekrom being unable to learn Charge with its freaking TURBINE TAIL is somewhat odd...even little Pokemon like Emonga can learn it... >_>

Also, as much as I'm avoiding Kyuremu at all costs:

-only 65 base power for its signature move, Glaciate?! And it's only +10 from Icy Wind, with so much potential... T_T Something from the 90-130 range would have been nice...

-Aaaugh...even worse is that Kyuremu's rumored moves, Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt Blitz, are the same thing as Sky Attack with the charging... They would have been so much more awesome if they didn't require charging beforehand prior to execution.

It's like all its signature moves are unusable! T_T I hope Gray Version provides some drastic improvements to Kyuremu's stats and movepool. And I really hope that Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt Blitz get their charging requirements axed in Generation 6 or something...

Furthermore, why do the majority of legendary Pokemon have two signature moves? To say nothing of all those Pokemon who can't even acquire decent moves (i.e., Flareon CONTINUING to lack Flare Blitz).
    The thematic concept of Cross Flame and Cross Thunder is very nice, but why would anyone go out of their way to use it on a Dragon-type when all they'll end up doing is not very effective damage? Plus, the boost is dependent on the opponent as well, not to mention requiring crucial timing when executed. I would assume most people would just go with Blue Fire and Lightning Strike instead rather than the "Cross Fusion" moves...

As mentioned before, Kyuremu's has two rumored moves with excellent mechanics, except they're crippled by the charging requirement.... Glaciate isn't exactly powerful stuff, either, and lacks enough variation from Icy Wind to justify its inclusion. Three decent-in-theory signature moves, and they're essentially unwieldy... T_T

And why did Victini have to get two signature moves, V-Generate (180 base power and 95 accuracy; lowers Defense, Special Defense, and Speed; damages adjacent allies) and Searing Shot (100 Base Power and Accuracy; 30% chance of burn)? It seems pretty obvious which one will get used more; there was no need for two of such moves.

Finally, what is the point of Buffafro getting Afro Break/Head Charge? Just let it learn Double Edge; it's the EXACT SAME THING (unless you consider Afro Break's recoil damage of 25% of damage dealt, rather than 1/3)! I know it's cool that Buffafro has an afro and all, but this is essentially a complete waste of a move when Double-Edge was just as viable! Strangely enough, Igglybuff learns Double-Edge, and Buffafro can't (presumably due to its "signature move" being a blatant unjustified ripoff).

Sigh...I'm a bit worried about what moves will be discovered in Generation 6; it seems that Game Freak is running out of ideas already due to a number of redundant moves. And coming off of Generation 4 makes it worse, as Gen 5's predecessor pioneered innovation in creating some much needed moves (i.e, Flare Blitz and Bug Buzz). :cer_no:

Last edited:

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Definitely scald
    and psyshock

I think these are the new ones that I actually use.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Acrobatics
    Flame Charge
    Quiver Dance
    Dragon Tail
    Stored Power
    Scald
    Gear Change
    Hex

My fave moves all have side effects. Yay. Also looking forward to using ROLE PLAY monkeys ^__^

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I like the concept of Soak Waterlog, but hardly any of the few Pokemon that learn it can put it to good use! For the most part, only Octillery has Grass-type and Electric-type moves for abusing capabilities; other learners of Waterlog have to rely on Double and Triple Battles for optimal use.

I wish it were a TM instead...if you get hit by any Water-type move, you should be "soaked" by default. But I guess there's a difference between merely soaking the foe and waterlogging opponents...? I mean, Water-types who can learn Thunderbolt and such would love to have Waterlog in their movepool (which it "technically" should be in already, by virtue of being Water-type...)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Horn Leech is probably a fave'; 75 base ATK, and half of your damage is regained as HP.

I've fully healed Sawsbuck from 35 to 200HP in two hits from that thing, not counting Leech Seed harhar

Back