• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favourite Starter Pokemon!

Which is your favourite starter Pokemon from both sets of games (DPPt and HGSS)?

• Turtwig line

Votes: 39 29.1%
  • Piplup line

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Chimchar line

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Chikorita line

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Totodile line

Votes: 52 38.8%
  • Cyndaquil line

Votes: 61 45.5%

• Total voters

NatureKeeper

Water is my type, so I chose Piplup. But Typhlosion was so Oh-my-god cool (I never played GSC, to be honest.) that I chose him. I don't want an island turtle, a fighting monkey, a giant crocodile or some strict case of badly mutated flowers.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always use water, but in Pearl I actually used Turtwig because I was tired of water and I thought he was cute, and I'm not a fan of Empoleon's design. But I love Piplup ;o;

I also thought Cyndaquil was the cutest, but I used Totodile because water Pokemon <3

MeanLook

Now you can't get away
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2011
    I have a deep love for Fire types(Charmander,Cyndaquilp,Torchic,Chimchar,Pokabu).But from GenIII to IV I starte liking Grass starters adn on GEn IV I lurv Oshawott

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
  • I started with Piplup and my mom with Turtwig, but somewhen I started raising a Turtwig and the moment it got Earthquake it started crushing things left and right.
    As for HGSS, Chikorita <3 I wanted one IRL when I was little xD It's just... <3.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
  • I always use Cyndaquil for GSCHGSS(unless I'm on challenge prohibiting it)
    And Torterra for DPPt(same exception)

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
  • Johto starters got old quick for me, so I ditched mine in my current SS run..

As for Sinnoh it's Chimchar's line. In Diamond I started with Piplup, but I ditched him. In Platinum I started with Chimchar, and my Infernape is still with me. :D

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Favorite starter in gen IV was Turtwig, I love the design and also Chimchar.

My other favorites are Bulbasaur and Torchic

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Cyndaquil without a doubt, the rest are pretty good though (Especially the Sinnoh starters.) but Cyndy's a childhood friend to me.

Years
  • The Totodile line for HG/SS... that has always been a tradition for me since I got my original Gen II games, and the factor its one of my favs.. :3

As for D/P/Pt, I would have to say the Piplup line.. I have always had a bias towards water starters until I got into Pokemon big time 2 years ago..

Beegu

Is Waldo
    Years
  • Hm... In both SS and DPPt I STARTED with all the starters. In SS I definately will go with Chikorita trailed closely by Totodile and I ditched my Cyndaquil (although none really appeared amazing). Why? I like going against the flow and Chikorita is (to my knowledge) the least picked; in fact, the only time I chose the most popular was in White. In Pearl (yes pearl) It's a tie between Chimchar and Turtwig; my Infernape is plain amazing and my Torterra is an epic tank. If I had to chose I'd say Turtwig because my Pt Rapidash destroys hands down. I tried Piplup but eh, she wasn't the same amazingness (yes she). In summary:

DPPt: Turtwig
    HGSS: Chikorita

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I picked Totodile in HeartGold, because it's always been my favourite of the second generation starters. Chikorita and Cyndaquil are both cute, but I'm not overly keen on their evolutions.

I went for Piplup in DPPt. I quite like the Turtwig line (Chimchar was never an option; I hate monkeys with a passion) but having a Piplup named "Pingu" was too great a temptation to pass up. I ended up getting a Turtwig off the GTS anyway, so I didn't miss out on anything. xD

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I love chickorita because it evolves into meganium which is an awesome, cool fantastic pokemon. :)

Back