• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Future of Games

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • As we see now, digital has quickly risen to the number 1 way to buy games, unless you wanna buy used or really want a physical copy.
    Do you think physical will eventually die out completely? Or is it here to stay forever?
    Anyother predictions yall got for the future of gaming? be interesting to hear

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I mean, it's kind of hard to say on whether physical would die out but personally speaking I don't see it as much of a loss.

I think with the existence of things like Limited Run etc. they've already become more of a novelty and/or collector's item than something with actual function- the actual function being putting a game into a console and playing it and also not being at the mercy of that digital copy being taken away from you. Though I'd imagine in the vast majority of people's cases, if buying a physical copy meant you were given a digital copy as well they probably wouldn't do that anyway until they're forced to.

Aaaand I'm fine with that. I mean, I like looking over at my shelf and seeing games games games, it feels good, but with the death of game manuals I find it a lot less satisfying than I used to. Not having to deal with places like gamestop or buying games from general stores is nice too. And more importantly, indie games are the future. That's what I honestly want to focus on. Because there's very much two camps when it comes to making a game: video games as a product and video games as an art. These two things can overlap, of course, but an independent developer is a lot more likely to create a game that embodies the latter. It's not because they're more creative or anything like that, it's just because they're basically selling themselves when they create a game. They often don't have huge teams or an incredibly high budget or a lot of time, and they don't have a publisher, so they can only ever rely on an idea and how that idea is presented.

I'm spiraling here but the reason that I make this point is because physical releases for independent games is a luxury, but at the same time there are more and more titles being developed every day and it's only becoming easier to make them. AAA games on the other hand only become more expensive and time consuming to make all because of a standard that doesn't well and truly exist but everyone wants to appeal to. And I guess I'm just hoping one day, as a result of this inevitable high ceiling that's being set up, the industry comes down and invests in the quality of the experience over the quantity of money seeped into each game.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Expects physical to hang around. Found a Twitter thread talking about Animal Crossing's sales (on May 7, 2020). Claims 50% of those sales were digital. Sees room for physical and digital, provided that was truthful and indicitive of the larger market.

Predicts more games to cater towards nonplaying audiences. Refers to things like Jackbox games, Party Mode in Ultimate Chicken Horse, and Crowd Control modes in some romhacks. Allows people not playing the game directly to influence it. May not necessarily be a major feature. Imagines that being attractive to people capable of reaching large audiences. Engages the audience more. Advertises your game better than a commercial.

Years
  • I ended up getting a digital copy of Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition when I purchased the physical version after I inserted the code that was included in the case, guess you could have said I was lucky.

Years
  • ..... I have a whole spiel about it; but to be frank and save some folks the trouble, I'll put my rantings into a spoiler and give you a whole 'Didn't Read, Long Post' answer.

Physical will get phased out permanently, when? That's rough to say and there will be heavy draw back's to it.

My Spiel below, you we're warned.
    Spoiler:

Back