• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Favorite era of music?

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    What do you guys think is the best era of music we have had thus far?

Personally, I am content with the music we have had in the past ten years. It's definitely shaped me into the person I am today and I am very grateful for that. Most of my favorites have come from this current time period (whilst there are many greats from other eras in our time). It's really wonderful to see the evolution in genres and styles we have had, while still owing major respect to those that have influenced the styles before us.

How about yourselves?

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • 60s rock, 80s/90s alternative and 90s/10s hip hop are the eras I listen to and explore the most right now. Also am a fan of the bigger bands of the 00s garage rock revival

Years
  • Right now, maybe? I mean, it's hard to say because every moment there is more music in existence to inspire and influence music that hasn't been made yet. It's also hard to look back to past eras. You either have nostalgia for it and overlook the bad stuff, you weren't around at the time so you only know of the good stuff that's survived into the present day, or you see its limitations and mistakes that weren't apparent at the time thanks to hindsight. Plus any past era is over whereas the current one is always ongoing.

Sorry, didn't mean to get too philosophical there. I do think that right now we're in a good era of music because we have more options than every before and everyone can listen to whatever they want.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • On the 'popular' side of music, I can without any doubt say the 1960s and 70s. I like music mainly for instrumentation, and in the 60s/70s they had it right.

On the 'classical' side it's much, much harder. I love, love, love Baroque. But also Classic era. But then French Impressionism is truly on a level of its own... Then, Early Music is, too. I can't really give an answer here...

Years
  • Adding to what I already posted, I've heard a pet pet theory that 1971 was the best year for music. Well, rock music anyway, but there is a lot of really good music from that year overall. David Bowie's Hunky Dory, Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Who's Next by The Who, Led Zeppelin IV (with Stairway to Heaven), Imagine by John Lennon. Music by The Doors, Earth Wind & Fire, Carole King, Sly & The Family Stone, and also the Theme from Shaft by Isaac Hayes and American Pie by Don McLean.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    I might be wrong but I think "anime/ game ost" is the best in the current era because 30 years ago, game ost did not exist.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • I love lots of songs from different eras, but I'm in the same boat as Hibikaze in the mind that music released over the past ten years (around 2005+) has influenced a lot of who I am and it's gotta my favourite. No doubt music from back then was awesome as heck and is still praised to this day, I just find myself able to relate more to the newer stuff put out and it's pretty important to me that I can do so. ^^

Years
  • Oh man. Probably the 90s. Had everything I like about music. Particularly the danceable, psychedelic aspects of it as well as the indie, alternative, and pop culture side of the 90s too.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Most of the music that I like and listen to are released after the 2000s, with those from the 2010+ era being more diverse and energetic.

Still, I like some stuff from the 90s onwards, but I generally don't find anything before that interesting.

Sir Codin

The 1980's was the height of heavy metal's popularity and the domain era of thrash metal, NWOBHM, and early death metal. When it's popularity declined in the 1990's, underground movements introduced new stuff like black metal, progressive, groove metal, and refining death metal/power metal.

Terumi-kantoku

Cat Lover Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    80´s and 90´s. Pop, rock and lots of romantic songs. Them´re so nostalgic and dear to me. Queen was super popular, Michael Jackson was loved, Madonna made lots of hits... Plus boy bands~ I was a Hanson fangirl, lol. Ah, good times.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    i'm really digging the 70s prog "post-hippy" sound

and i mainly blame jojo's bizarre adventure for this

Guest123_x1

My favorite music era is the late 50s-early 60s (pre-British Invasion) rock and roll/pop, doo-wop, and 'rockabilly'. A lot of these songs from then are a throwback to simpler times. Most oldies stations that are still running such a format won't even play anything pre-British Invasion anymore, due to the target demographic supposedly "not being profitable" (I will never understand why advertisers think us youngin's are all rich and able to buy lots of their products).

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • US
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I love 2000s pop, the R&B influenced bangers were all over the radio and saw many artists who wouldn't otherwise explore music out of their comfort zone adapted, for better or worse, to radio standards at the time. Destiny's Child-influenced rap-singing was impossible to escape, sales were still pretty good, and so many iconic moments came, from Britney Spears at the VMAs, to Crazy in Love establishing Beyoncé as a juggernaut in popular music, to Lady Gaga shaking up the entire industry at the end of the decade.

I also love the mid-90s straight R&B such as Mariah Carey, DC, Toni Braxton, Boyz II Men, and I feel like dance-pop peaked in terms of sheer quality from 97-03, because so many forward thinking, experimental records came out in that time, most of which are totally unappreciated now, like Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess, Madonna's famous Ray of Light, and her, in my opinion, magnum opus, American Life.

Surprisingly, even though these are my two favorite eras, only one of my top 3 favorite albums was released in either of these periods, Mariah Carey's Butterfly.

Lady Grimdour

Gifmistress
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    '70s, '80s metal and punk. Sabbath, Dead Kennedys, Motorhead, Adolescents, that sort of thing.

It was a time of awakening from the homogenised '50s and it was amazing, musically. I get the feeling we're getting another one soon around hip-hop.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • 70's Metal (Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin) when metal first started
    80's Thrash Metal - especially with the 4 horsemen (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica)
    90's Death Metal - Cannibal Copse
    around 06 to today the Viking Metal and Folk Metal

are the best era's for me

Back