• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Firered/Leafgreen has killed Red/Blue and Heartgold/Soulsilver killed Gold/Silver

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    You can't 'kill' a game. :\

If you still have good memories of playing the originals than how in the hell are they dead?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    You are way too accurate. I found the remakes superior(yeah, lol @ nostalgia) in almost every way, even with Firered being nowhere near the remake it could've been.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Lots of Fire Red/Leaf Green hate in this topic. What was wrong with them? They were exactly the same as the originals, but with better sprites, more colours, and better-quality music. All that, and a whole new series of islands to explore.

I enjoyed playing through them a lot more than I did the originals. Maybe it's because I started with Ruby and Sapphire and worked backwards, so the older games seemed kind of primitive when I played them.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Jolene said:
    Lots of Fire Red/Leaf Green hate in this topic. What was wrong with them? They were exactly the same as the originals, but with better sprites, more colours, and better-quality music. All that, and a whole new series of islands to explore.

Nostalgia is something some people can never get over. That's why some people says G/S/C was better than HG/SS too.

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
    Years
    Well i remember when i first bought my pokémon blue, with a GameBoy. It was magical. Then, when silver was released, i received it as a christmas present. It was the best feeling ever. Then i started using ROMS instead of actual cartridges and played Crystal.

The thing is...if you were on the late 90's - early 2000's generation of Pokémon gamers, even if you don't like the graphics, or feel the remakes are better, the old versions will always have a special place for you. At least for me is like that.

If you were on the R/S/E, LG/FR generation, well, it's the same.

In my opinion nothing can beat the classics, not even the best graphics. They're linked to your childhood memories, and those are something hard to replace with prettier looking sprites and better musical quality.

GoldenPokeBall

Not an Ultra Ball
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I like the originals better than the re-makes. Although I love the new games features and such, even the new pokemon are awesome. But the originals were simpler, less complicated and more fun to play. There wasn't this over complicated "this move is psychic but it's still a physical move so it relies on attack instead of special attack." and was more like: "This move is psychic therefore it's special and uses your special attack". Or maybe I just took it personally when my Alakazam lost alot of his strength when they made Thunderpunch, Icepunch and Firepunch physical moves. :D

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    While the originals are better I feel the re-makes sort of take you back. They present your childhood memories in the modern fashion, which is cool.
    I usually like a game better when it's old then when it's brand spanking new.

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
    It's a matter of opinion.

I haven't got HG/SS yet, but FR/LG were pretty fun... And for me they didn't "kill" the originals at all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016

I enjoyed playing through them a lot more than I did the originals. Maybe it's because I started with Ruby and Sapphire and worked backwards, so the older games seemed kind of primitive when I played them.
    They weren't the exact same as the originals, if they were then FRLG would still have good pokemon in Cerulean Cave, Missingno., M, and other glitches would be in, Brock would still be hard if you picked Charmander instead of a pushover, the overworld sprite of Red would be much better, etc. Basically FRLG could of been much better, they even could of had more Johto pokemon for after you beat the game. Especially since there was only like 20 on the Sevii Islands, and RSE had none. Or they even could of made the Sevii Islands The Orange Islands, etc....

/Nostalgia

To the HGSS comment, to me it sems like HGSS encounter ratio is so much higher than the originals. Because of this, I'm progressing like a slug compared to how I usually do in GSC.

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    Oh God, the FR/LG were the worst games ever (in my opinion) and would never beat the originals, you would have to be insane or not have played the originals to think they were good.

ilikeluigi

Team Rocket's only hope
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    My friend, the classic Pokemon games will NEVER DIE! Ever. (P.S. I thought the remakes were great.)

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I find that FR/LG are fairly decent games but they, due to some changes made to the series in the next two gens, are significantly easier and thus in many respects less enjoyable.

Zakki-C-Mo

strategic trainer
    Years
    pokemon were made to battle, and train with for battle, not put frills on and waste time and p for stupid ribbons, i love the oldschool, granted i love playing through hg, ss, lg, and fr, but old school focused on what pokemon was all about.
    -admittedly on sapphire, ruby, and emerald i occasionally did contests after i beat the elite 4, but the later gens really take it too far-

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    I think people here are letting nostalgia overtake them. R/B were good games, no doubt, but even when I played them as a kid I thought they were flawed in a lot of ways.

MASTERBOSSgodora

The Songbird of My Generation
    Years
    I actually prefer FR/LG mostly because LG makes me think of Luigi. And he dominates. But also because although the best generation for pokemon invention was Gen. 1, almost all of my favorites were from later generations - Umbreon, Tyranitar, Aggron, and Breloom. However, I do miss the old glitches...and my level 157 snorlax and my level 148 Muk.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2010
    I agree with a lot of other posters here in that the new games will never kill the classics.

I mean from a technical standpoint, the HG and SS are better in just about everything. For some reason, however, the old school 2nd gen just seems so much better.

For me, the old school shoddy graphics are more appealing than the newer graphics. I was watching my sister play her new SS and the new graphics just didn't feel right for me. I'll probably get HG eventually but it'll never be the same as good ol 2nd gen gold - for me at least. It's too complicated (not that I'm simple minded or anything), but I just liked it more when it was more basic and not as gimmicky or with special abilities etc. :)

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    I think people here are letting nostalgia overtake them. R/B were good games, no doubt, but even when I played them as a kid I thought they were flawed in a lot of ways.

they were extremely frustrating for me. playing red, blue, and yellow was annoying on many levels, team rockets stupid warp pads, certain points in the game when you don't know where to go next, annoying dungeons/mansions. I had to borrow a friends guide book to make it a few times. It could have been the fact that i was young and wasn't as smart but the games were targeted at kids.

pokemon types and movesets were also annoying and weighted more toward certain types. dragon was a mystery, why were there only 3, why where gust/comet punch/etc normal attacks. The list goes on now that there have been updates but these new versions are a way to play the games of the good ol days in a more streamlined way

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    Firered and Leafgreen were crap, but it made me remember R/B again. :)
    Same with HG/SS. >.<

I think they shouldve done a Yellow remake. That would be just awesome!
    they kinda of did, HG&SS pokemons follow you and have emotions
    bouth are great i love em all

Back