• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FPS

Your Current FPS games?

• Counter Strike

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Call of Duty Series

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I dun have

• I dun care

• Total voters

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    FPS or First Person Shooter games, exist in early 1990s games until now. From Doom , Half Life, Counter Strike to Call of Duty, Battlefield and Medal of Honor.

So do you play these games? Are these your favorites or even you are pro in these FPS games like Counter Strike? Share your Opinions!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I would be a complete hypocrite if i didn;t mention how much i love First Person shooters. I often use the best ever FPS games as benchmarks on the highlights of good game design and conceptualization like Doom, which I keep mentioning when it comes to a game with such colorful history from the game itself and the community it thrives on.

Stuff i play:

- Doom. From the first and some of the 3rd game. Already looking forward for Doom 4
    - Quake 1 and 2.
    - FEAR
    - Counter Strike. I might polish up on some CSGO
    - Team Fortress 2, because i loooove dat soundtrack (inb4whackedbyMeloettaforbeingaPleb)
    - Heretic and Hexen
    - Duke Nukem 3D, and DNF. Yeah, i actually have an acquired taste for DNF.
    - Halo because i actually like the series.
    - Alien vs Predator, and the 1999 version was the best one. That had a really sick multiplayer
    - Classic Shadow Warrior and Cool guy Shadow Warrior (2013). Oh yeah, I'd play Cool guy Shadow Warrior again since i found that to be one of the more unique FPS ones.

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    FPS games are among the highest rated in my books. They are very challenging and offer a lot of potential to improve your skills. I prefer class-based shooters. TF2 is one of my all-time favourite games. I also really like the zombie grinder Killing Floor, and I am very much looking forward to Blizzard's newest title Overwatch.

None of these have been added to your poll, and it makes me sad. :(

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Out of those options I easily choose battlefield. Why? Everything comes together the best. Call of Duty is just awful in every way and counter strike is an unbalanced mess imo since there's only 3 logical weapons to use (AK, Deagle, AWP.) Then there's the fact that both communities are atrocious.

As far as the actual on topic discussion goes, fps is my favorite genre. I like especially when it gets mixed with other genres (for example survival horror with Metro, RPGs, puzzles, etc.) And especially love them when made open world(same goes for multi-player to an extent)

Finally, what no Halo or Half-Life in the poll?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I'm not overly keen on FPS, if only because I'm not particularly interested in online multiplayer - which is half their appeal - or campaigns which tell more or less the same story every time. I like games with a little more single-player substance to them, I guess. Or gameplay a little more complex than "point, aim, shoot, kill" or whatever. Mostly, they're just not for me anymore.

I DID enjoy the Borderlands games quite a lot, though. That was probably due to the exotic locale and level-up system that kept me engrossed, though. When I was a bit younger I loved multiplayer matches on Timesplitters 2 as well, and the campaign was pretty good for the time-jumping between eras, rather than marching you through the same bland environments, funnelling the same enemies at you.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    When it comes to First Person Shooters, my favorite games and series are as follows:
    Bioshock
    Borderlands
    Call of Duty (mainly the World War II ones and Modern Warfare ones)
    Chex Quest
    Goldeneye 007
    Half-Life
    Halo
    Star Wars Battlefront (can be played in either first or third person)
    Star Wars Republic Commando
    Team Fortress 2
    Titanfall

For the poll, I am quite disappointed that Halo, Half-Life, and TF2 are not options

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Well at least Counter Strike was among the choices in the poll. I remember talking about CS in my other topic about "Feedback or TWHOMP" (btw, that's a good read for anyone who wants to improve on their appreciation for games plz check it out) and how i praised that game for how it feels so fantastic to play with how it really punches you in the chest while you are behind that muzzle flash. Maybe i need to polish up on some CS:GO for once.

Also, as much as I love the FPS genre, I do admit, the oversaturation of the style based on a highly successful entry was and i think it still is pretty much a common issue. You guys remember Doom? In the 90's the numerous "Doom clones" that came out, which to tell this really bluntly pretty much followed Doom's core basic gameplay of: 1) blasting demons or monsters -> 2) "Grabbing Blue, Red, and Yellow Keys, find secrets, and go to the stage's exit" 3) Profit. 4) KILL MORE DEMONS. I do admit, even when i grew up with Doom, i was overwhelmed with the numerous games that tried to be "Doom" and some of them actually end up being really good, like Heretic from Raven Software, and of course Duke Nukem 3D -> The other grand mother crocker of 90's gaming, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. At least in the era of Doom's numerous literal hellspawn of games, each "doom clone" tried to do more from the aged Doom Engine. Then again, i still enjoyed that time especially since Doom and the era of Doom clones had a lot of emphasis with level design. Also, if i remember also from the Doomclonage era, some of the games also did their best to be more creative with the weaponry, like Blood featuring secondary or alt-fire on the weapons. Man, Doom and the doom clones kinda reminded me of an "Age".

