• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Future Pal Park Problem?

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
    Years
    That would be painstaking. Imagine having, at the most, three GBA games saved on your SD Card. That would
    take up a lot of space, not to mention it would be hard enough getting the GBA data onto the card accurately.

you do realize that pokemon GBA Roms are at the most 16MB and SD cards made nowadays are 1, 2, 4, and 8 GB? and the smallest that one could come across is 128MB?

And getting GBA Data onto the card accurately isn't going to be the problem. What hasn't been confirmed is whether the DSi software would have the ability to read GBA from the SD card.

Think about it, if Nintendo gave the DSi the ability to play GBA ROMs stored on the SD card, distribution of roms across the internet would increase from gamers with flash carts to anyone with a DSi. Nintendo couldn't let that happen and risk losing money from the DSi shop.

So the only possibility I see AT ALL, IF AT ALL, is some sort of adapter that inserts into the SD card slot or the DS cart slot

*PrincessPika-chu*

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    They probably would do that if they had some kind of firmware for the DSi, that won't let you play roms that aren't downloaded from the DSi shop. Just like we can't save a wii ISO or a SNES ISO onto a SD card and stick it into the wii, but we can play the same games if they are downloaded from the shop.

That is a great idea, but I doubt Nintendo would do that--put GBA games in the DSi shop. (But they may surprise me)

I'm gettng a DSi, I traded in my broken out of warranty, replaced systems, and just got about $40 more to pay on it. I'm keeping my faithful Fat DS, for the GBA insertion, and I can battle and trade between two DS's now.

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
    Years
    They probably would do that if they had some kind of firmware for the DSi, that won't let you play roms that aren't downloaded from the DSi shop. Just like we can't save a wii ISO or a SNES ISO onto a SD card and stick it into the wii, but we can play the same games if they are downloaded from the shop.

That is a great idea, but I doubt Nintendo would do that--put GBA games in the DSi shop. (But they may surprise me)

I'm gettng a DSi, I traded in my broken out of warranty, replaced systems, and just got about $40 more to pay on it. I'm keeping my faithful Fat DS, for the GBA insertion, and I can battle and trade between two DS's now.

Somewhere I recall seeing that Nintendo said that they planned on putting GBA games into the DSi shop. I don't recall exactly

*PrincessPika-chu*

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    I googled it and found like a few things. Nintendo gave no definite answer, and by knowing game developers, etc., they probably are gonna have GBA in the DSi shop, if there is an unsure answer.

It makes sense since SNES and stuff in in the Wii Shop, it won't be a huge conversion issue putting the GB/GBA games into the DSi shop. I thought about it and it's really possible.

Thanks.

I don't have any GBA games, so it isn't like I would miss the slot. Usually, I would just ask for an insertion pokemon online, or just hack it, and hatch eggs from it, to make it legit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2009
    all the previous generations are already available on gts...
    people (like myself) that have pearl or diamond can and have virtually mass produce all non legendaries for trading.

so really the only way i see it being a BIG problem is if someone has a DSi, no access to the internet, and no friends that have a ds and really want those pokemon...
    but then it's always been that you couldn't get them all on a single cart anyway.. with red and blue if you didn't have access to both you couldn't, same with gold and silver, ruby n sapphire..
    it's only with diamond, pearl and platinum that you had any chance of getting all or even most of them without having two systems and two games plus a link cable or friends.. thanks to gts and pal park, technically even for pal park you need to have multiple games.

Years
    Its all a massive marketing strategy

I can say with out any fear that majority of DSi users will own at least one or more of D/P/Pt. And therefore most of DSi users will want to complete the pokedex.
    So without a GBA slot, you will have to [strike]buy another attachment, or[/strike] buy for the next series of games, which I'm willing to bet has have the pokemon which were previously only available through the GBA games.

Kinda like when R/S/E was released, but you couldn't get some pokemon from R/B/Y/G/S/C. So you had to buy FR/LG to complete the pokedex.
    ^ This. They want your money, so lack of backwards compatibility will force you to buy the next installment of games, which will surely contain the missing Pokémon. I'm willing to bet this next installment is a G/S/C remake with the Kanto (possibly even Hoenn) starters added, plus maybe Mewtwo/Lati@s as well. The birdies and Regis are already in Platinum.

The Hoenn ubers (and Mewtwo?) are likely to become GenIV's version of GenIII's Lugia/Ho-oh: Not supposed to be unobtainable but are anyway, for the most part.

So just keep your DS. Boycott the i. It's not worth it for cameras and no GBA slot.

*PrincessPika-chu*

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    True. Nintendo knows that the only games people are concerned about with GBA compatibility are Pokemon, and the only DS game is Guitar Hero. People are gonna buy the next installment of Pokemon games no matter what, but I get you when it forces you to buy games, like other GBA game remakes on DS.

But truly, GBA is slowly dying. The GBA section in stores gets smaller and smaller every year, and soon, it would be gone, just like Xbox and GC. (Now games for these consoles are getting resold on Live and Wii Shop) Nintendo knows there are people who have lots of GBA games, and they just want to stop support of it...so they just expect people to keep their GBA SP to play GBA games, like someone with a lot of NES games should keep their NES.

I am really hoping for that G/S/C remake. I still play my Crystal and Stadium 2, because I miss it, and replaced their batteries. It is way overdue. Instead, they come out with these stupid games that takes no time to produce like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger. Firered and LeafGreen came out when there wasn't none of this. And I would be darned if they made a Kanto Remake for DS, I am sick of Kanto. G/S/C were the best for the money too...16 Gym leaders, 2 regions, the E4 and Mt. Silver? They totally need to do this again. I don't care, mix Hoenn and Kanto, but that was a good game.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    There is one thing that I view the DSi as, and that's Nintendo's answer to the PSP, while PSP 3000 actually has a microphone piece, now. The only thing that the DSi has over the PSP is the photo editing software and the two cameras, but in all honesty, I don't really need a camera and photo editing is just as easily, and done better for me on my laptop.

The removal of the GBA port with the DSi is what stopped me from buying one. I actually went out of my way to upgrade to the DSLite when I found out the DSi was coming out, for fear that it would completely replace the DSLite, which is usually the case with Nintendo hand held consoles.

As for the possibility of GBA games being on an online store for download... I'm a little skepticle... unless they did something to prevent replication and distribution of the GBA files. But even then, I'm still a little wary of them doing that... so far, its all just rumours and speculation. Same with the possibility of a GBA adaptor for the games; at the moment, its all just speculation, but it makes me wonder, when Nintendo probably know they'd easily make money on such a device. that is, if they can get one to work. I kinda have visions of them making an adaptor that hooks underneath the DSi and slots into the DS Cartridge slot, lol

But in general, the PSP does everything I'd use the DSi for, so I'm not planning on 'upgrading' to a DSi; not when I've not long since bought a new DSLite. So the whole DSi-Pal Park thing isn't an issue for me. ^^

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    well since gameboy is dieing it make sense they took the slot out but I am still dissapointed which is why I am not upgrading from my lite

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    So just keep your DS. Boycott the i. It's not worth it for cameras and no GBA slot.

This.

And your Platinum instruction manual specifically says that compatibility with Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen requires a DS or DS Lite system. The DSi was not made for Pokemon fans.

Back