• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite books?

Years
    Which books do you consider as your favorite ones? Post, and if you wish, you can add a brief summary, if you want people to know why that book is SO fantastic.

Just a little thing: Don't post spoilers. And that means you should not post endings, complete storylines or any other relevant stuff about the books you like. It's annoying that people who just want to read opinions find the shocking ending of that book they always wanted to read, 8(

Anyways, I have to say that my favourite books are mostly written by Jules Verne.

There's a book I just finished too, called Animal Farm, by George Orwell. It's a parody of totallitary governments that took place when the World War II was raging. It transforms social individuals into ordinary farm animals, such as pigs, horses, sheep, and hens. It's filled with humor at the same time, too. I always tought that such a thing wasn't possible~ 8D

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I like Warriors (hints the avatar), and have read all the books. But thats the only series I'm really into and wait at the stores for the next book.

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
    There's a book I just finished too, called Animal Farm, by George Orwell. It's a parody of totallitary governments that took place when the World War II was raging. It transforms social individuals into ordinary farm animals, such as pigs, horses, sheep, and hens. It's filled with humor at the same time, too. I always tought that such a thing wasn't possible~ 8D

Awesome book =) We did it in English just before starting our GCSE's and I got great grades on its social background stuff.

My fave book has to be Loamhedge: A Tale of Redwall by Brian Jacques. A fantasy war based theme with animals instead of people. Sounds weird but I like the concept =) Its awesome

Years
    I like a lot of books... but I'd say L'Etranger by Albert Camus, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan are my favorites.

Sorano

幸福☆
    Years
    CopyCat said:
    I like Warriors (hints the avatar), and have read all the books. But thats the only series I'm really into and wait at the stores for the next book.

I have every single one of those books hardcover, including The New Prophecy ones. :33 They are really good~! *has read them all except The New Prophecy ones* X3;; I love kitties~! <33

Arty // I knew you would say Animal Farm. 8D Since you talked about it so much and seemed to enjoy it, I think I shall read it, too. :3

I'm currently reading a book called Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita. :33 It is pretty good, and has an interesting plot. The title pretty much tells what its about. XD; *ish too lazy&tired~ish to post a summary*
    Anyways, I recommend it for girls, but I'm pretty positive that guys wouldn't be too interested in reading it. :33

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I like Otherland by Tad Williams. It's about some people that goes to a virtual reality world where you can play online games and other things you can do on the internet. Someone i trapped in that world, not knowing it is a virtual reality. What happens to that person in the ending is cool, he is my favorite character in Otherland. Anyway, these people must gather and travel through the VR world to find a reason why some people fall into coma after going into the VR. The book is in 4 volumes (pocket).
    I also like the Yu-gi-oh manga. I have something called ani-manga that does not belong to the rest of the volumes (it's a manga made from an anime), but that's just a bad copy; the names are all different and the story seems strange compared to the originals, but I read it before I read Yu-gi-oh Duelist and I think its supposed to be read after Duelist.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I like a lot of books. They are 1984 by Geogre Orwell, The Odyssey by Homer, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, Forever by Judy Blume, As Long We Are Together by Judy Blume, and Here's To You, Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume. These books were soo good. They had depth in each chapter...and I couldn't put them down. XD

There are more books I read, but to me...those are the cream of the crop. The best!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I consider a book a favorite if I can read it more than twice with interest. There has been only four books that have done that for me in my lifetime.

The first two books are in a series of four books. It is the Enderverse Series by Orson Scott Card. The two books from that series that I just love are Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide. Read both a few times over, and can never put them down. It's also the only series where I must have two or three copies of the books, due to wear and tear.

Dragonquest is the second book in the series The DragonRiders of Pern by Anne McCaffery. I don't know why I like this one more than the rest of the series. I just do.

The last book is Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Read it seven times when I was younger. I'm hoping to read it again soon. I need a good horror tale.