As for the Cowadooty clones, well its a different story from the "Doom's numerous hellspawned cloens" era. I don't have much to say about this issue. All i can say, well its there. And unlike Doom's era of the Doom clones, these cowadooties don't have the immersive and adventurous level design that i found enjoyable. I don't want to participate on the whole anti-cowadooty fandom of simply denouncing the series blindly for what it is right now, even though a lot of very valid points have been made. I would rather stay indifferent or Neutral like the Swiss.

I almost forgot to mention Halo. I love how brands attempted to create their "Halo Killer" with Sony in Killzone and HAZE (Oh god Haze, I have a lot to say about Haze). As for Killzone, i am a pretty big fan of that series even though the PS2 Killzone game was pretty shoddy at best. The PS3 ones i found likeable for me, then again its a different story for most other people. Wintendo, you guys need to create your Halo Killar, RIGHT NAO.

Also, don't get me started on the "Korean MMO FPS games". I remember i had so much to say about those games other than most of them being terrible and.. YOU GUESSED IT, playing like the same entry. Heck I don't even know what big successful FPS entry did these Korean MMO FPS devs drank at and tried to emulate. Some people tell me it was Counter Strike but i refuse to acknowledge Counter Strike to those Korean MMOFPS.. that would be sacrligious or even heinous. At least there's CSGO to help make most of these Korean MMOFPS games obsolete.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    First FPS I ever played was Unreal Tournament 2004. Hid behind the bases on Face Classic and sniped.

Now I will play any FPS. Main two series I play are Call Of Duty and Battlefield. Been playing COD since COD2, and Battlefield since Bad Company 1.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    First FPS I ever played was Unreal Tournament 2004. Hid behind the bases on Face Classic and sniped.

Now I will play any FPS. Main two series I play are Call Of Duty and Battlefield. Been playing COD since COD2, and Battlefield since Bad Company 1.

May i ask if you find COD2 the "best" in the series by far? I'll be crossing my fingers if you did say something.

Also with the efforts of Chamelon, Now i can continue my incoherent rant. Or not. I'll just talk about FEAR.

Also, i forgot to mention, FEAR. Yep. First Encounter Assault Recon boys and girls. Now that's a real man's game. One thing i love about FEAR and its entries, it definitely mixes great FPS action and Japanese style horror in such a way that it has to be seen to be believed. Oh and I'm not afraid to say that its one of those games that I actually can't play at night. I remember the first time playing it...

Also, is it me or is First Person POV really good when combined with Horror? Again referecing FEAR here boys and girls.

Heck, if FEAR was so well liked by a larger base, maybe we could have gotten FEAR-Clones!?

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    May i ask if you find COD2 the "best" in the series by far? I'll be crossing my fingers if you did say something.

I mean, pre-COD4 "multiplayer revolution", sure. But MW2 is the game I have the most playtime in. 25 days. 60,000+ kills. No other COD has even come close. Black Ops 3 might, but I took a 17 day break recently, so...

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    I'm fairly decent at FPS games, and I enjoy a good FPS from time to time, but I'm not too crazy about them. Some of the FPS games I enjoyed playing were Bioshock Infinite, Team Fortress 2, Borderlands 1 & 2, and Sanctum 2. Series like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't really interest me all that much.

For some reason, most FPS games just feel samey to me. I think I tend to like FPS games with more colour and personality to them, like TF2. Overwatch looks like it'll be good, so I'm looking forward to that as well. Other than that, there's not a lot of FPS games that I'm looking forward to.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I admittedly haven't played much of any FPS since Modern Warfare 2. Starting with the classic GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Turok for the N64, there hasn't been much time for me in genre after that. Not that I don't get enjoyment (and rage) out of them, but I've never really been good at them either, which probably curtails my lack of interest. Probably why I've never played any Halo, Gears of Wars, Battlefield or any other big name series of shooters.

Fallout seems to turning into a full-fledge FPS series, but it's not quite there yet. ;)

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    I am very sorry that the poll didn't include other mainstream games as you wanted because i forget ( obviously an excuse) I only point out some of the mainstream FPS from my opinion.

