• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen G/S/C is overrated

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • I think that G/S/C is a very overrated generation. This is so because mainly how easy the games were. Although the beginning of the game was actually hard, mainly due to annoying gym leaders like Bugsy and Whitney, as soon as it got to Morty, the game became obscenely easy. While R/B/Y offered a great challenge, G/S/C was quite easy. The trainers were ridiculously underleveled. Just compare the Elite Four in G/S/C to the Elite Four in R/B/Y. While the Champion in R/B/Y had numerous Pokemon well into the 60s, the highest leveled pokemon in the G/S/C elite four was only 50. Plus, the wild Pokemon were at such low levels that you basically had to catch your entire party early into the game if you didn't want to have to work really hard to get your new party member up to a reasonable level. R/B/Y is far superior than G/S/C.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Are you or have you ever been a troll?

People don't talk about G/S/C series because it's easy and you can brag on how far you are.
    It's a good series. The best in my opinion.
    As for training if you train your pokémon evenly it can make it more challenging in some ways. but easy as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, bringing up a legitimate complaint about GSC is trolling.

This is a problem which extends into HG/SS as well, the game has some serious issues with the level curve.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Are you or have you ever been a troll?

Have you ever been respectful of peoples' opinions? Seriously, it's his opinion. You're entitled to your own as well, but don't say he's a troll just because he differs from you. Nothing rude or disrespectful about GSC was said. So cool your jets.

I don't want to see any problems come out of this thread. Most threads like this get locked, and so far this one is civil, but we can't have comments like that. I shouldn't have to hover over this like a hawk. For whatever reasons, when threads like these come along, no one can stay calm and respect others' opinions. Keep things civil in here, guys.

I personally feel like GSC is overrated. Everyone seems to love GSC and all the Pokemon from it, the music, everything. So it may be overrated, but I think it's overrated for a good reason. I don't get tired of it and it's always fun to play through. It's not my favorite to play through again, but it deserves its "overratedness" if anything. I think nostalgia goggles play a big role in that too, and I also think, with that being said, that RBY are overrated as well.

Years
  • Well i can see what you mean about easy gym leaders but really thats mostly because the most common teams, for example ampharos and graveler had a good advantage over most gym leaders.
    But after the elite 4 is where it got tough, you were drawn into a false sense of security by the kanto gym leaders so when you finally got to red you had the challenge of grinding to get up to his level.

Oh, and just an fyi up until HG SS came out it had the highest level pokemon in all of the games.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • It's not overrated IMO. It deserves the attention it get's, it's the longest Pokemon game. [Barring out the "catch em' all" stuff] Boasting two regions, 16 Gyms, a crap load of side requests, and the trainer with the highest level Pokemon, I say G/S/C get's the right amount of attention. \: Sure the Johto side of things maybe low leveled, but the game doesn't offer a high level of Pokemon to defeat, so leveling up was hard, however when you got to Kanto, the difficulty level increases, making you grind even more, making it even more challenging, and going by the flow of the game, you expect Red to have Pokemon at around level 65-70, that's what get's you.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I don't get how this makes GSC overrated. It's popular. People love it. Games are about having fun, so all it really takes to make a game good is for lots of people to enjoy it. (TL;DR something cannot be both popular and overrated. Sorry rebels)

I can tell you why people enjoy it.

GSC had much better graphics, two regions offer much more to explore along with much more post-story gamelpay, the day and night system, an incredibly lovable story, more cool pokemon, ditched the lamest HM ever flash, fixed RBY's shoddy typing system and added more depth to it on top of that, introduced the concept of held items, introduced the concept of many types of pokeballs that specialize in various things, gave you the choice of playing as a female, introduced fun in-game events such as the national park, gave us a post-game final boss in the form of Red...

That's just off the top of my head.

