• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First video game

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
Years
  • What started it all for you? What was the first video game you played, be it handheld, console, PC, etc., that got you hooked on gaming? Was there any particular reason you chose to play this game? Was it fun and would you still recommend it to people?

An example response (also my answer):

Alice in Wonderland for GameBoy Color

I absolutely loved this game. I was five at the time that my parents bought my 9 and 7 year old sisters and I a GameBoy Color, and this was what they gave us. It was so much, although I remember getting stuck on the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum level in the game. After this I absolutely loved playing GameBoy games. The next year, for Hanukkah (which is how we got the other GameBoy), my parents bought me my own GameBoy advance. From there w got an N64, GameCube, PS2, Wii, PS3, and every time a new Nintendo handheld came out, I upgraded to it. (SP, DS, DS lite, DSi, 3DS. Not GBMicro or DSiXL). Anyways, I would definitely still recommend this game to people, and I still sometimes play it. It can be played here, but I am unsure of how safe this site is, so please do not yell at me if it is unsafe.

I am looking forward to seeing your responses.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to remember what their first video game was, but oh well, at least I remember it xD

It was Pokémon Blue, back when I was just a little kid. It wasn't entirely my own, as it was at first only my brother's, though when I grew to know how consoles worked, it became shared between us. I remember how awful I was at the game at the time, since I had no idea how to play games at the time, and since I couldn't read, and obviously not in English either, so it took me quite a while before I actually began playing the game. And even then, I had no idea how strong each Pokémon were, so I ended up spending all my Pokéballs on Bug Pokémon in the Viridian Forest, and I had no idea you could buy Pokéballs, so yeah. I was stuck all the time. It wasn't untill my brother taught me how the game worked and stuff I ever got around to beating trainers, so it took a while for me to complete the game xD

I'd most certainly still recommend it for anyone who's just slightly interested in Pokémon, as I feel like all Pokémon games can be played with equally fun gaming experience, no matter the graphics or amount of Pokémon :D

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    This one's possibly cemented in my memory for time and time to come.
    Dangerous Dave, or Dave as the majority might know it. /PC

At school, during our junior classes, we were allowed to play games during the lesson, explore the computers, and basically, just familiarise ourselves with the peripherals etc. The whole class would grow anxious and would turn frantic when someone exclaimed they had reached the last level. The reason it kicked *ss was because it was so challenging, yet so simple.

Spoiler:

I'd dare anyone to play it.

Cid

Years
  • I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to remember what their first video game was, but oh well, at least I remember it xD
    Count me in with those people. XD

I have a very vague memory of my first video game. I think the most fond memories I've had for playing video games would be the ones I played in the NES, but around the same time I also came across my sister playing her Pokémon Yellow so I don't know which of these would count.

I'll first attempt naming some evoking the earliest memories, and with that it's probably one of those interactive, educational PC games: JumpStart 1st Grade developed by Knowledge Adventure. I was probably just shy of five years old around that time, wasn't even in first grade, but I liked the animations and found it fun clicking around. Maybe the fondest memory would be the cheesy songs (including that intro), Frankie the anthropomorphic dog, and making the accidental Glob Monster (gasp!) while cooking. I think we also had the 4th Grade and 5th Grade versions but my older siblings played those so I don't remember them at all.

However I'm pretty sure those weren't responsible for my following addiction to video games in general. I'll place that blame on Pokémon Yellow. I don't really remember the exact situation that I got my hands into that game but I think my sister was showing me how to play one time, and I just found it fun to play. I loved the animations, walking around with a Pikachu behind you, and I suppose the music also had an impact on me because hearing those tunes again evoke a lot of good memories. Or maybe my first game was actually Koei's Gemfire for Sega Genesis, a rather obscure game I got to play back then. I don't know. D:

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    My first video game was Mario Party 7 for the Gamecube. It wasn't until I played Zelda: The Wind Waker that I became hooked on RPG's, though.

Years

I remember mine, but I am a geek when it comes to video games so... XD

It was Prince of Persia on the Saga Megadrive. I really loved the game, but it was really hard from what I remember; the jumping over gaps was blooming frustrating at time. But I would love to dig it out again and play it when I have some spare time.​

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me it was The Legend Of Zelda - Oracle Of Ages when I was around 6 years old at the time. Game was frustrating as hell for me as I had no idea on what to do back then due to being a noob and all unfortunately, memory's not as good as it used to be though sadly so it was most likely either one of the Zelda or Pokemon games that got me started on the gaming world.