Ria

Minx Extraordinaire
    Years
    GOOD OMENS!!! GOOOOD OMENS! Hehe ^.^

Gosh, I must have read that book, like, two years ago and, ever since, I go back to it every two months or so and read it again ^o^ It's just SO awesome, Aziraphale and Crowley ROCK! ^o^

Erhm...well, I probably ought to say WHY I like it so much ^.^' Well-uh...hard to say. If I wanted to list everything I like about it, I'd probably copy the whole thing over here ^.^'

It's brilliant, it's funny, it's a combined effort of Neil Geiman and Terry Pratchett, it has angels and demons and odd observations that make you laugh to tears and back, it's...it's...INEFFABLE! :D

As for other books, well...there's a bunch of 'em I like.

Uuuum...the Foundation serial, LotR triology + Hobbit, Chronicles of Amber, anything by Pratchett, oh, OH - David Copperfield and, while I'm at it, anything by Dickens ^o^ Uuum...the Alchemist, stuff by Tracey Chevallie (hope I got the spelling right ^.^' )...I'll probably think of more later ^o^'

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I loved that book. I actually memorized the first part of the song they made up.
    My favorite books -
    almost anything from the Baby-Sitters Club
    Holes
    Catcher in the Rye (I could relate to him so much)
    and a few other titles that my morning head cannot remember at the moment.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    T_T; I keep hearing such good things about Animal Farm, yet I haven't read it thus far for some reason. I've gotta get myself to a library sometime. D:

Anyway, my favourite books are by Michael Crichton. He's easily my favourite author, my preferred books of his being Sphere, Jurassic Park and Timeline. (I'm finally rereading Timeline right now, since I lost it at school a few years and managed to snag it the other week at a used book store...I'd nearly forgotten how good it is. ^_^;)

Hakudoushi-kun

Guardian of the Northern Souls
    Years
    I haven't read too many books recently. I do like Harry Potter books, and A Series of Unfortunate Events was good too. I've also heard a lot about Animal Farm. D<< Now I shall have to read it too!

BTW Demyx, what's Timeline about? *catches interest* O.O

mrplanters

The new meaning of legend
    Years
    well i like the Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Garfield, Farside harry potter series rurouni kenshin manga, and pokemon manga

Oz Ranger

Beginning Ranger
    Years
    Well, I usually like a range of Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Adventure novels.

Sci-Fi is unfortunatly taken up by very simplistic books like the Star Wars novelisations (I NEED to go out and get some more Sci-Fi novels).

My favourite Fantasy is Eragon and Harry Potter. Both have excellent authors and I commend Christopher Paolini for publishing a fantastic book at such a young age. With Harry Potter, there might be some overused story threads, but...*clings to Harry Potter*

I also don't mind reading biographies. Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin is most definetly my favourite from that genre.

Espeon14

Master Of Eevee Family
    Years
    I generally read the harry potter books. i am on the sixth one. i also like books by rauld dahl. i read the baby-sitters club books sometimes too.

Ai

; ♥ ~
    Years
    I try to read any book... >.> My favourite books are fiction animal stories.. Watership Down (the best ever), Firebringer, The Sight, Redwall, Tales From Dimwood Forest,The Welkin Weasals, Guardian's of Ga'hoole.. and that's almost it..

I also like some classics, bah.. I like so many I can't name them all..

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2006
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

Truly amazing, in-depth, gritty, realistic fantasy novels. Engrossing characters, edge-of-your seat action, and intrigue.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

If you haven't read it, go get it. I'm serious. Go now.

Contact by Carl Sagan

I love the entire premise of this book both as a lover of good science fiction, and a skeptical agnostic.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    A Song of Ice and Fire, I like it too. Have read four volumes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Cell | By Stephen King - This was actually a very interesting book, basically a survival-horror book about most of the human race being "zapped" by their cellphones and it erases all the information and natural insticts, basically a brain restart. My description doesn't do it justice, at all.

Needful Things | By Stephen King - Probably my FAVORITE book. Seriously, go read it now. About a shop keeper coming to town and uses people's deepest wordly desires to twist them to his own ends. Thought provoking.

Back