(Difficulty doesn't really make a quality game. I can name terrible abominations of games that are absurdly difficult.)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I didn't say that the games were bad. I just said that they were overrated. I still enjoy playing through them, but I don't agree with the people who say that they are the "best" pokemon games. They just seemed a bit too easy before the battle with Red. They were still fun. I still play Gold on my emulator (I accidentally killed my actual Gold version when trying to replace the battery), but I'm just saying that I don't agree with the countless amount of fans who say that they are the best out of the series.

NTA

Where?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2012
    Lol I remember Morty... I had to fend him off with my level 5 Togepi that recently hatched... lol!

Whitney was annoying with that bs rollout Miltank >_>

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I didn't say that the games were bad. I just said that they were overrated. I still enjoy playing through them, but I don't agree with the people who say that they are the "best" pokemon games. They just seemed a bit too easy before the battle with Red. They were still fun. I still play Gold on my emulator (I accidentally killed my actual Gold version when trying to replace the battery), but I'm just saying that I don't agree with the countless amount of fans who say that they are the best out of the series.
    Each to his/her own, certainly - I can see why some people feel GSC is overrated at times when you look at some of the fans' gushing over it despite its flaws - ceertainly on the forums I have seen it usually has the most vocal/largest number of supporters at times. But well, it's a matter of opinion - each main game gen has its pros and cons so some prefer certain gens over others.

Personally I certainly rate GSC quite highly, nostalgia be damned. XD

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • G/S/C is personally my favorite series, so I'm gonna disagree with you on that, unfortunately.

The games did provide a good challenge but not as challenging as R/B/Y. The elite four was seriously tough, though. The gym leaders were alright though, well...Whitney was the toughest one, to be honest. xD

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Johto is by far the most bland of all of the regions imo. I have fond memories of the game of course, but compare it to any of the other regions, and it just isn't nearly as diverse, or enjoyable to play.

I wouldn't say that makes it overrated, but I just don't like it as much as the others.

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
  • I'm playing through Crystal now, WITH NO NOSTALGIA, because I started with Gen 3 and went up from there.

It's amazing, is all I have to say. HGSS beats it of course, but Crystal has a nice feel.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    Crystal was my favorite game by far... You had 16 gyms, 2 "champions", and a hell of a lot to do :) I didn't think it was that easy, as I changed my party frequently, so the levels were more or less ok. I DO think however that the 2nd part of the game (Kanto) was kinda easy, but that's mainly because I was already completely used to Kanto, cuz of Red/Blue/Yellow...

Years
  • I honestly don't think there was really much of a difference between the difficulties of the games. Sure, the levels are lower in Johto, but it's really all relative to the trainers you face--if you're facing lower-level trainers, your party is also going to be low-level, because you're not going to get as much experience. It balances out, which is how it should be with a Pokémon game. I mean, really, who plays straight through a Pokémon game for the challenge?

I also think Johto is the coolest overall region. Kanto had better Pokémon, but Johto had places like Goldenrod City, Ecruteak City, Mahogony Town, Olivine City--some of the coolest cities in the series, and none of them (save perhaps Cherrygrove) are really forgettable.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I can definitely see why and agree with the people talking about GSC being overrated. IMO it's the fact that it was a lengthy game and it did fill out the adventure quality much much more than RBY ever did - people liked it because it was always a more filling game than RBY and it had more to do, etc. Plus they started getting creative in GSC with the Pokégear and day/night stuff and yeah. GSC is loved because it was a huuuge step past RBY, plus like Syd said everyone has their nostalgia goggles on for it because this was everyone's favorite when they were kids too.

Difficulty-wise, I've always thought the difference in all the games is negligible. Maybe it's just me but I've never really accounted for difficulty in how much I like a Pokémon game because they're all mostly the same level in difficulty to me.

Years
  • I'd better put my hands down.
    And why was G/S/C overrated?

It was a very good game and had two regions in one game
    Plus, Red is a very good addition in the game.
    Pain in the "ssA"

And yes, i guess.
    The trainers are underleved and maybe that's because of the double regions.
    But Lance has Hacked Dragonites and very hard to faint.

Aaand..... B/W has a boring Elite Four.

Back