• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flaws in the meta-game

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Pretty witty response
    #Moody

If I'm not mistaken, insisting that my points weren't still valid even though they were containing a fallacy would in itself be a fallacy, so if you'd like to avoid them - do so. And if I'm also not mistaken, saying that the evasion countering moves couldn't be fit onto movesets because people currently don't find ways to do so, merely because swagon bans evasion is also a fallacy. Bandwagon'in'swagon fallacy aside, I'm aware swagger was banned by swagon because enough people were upset about it in sixth gen to vote that it was suddenly game breaking and shouldn't be part of the game going forward, but you've ignored the question as to why if luck is considered game breaking - why confuse ray isn't banned.

95 accuracy moves are vexatious >: C I lost a multi yesterday because Air Slash missed a mega Beedrill.

Also echoing a small amount of uncertainty is necessary for battles. 100% guaranteed everything would only further narrow the already pitiful scope of what sees competitive usage.

Detox

There are many reasons why one could assume Confuse Ray isn't banned. For starters, it doesn't give you a two stage attack boost like Swagger did, which would take chunks out of your Pokémon's health if it was unfortunate enough to hit itself in its confusion. It also has a less than favorable distribution, so no one is going to be abusing it in conjunction with an ability like Prankster. Anyways, this should be fairly common knowledge so I don't feel as if I need to go into detail as to why the Confuse Ray Gengar metagame isn't upon us.

As far as flaws go, I'll have to chime in and say the luck factor as well. I despise having a match in the bag only to be robbed by a critical hit or an untimely miss ~_~

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I don't think hax can be blamed for the declining metagame, risk vs. reward is not a bad concept in a competitive game. If Fire Blast had 95% accuracy it would more or less render Flamethrower irrelevant. It can be unpleasant but hax and luck in general adds a another nifty layer to what is a reasonably complex game.

The main issue I feel is power creep quite simply, insane stats, crazy new moves and Megas are causing some of the older generations to fall behind. Take base 100 speed for example, it used to be a very reasonable stat to have and nowadays it is below average. It really limits diversity.

Also I've never been a fan of Team Preview, on certain levels I feel being able to hide your "pocket Mons" from your opponent was always nice and something which didn't need to be touched. I think Gen VI is a step up from V no doubt but it still has a lot of room to improve.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't think that no one wants absolutely 0 hax, just less of it. Cuz I swear it happens way more than it should.

why if luck is considered game breaking - why confuse ray isn't banned.
    King Syn already explained the Confuse Ray thing (and the rest of that is for Elf), so I'll just touch on the luck thing. It's not so much that luck is game-breaking per se, but that battles should be decided on battle tactics and team-building ability. So luck factor should be minimal. Winning the lottery is something anyone can do and requires no skill, winning a race isn't something everyone can do and requires skill.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    I'd only ever played competitive with team preview since I got into it around early gen 5, but I would like the option to turn it off for the cartridge games. It'd be fun to play around with not knowing what the other person had.

And I get what you're saying Zekrom, I do - and I get why Swagger is banned, and I know how it works. I do. But if the basis for evasion's ban despite means of dealing with it is just 'luck is game breaking' there would seem to be a preeeetty undeniable double standard on what's considered 'broken'. Almost as if rather than applying universal standards at one level to meta play, it were voted on by a group of people with their own specific opinions and tastes for what they wanted in a battle.

And that's my opinion on [some] flaws in the meta and what have you.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    I think the luck factor is one of the things that makes the meta so challenging and diversifies teams. If there wasn't a 15% chance for Fire Blast to miss, would there be any need whatsoever for Flamethrower, and in singles, Heat Wave? The same goes for Gunk Shot and Poison Jab, Blizzard and Ice Beam, Thunder and Thunderbolt... I could go on.

My point is that if you're like me, you miss with Fire Blast about 60% of the time, and that makes moves like Heat Wave more common on the sets that I run. Such might not be the case for someone with better luck than me, so fighting my Infernape will be different than going up against someone else's.

Back