• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Following Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Looking over the trailer, I highly doubt that they're making a grand return into this game. I like following Pokemon as much as the next person, but I feel like it's not going to happen. The Rockruff looks more like an event or just an overworld Pokemon you interact with.

However, Gamefreak 100% knew exactly what they were doing. They're either being evil and teasing us with hint of it... or maybe pointing to the future.

If following Pokemon do end up somehow implemented I will be pleasantly surprised, but I would hope that they added a feature to put your Pokemon away so they don't have to follow you all the time too.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    No. We are not getting the following pokemon feature again. What we saw is just a random Rockruff running around. Also GF should focus on other things in alola. Important things that actually serve a purpose.

Every post I see from you is killjoy and negative. Any time someone posts anything about hopes or wishes you're there going "nope, not happening, stop dreaming, waste of time" etc. Lighten up, man.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Every post I see from you is killjoy and negative. Any time someone posts anything about hopes or wishes you're there going "nope, not happening, stop dreaming, waste of time" etc. Lighten up, man.
    I don't want to argue about this again. Whatever happens, it happened. I am gonna keep my eye out on the official website until then.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Welp, if the last trailer is anything to go by, I think following Pok?mon is officially deconfirmed. That Rockruff probably just follows you in that certain area after interacting with it, like with the Pikachu scene during the direct.

RIP: The dream. D:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I am glad that we are not getting Following Pokemon feature. It was annoying feature that served no purpose to me in HGSS. USUM us better off without it in my opinion. HGSS can keep that feature as far as i am concerned.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I am glad that we are not getting Following Pokemon feature. It was annoying feature that served no purpose to me in HGSS. USUM us better off without it in my opinion. HGSS can keep that feature as far as i am concerned.

Following Pokemon

Listen we get it, you really, really dislike pokemon following...

Anyways, back to the topic, it does seem like that what we believed to be pokemon following is actually turning out to be interacting and animated background over-world pokemon. It does seem like a cool feature to help flesh out the region and give it more life. To be honest, when I first saw the Rockruff preview, I originally thought it was going to be something akin to just over-world pokemon interaction. I actually had to read someone else bring up the possibility of Following Pokemon to think that that was also a possibility.

I will admit, I do think it was a very weird choice for Game Freak to use that incredibly short Rockruff clip to spoil the over world interaction pokemon as if it was some major secret that they had to hide by only showing an incredibly short clip of it. I don't really see it as something that would be a major selling point to their fan base. In hindsight it almost seems like a troll, since it was so easy to mistake that clip for following pokemon, how could they not see how that clip could be misleading?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I still think such a feature wouldn't make sense/look right unless we were going back to grid based movement. It's possible they put those sprites in just to test it, and some probably didn't look right, so they just ditched it, and forgot to remove the graphics.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Following Pokemon

Listen we get it, you really, really dislike pokemon following...

Anyways, back to the topic, it does seem like that what we believed to be pokemon following is actually turning out to be interacting and animated background over-world pokemon. It does seem like a cool feature to help flesh out the region and give it more life. To be honest, when I first saw the Rockruff preview, I originally thought it was going to be something akin to just over-world pokemon interaction. I actually had to read someone else bring up the possibility of Following Pokemon to think that that was also a possibility.

I will admit, I do think it was a very weird choice for Game Freak to use that incredibly short Rockruff clip to spoil the over world interaction pokemon as if it was some major secret that they had to hide by only showing an incredibly short clip of it. I don't really see it as something that would be a major selling point to their fan base. In hindsight it almost seems like a troll, since it was so easy to mistake that clip for following pokemon, how could they not see how that clip could be misleading?

I like most features in pokemon but following pokemon is not one of them. Disliking one feature does not mean disliking whole franchise.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I like most features in pokemon but following pokemon is not one of them. Disliking one feature does not mean disliking whole franchise.

FOR THE LAST TIME... STOP BEING A KILLJOY YOU PARTY-KILLER! Let people dream what they want! It ain't hurting anyone.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    FOR THE LAST TIME... STOP BEING A KILLJOY YOU PARTY-KILLER! Let people dream what they want! It ain't hurting anyone.
    I am not being anything and i appreciate it if you do not tell me what i can do. It is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I am not being anything and i appreciate it if you do not tell me what i can do. It is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

yes you don't have to like "pokemon walking with you feature" but that does not mean you have to be a wet blanket and say nothing but "nope nope nope" all the time.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    yes you don't have to like "pokemon walking with you feature" but that does not mean you have to be a wet blanket and say nothing but "nope nope nope" all the time.
    I am not. Pokemon games deserve features that actually serve a purpose and not be constantly on all the time.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years

We will appreciate if you do not tell us what we can do. They are our opinions. You don't have to agree with it.

Exact wording right back at you.

Last edited:

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
    Years
    I don't do competative battling, I only want to make a team so I can play with and against my irl friends. I am basically a Marshadow away from having all of them in pokedex order in my bank so there is zero reason for me to get the game......but if this is in the game than its good as sold despite all of that. Just so I can have a pokemon follow me around.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    We will appreciate if you do not tell us what we can do. They are our opinions. You don't have to agree with it.

Exact wording right back at you.

Don't give me that. I am not telling anyone anything. Please be honest with your post in the future.

Anyway i am glad we are not getting following pokemon again. It is unique to HGSS.

Last edited:
    Back