• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Shiny Failure in old gens...

BOMBERMANBART

Confortare esto vir!
Years
  • Hello guys, in new at this Community and my English isnt one of the bests so sometimes I can misspell in my blogs/comments, but Im improving my English!

So, I made this blog to ask something to you guys: What was your first shiny failure?

My first shiny in an original Pokémon Game was an uncatchable Bastiodon in Battle Arcade in Pokémon SoulSilver.

Let's suffer together!(?) 😢

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I think I found a shiny Zubat in Mt. Moon once, but I didn't have any Pokéballs. Feels bad :'c

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Oof, Shiny Zubat in a wild Double Battle with a Stat Trainer in Wayard Cave, her Kadabra used Psychic on it and....welp, bye bye, shiny Zubat. :') This was my first shiny fail, and it still upsets me to this day, 11 years later! This shiny fail could have been avoided if I had attacked Mira's Kadabra by fainting it....

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Oof, Shiny Zubat in a wild Double Battle with a Stat Trainer in Wayard Cave, her Kadabra used Psychic on it and....welp, bye bye, shiny Zubat. :') This was my first shiny fail, and it still upsets me to this day, 11 years later! This shiny fail could have been avoided if I had attacked Mira's Kadabra by fainting it....

Now that you mention Wayward Cave, I've found a shiny Geodude there that I didn't manage to get. It was not even Mira the responsible, it just used self-destruct.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • My first shiny fail was in Emerald. I was training on Route 121, murdering ghosts left and right (because logic). A shiny Shuppet appeared and I just battled it like normal. It wasn't until after knocking it out and looking at the exp. gained that I realized "Wait, Shuppet are suppose to be purple...". I've always been super cautious around shinies ever since.

My latest shiny encounter, while technically not a fail, was a Graveler in Victory Road in FireRed. I was doing a grass mono-type challenge, so no using shiny Graveler for me... (Side note: I did catch it, just left it to rot in the PC.)

Years
  • I think I was hunting for a shiny torchic back in ruby? I accidentally pressed the soft reset button combination when the shiny torchic appeared. im still upset :(

User Anon 1848

I fainted a shiny Whismur in one of the 3rd gen games before I found out about the shiny mechanic. I thought the Red Gyarados from gen 2 was the only possible shiny encounter so I chalked it up to a visual glitch or my eyes not working. No big loss tbh.

Didn't know that the Arcade Pokemon from HG/SS could be shiny either. Thanks for the tidbit OP.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    idk if it was my first, but the one that always sticks out in my mind is the one time in HGSS I was doing the bug catching contest, and a shiny Beedrill showed up. It KO'd my Pokemon before i could catch it =(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2021
    A shiny Golbat in Victory Road on Leaf Green. I ran out of Balls. It was my very first game and I didn't understand anything so I thought if I went back to the same spot I could find another one

Years
  • i've never had a shiny fail, but my friend found a shiny rattata in her first or second encounter in the game, before you get any pokeballs :(

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I found a Shiny Groudon in Emerald. I wasn't even trying to find one, which was probably why i was extremely unprepared. I accidentally knocked them out. I was pretty young at the time and I didn't really think too much of it, but looking back I realised not only did I fail a Shiny, but I failed a Shiny Legendary. :(

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Didn't know that the Arcade Pokemon from HG/SS could be shiny either. Thanks for the tidbit OP.

Pokemon in all the Battle Facilities in both E/P/HG/SS have a chance to be shiny, actually.

It's awful seeing a Shiny Pokemon with an NPC trainer, tbh, it hurts so bad.

CocoaAlpaca

south park elementary's gym leader
    Years
  • My first shiny fail was actually a Shiny Chingling in Pokemon Y. My Amaura killed it.
    Amaura went to one of the cutest Pokemon to a Pokemon that gives me bad memories.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2019
    My first shiny was a Pineco in Pokemon Silver, I thought it was just a bug in the game though and ran from it as I didn't know about shinies back then...

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    In Pokemon Ruby, I was in Granite cave for some reason (I had long beaten the e4 by now) and this random yellow Geodude pops up and I remember thinking "Hm, that's weird, but I already have a Geodude" and I didn't even bother catching it.
    Now that I understand how rare shiny Pokemon are, I'm just pissed at little me.

Back