Years
  • Once upon a time when arcade machines were popular, I took my quarters to Chuck E Cheese a few blocks away to play The Simpsons and/or Ninja Turtles.

This is the Simpsons game where Maggie has that diamond to suck on and you (with possible three others from: Skateboard Bart, Skiprope Lisa, Vacuum Marge, Melee Homer) were tasked with chasing after Mr. Burns and Smithers to get Maggie back.

This is the TMNT arcade game 4-player beat-em-up based on th'90's cartoon where the first level is an apartment fire, with Shredder taking April and culminating in a final fight at the Technodrome. Awesome and sometimes lengthy boss fights, some of which against characters from only the show, comics, or action figure only.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I remember playing Tony Hawk with my dad when I was really young. That was probably my first video game. But as for my first owned video game, I got a GBA and Pokemon Sapphire for Christmas one year.

Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    To an extent, I can only remember 2 games for the NES back in 2000 something and that was Circus Charlie and Ice Climber. Those 2 were one of the first games I've played and probably one of my favourites to play back then.

Then I went on to a handheld console which was Gameboy Colour and I think I got like 100+ in 1 game and one of them was Pokemon Silver and I remember some other ones like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, 3 Harvest Moon games and Battle City (my favourite gameboy game other than Pokemon :P

From then on I moved to Playstation - Gameboy Advance - Nintendo DS - Xbox 360 and now PC!

If you like to play retro stuff then I'd definitely recommend most of the games that I've listed because there are the memorable ones that made me happy as a kid to this day!

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Now I know it was either Castlevania or Super Mario Bros... I just can't remember which. I played both on the same afternoon, so it's really hard to tell. I'm leaning towards it being SMB because I think I remember my uncle telling me to try it first... but I can't be certain.

An aunt and uncle of mine brought me and my brother their old Nintendo and a buuuuunch of games, because their kids didn't play it anymore. Little did they know they kickstarted an addiction. :D

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
    Years
  • Hmmmm my first Video Games...It was Super Mario Bros and then Pokemon Yellow I was addicted to those games especially Pokemon Yellow that started me out to like Pokemon and eventually play every Pokemon Game... :)

Got one GameboyColor when I was 5\6? (can't remember) Then after a year they gave me a GameboyAdvanceSP and eventually played Pokemon FR\LG\R\S\E and then 3 years later my first POKEMON NDS game! Pokemon Platinum! and now played all Pokemon Games except for Pokemon BW2 (wating for english release... :)) Hehe... :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Say hello to Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! A Bomberman-game with Wario shoehorned into into it for some strange reason, it definitely wasn't great and I don't think that I got past the first level. Having said that, it came out when I was 5-years-old for the Game Boy. Not the Game Boy Colour! Not the Game Boy Pocket! The Game Boy! It's so old, and while I have no fond memories of playing it - just frustration - I can definitely remember it being the first video game I ever owned. So, it still has some weird special place in my heart, for that reason.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Say hello to Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! A Bomberman-game with Wario shoehorned into into it for some strange reason, it definitely wasn't great and I don't think that I got past the first level. Having said that, it came out when I was 5-years-old for the Game Boy. Not the Game Boy Colour! Not the Game Boy Pocket! The Game Boy! It's so old, and while I have no fond memories of playing it - just frustration - I can definitely remember it being the first video game I ever owned. So, it still has some weird special place in my heart, for that reason.
    I swear I was just playing that last night!

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • ...I think it was Zelda: Link to the Past. I remember my dad had an old snes that I played and there was a zelda game on it...but I don't remember which one.

Years
  • My very first game would have been Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on Sega. I can't imagine how many countless hours I played this game growing up, but the fact that I have as much fun playing it today as I did 16 years ago sure shows how timeless a classic it really is.

I don't even think I truly beat the game until I was about 12 or 13, but I remember I was so excited that I called my cousin to tell him and brag about it. In fact, I think I might just have to go play it right now!

Back