But I would glad if someone tells me how to add more poll option so that I can add more popular FPS. I apologise once again.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Well, sometimes. Kinda like sports games, I don't really play conventional shooters. If they have a neat quirk or fun mobility system, I'll be down.

Had a lot of fun with Titanfall because of this. You weren't really restricted by how you had to move and, though the FPS aspect wasn't all too eccentric, the mobility alone reached into other areas and made it interesting. It helped that it worked so well with clasping onto enemy titans- never used my own.

Other recent FPS'...let's see...well, SUPERHOT immediately comes to mind. The FPS that only moves when you do. Granted, I dunno if it's worth the price, but the story's interesting, the presentation's interesting, the concept's interesting, and it's dynamic- something that is essential for a game that has to have limited content. I'd recommend it on sale.

Other than that...looking forward to Doom. Galgun's an On-Rails shooter which, by extension, makes it an FPS, and that's not half-bad. And also, Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles. And, of course, Pokemon Snap. Definitely one of my favorite FPS titles.

Then there's Tribes: Ascend, which was fun for a time thanks to it's sledding mechanic. Vanquish, I hear, is a pretty unique and solid title, so I'd love to check that out. I've been a Halo fan since I was a young'un, but...well, I don't really have the time to write my thoughts about it now. Finally, easily my favorite FPS, Goldeneye 64. It's not modern, no, but it does a lot of things that still make it anomalous for all the wrong reasons. I love the hell out of that game for reasons wholly separate from nostalgia. It's control scheme was...difficult (but considering the controller, I don't blame it), there was a lot of cheese (though, to its credit, the direction could be pretty damn solid for what it was), and it was the reason we have the fantastic Get Down meme (a definite pro), but it had a solid score and a fun, open story mode that is specifically the thing that I love about it. I do hear people reminisce about the multi, which was fun, but for me, my love for the game is all owed to the storymode.

Years
    I have played and finished most that my buddy Xin Zhao Yun had mentioned above i also finished borderlands 1 recently and unreal tournament 3 black edition. So now i think i will install borderlands 2 and try some others. Also the cod 2 and cod 4 are the best because their multi player (single almost noone refers too ofc) is amazing. About the new ones i haven't tried but i heard they had super tech weapons so i guess they lose their quality.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
    I do play FPS games a lot. My favorite has got to be F.E.A.R. because it blends first person shooting action with horror very well. My favorite series though has to be either Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or Far Cry. I only played a few games in the series, I played one of them on the original Xbox (I want to say that it was either Rainbow Six 3 or Black Arrow), Vegas, Vegas 2, and the recently released Siege, but I love them because they offer a challenge as you have to play safe and you can't go in guns blazing, you have to use tactics and patience to complete objectives, while Siege on the other hand I enjoyed for having different characters with different abilities and weapon loadouts, and is focused on either attacking or defending for your objectives and I have a lot of fun playing Terrorist Hunt with people. As for the Far Cry games, I just love their survival aspects, beautiful open worlds, and high octane action gameplay, mostly in Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. I also really enjoyed Borderlands, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Juarez, and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.

There were some games like Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Alien: Isolation that I really wanted to say are also my favorites, but they didn't focus around shooting more or else stealth or in Mirror's Edge's case, platforming so I couldn't count them.

TY

There is one FPS game that takes my life away and that is Destiny. Granted it has a massive content drought right now and the state of the game is not great, I adore the game to its fullest potential and (probably foolishly) have hopes for this game.

I mainly play PvP though so thats where my hopes are at.

Years
    and counter strike is an unbalanced mess imo since there's only 3 logical weapons to use (AK, Deagle, AWP.)

I was using the Nova shotgun the other day, and it's insanely good if you know how to use it. So those three aren't necessarily the best weapons in the game.

Yukari

Some First Person Shooters are among my favorite games ever. But, considering the direction that most of them have been going in (AKA trying to be Call of Duty) I rarely enjoy modern ones. Some of my favorites are Heretic and Hexen, Doom, Half-Life, Fallout, Bioshock, System Shock, Deus Ex... Others that I can't think of. But, I've never really enjoyed Call of Duty. I'm not sure why, but I think it's at least partially because of the military theme. And since I don't like military games I don't really like most First Person Shooters in recent years. Additionally, I don't like how online oriented most First Person shooters have been recently.

Still, I love FPS games to death when they aren't online focused and/or military themed. d:

Back