• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite type of Controller?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years

Through the years, we played on different consoles, that come with unique different controllers. Some were easy to use, and some looked silly, but still appealing to control. Which controller do you remember using that you liked using the most, and why?

TY

I always used Sony's controller for the PS1, PS2 and PS3 and its hands down my favorite, tho the PS3 with its R2 and L2 buttons can be quite annoying since you can accidentally push them and at a slight push it activates whatever its linked to in the game (i wasted a lot of skill moves in Borderlands 2 cause of that).

Years
    I really enjoyed using the Nintendo 64 controller because it was different from the rest of the others and I liked the way that the buttons were set out.

Also, I like the Xbox controllers, the new ones, quite a lot because I like to personalize things and you can do that quite easily with this controller and also I just prefer the buttons and where they are, I find them easier to use.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    The Playstation controllers were always my favorite. So much that I bought an adapter so I could use them on my PC way back in the day. xD

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    The Playstation controller.

It's just... perfect.

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    I'd have to say the PlayStation controllers were some of my favourite. It just feels so natural holding them, and the buttons and analog sticks aren't positioned awkwardly like they have on certain other controllers. I've never actually used an N64 controller before, but it just doesn't look like it's easy to use at all. Having the analog stick in the middle along with buttons on both sides of the controller just seems like it requires a lot of shifting around, but I'm sure it was great for its time :p I also really like the Wii controller, because it's just so simple to use, since it's mostly just motion-oriented controls, with an occasional pushing of buttons. And for certain Virtual Console games it can just be used like an NES controller, which I reckon works just as well :)

Years
    I don't know how one can favor the Playstation controllers. I really don't like them, everything about them isn't right. Could be because I've used many an Xbox controller in my day.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    I don't know how one can favor the Playstation controllers. I really don't like them, everything about them isn't right. Could be because I've used many an Xbox controller in my day.
    I think it's just a matter of what you're used to. I've never used an Xbox controller before, so I can't really speak from a PS gamer's point of view on that, but it doesn't look like a kind of controller I'd really like to use, but again, I can't say since I've never used one :p But growing accustomed to using a different kinda controller is bound to be hard, if the layout is drastically different, so that's where the biggest issue lies.

Years
    I think it's just a matter of what you're used to. I've never used an Xbox controller before, so I can't really speak from a PS gamer's point of view on that, but it doesn't look like a kind of controller I'd really like to use, but again, I can't say since I've never used one :p But growing accustomed to using a different kinda controller is bound to be hard, if the layout is drastically different, so that's where the biggest issue lies.

Yeah I totally agree with you, there was a lot of bias I put in that comment anyway. I am an Xbox person however I am getting both PS4 and XB1 so having to alternate controllers between the 2 won't be the best thing. I mean, I've played Xbox for a long time, got used to the controller and have grown to like it. But whenever I pick up a PS controller, I'm just like "no". I have used them a few times but, as you said, I'll have to get used to it before making a final judgement.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I reckon my favourites were probably the GameCube controller and the Xbox 360 ones. It probably has a lot to do with the positioning of the analogue. As a kid I was a big Playstation gamer, but when the most recent gen arrived I opted to ditch it for the 360, to later replace that with a PC. In saying that, I still use my 360 controller on the PC more so than the actual keyboard and mouse. There's cases where I've really enjoyed the experience I found with other controllers, I reckon the most evident one would be using the Wii Controller and Nunchuck with games like Zelda: Twilight Princess, Zelda: Skyward Sword (although I did find that one to come out quite finicky at times), and of course everyone loves Mario Kart.

Like you Pave, I always feel awkward picking up the PlayStation controller again, my thumbs go exactly where they shouldn't be, as if I'm still using a 360 controller.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    To be honest, nowadays, I've always had a soft spot for the N64 controller, mainly due to nostalgic reasons. I mean, personally, the N64 was always one of my personal favourite console, in which a lot of the great games on it were played with my trusty n64 pikachu edition controller of course.

I've played video games for Xbox and Playstation as well, and so, I can safely conclude that I enjoy playing with the Playstation controller more so than the controllers from Microsoft, only because that I felt more in tuned with playing with only controllers than Microsoft's controllers. It's just a personal preference. ^^;

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The Dualshock 2 is all I've ever really used, beside keyboard & mouse which doesn't count.
    But I always liked the look of the SNES controller. It doesn't have a stupid 'ergonomic' design; one holds it how they want, and that's great. It's a lot like the PSP, which I'm very used to. I'd want something like it if I ever got a controller for my PC.

Last edited:

Aeon.

Carrion
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 22, 2016
    N64 Controller for me is perfect for games that don't need fifty billion buttons. GameCube controller is nice for some games as well as the 360 controller. I really like the Classic Controller Pro, but the lack of analog triggers kinda of keeps me away from using it as a PC gamepad.

I cannot stand at least the Dualshock 3 though. I just have so many gripes about it. But I guess it should be blamed on the fact that I didn't pick up a Sony controller for the course of 4-5 years.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I have never liked the Xbox controllers. They always felt fragile, and they had awful d-pads and trigger keys. Plus, it's too large for a controller of it's kind.

I am very partial to the Dualshock 2 and Classic Controller. I find the Dualshock 2 the perfect fit for my hands - everything just feels so right about using it. The classic controller is also a very likeable controller as well, and I found the different grip design surprisingly hand-friendly.

I even have a cheap GAME own-brand PC controller which is just a very slightly chunkier DS2 controller, which I try and use with all of the PC games I play.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

AWW YEAH

Most comfortable controller ever! Disagree? Play the thing!

Honorable mention to Xbox 360 pad, Gamecube controller and Wii U game pad.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My favourite is probably the PS3 controller because it's so light, easily chargeable, and I really like the shape. The buttons are easy to press down (which is an issue I have with the 360) and I really appreciate its d-pad.

My second favourite is likely the Gamecube controller.
    AWW YEAH

Most comfortable controller ever! Disagree? Play the thing!

Honorable mention to Xbox 360 pad, Gamecube controller and Wii U game pad.
    The Wii Remote is absolutely the worst controller I've ever used. (Admittedly I've only had consoles from N64 onwards.) If you have small hands, you can't really press half the buttons on it when you're holding it upright and so, so many games try to use all the buttons (because it's so lacking in them) when using remote+nunchuck controls. Uggh.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I actually find the DualShock to not be that comfortable. The shape of it and some of the button placement is awkward. Also not a big fan of the analog sticks.

The 360 controller fits in my hand the best and is the most comfortable to me. The only complaint I have about it is the d-pad. The Gamecube controller is a close second comfort-wise, but the d-pad, C-stick, and triggers leave a lot to be desired.

Years
    My preference has always leaned towards the Playstation controllers, specifically once the DualShock was introduced (going back to holding one of the original controllers just feels a little odd). I've always preferred the way the analog sticks are laid out compared to the asymmetrical layout of the Xbox analogs, even if I prefer the shape of the Xbox controller. If the Xbox controllers adopted the layout of the Playstation ones, though, they'd easily top my list for favorite controller., as I find they fit in my hands slightly better.

Back