• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Franchises You've Never Really Gotten Into

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Animal Crossing
    Legend of Zelda
    Mario
    Street Fighter
    Team Fortress

JRPGs in general
    TPRGs in general

Do your gaming preference trends turn out to be rather opaque?
    Perhaps, but I tend to like something I somehow think I'll like, so it tends not to end up mattering.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I...kinda feel bad for people who listed a lot here.

The only franchise I can think of personally is Kingdom Hearts, but only because I'm a bitter Disney fan. (...doesn't help I hate the level design and mechanics)
    Tekken, Street Fighter, and most fighting games. I was really turned off by that branch of the gaming community years back. The way people play when you're trying to learn things and ask for help is disgusting at best.
    Damn, that sucks to hear. I think getting into fighting games boils down down to luck from what I've seen, it all depends on who you meet and how you get into it. Personally I met a guy (really cool friend) who helped me understand fighting games a lot better. The FGC is tough and are very assholish, but it's way better than before, fortunately. I know a lot of well known players like MarkMan and MaximillianDood are pushing to help newcomers get into fighting games. I'd say give it another try, fighting games shouldn't be missed because of some *******s. The Tekken community is pretty friendly from what I've seen, so try there first? Although Tekken is probably one of the hardest fighting games to learn, if not the hardest.

Just don't go to SRK. Ever.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    I never really got into the Sly Cooper series because I feel like there is a small rivalry between Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank and I have always been on "Team Ratchet" I guess.

Years
    Damn, that sucks to hear. I think getting into fighting games boils down down to luck from what I've seen, it all depends on who you meet and how you get into it. Personally I met a guy (really cool friend) who helped me understand fighting games a lot better. The FGC is tough and are very assholish, but it's way better than before, fortunately. I know a lot of well known players like MarkMan and MaximillianDood are pushing to help newcomers get into fighting games. I'd say give it another try, fighting games shouldn't be missed because of some *******s. The Tekken community is pretty friendly from what I've seen, so try there first? Although Tekken is probably one of the hardest fighting games to learn, if not the hardest.

Just don't go to SRK. Ever.
    I'm not well-acquainted with most fighting game communities, one exception being that of Super Smash Bros., which I find decidedly a*shole-ish and unwelcoming. How does it compare to the others?

Reactions: T!M
    Years
    Hmm... I am really into only 1 game series, but I shall think!

1. Halo ( ALL!!! )
    2. Mirrors Edge
    3. Battlefield ( All )
    4. Mass Effect ( 2,3 )
    5. Fallout: New Vegas
    6. Destiny ( Not yet released )
    7. Titanfall ( Not yet released )
    8. Assassins Creed ( All )
    9. Minecraft

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm not well-acquainted with most fighting game communities, one exception being that of Super Smash Bros., which I find decidedly a*shole-ish and unwelcoming. How does it compare to the others?
    Smash's community is pretty divided. The Melee community is on the unwelcoming side but Brawl's is significantly better, from my experience. Dunno about 64, I never played that competitively.

Melee's is bad (and there's no signs of improving), but Street Fighter is the worst. Anime fighters, Mortal Kombat and Tekken are probably the best of them. Marvel vs Capcom 3's is pretty good as well towards newcomers.

When it comes down to it, it boils down to luck, like I said. And the forum. SRK is terrible, but I found NeoGAF (which has a lot of fighting game players) to be pretty great towards newcomers.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    In a nutshell, I've just never been able to get into the following franchises, even after trying them for a while:

-Animal Crossing
    -Sonic the Hedgehog
    -Mario Party (and other Mario spinoffs, save for Mario Kart)
    -Final Fantasy (FF VII and later)
    -All First Person Shooters
    -All Fighting games (except for Smash Bros. and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo)
    -All Racing games (again, except Mario Kart)
    -Basically all Xbox and PlayStation Games (I don't hate them like I used to, I'm just not a fan of either console)

Years
    -Basically all Xbox and PlayStation Games (I don't hate them like I used to, I'm just not a fan of either console)
    I was like this until 2010 when I got my PS1 (and then my PS2, Sega Saturn, and Sega Game Gear over the next 1-2 years). I just hadn't had any reason to pick up a non-Nintendo console; I thought of them as equivalent to Nintendo ones but without as many first-party franchises and with a more obnoxious, "I'm so mature" player base. Per my experience, I encourage you to try some of the franchises that are like Nintendo ones, like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, and Ape Escape.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I could never get into zelda or final fantasy games much really. In fact for some reason it's pretty difficult for me to get into games now. It'd have to be a really good game with a great storyline for me to want to play straight through it. I have no idea why I'm so picky with it now.
    It's like now I'm more into games like SSB, Mario Kart, games you can just play multi player.

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    Well, lets see....

Zelda (played one game but never got the point)
    anything xbox or playstation related (I've ALWAYS been a Nintendo person)
    Sonic the Hedgehog (I want to try it some time, I hear its about as cool as Mario)
    (most) app games (I used to play these but they got really boring)
    Atari ( I have a flashback 4 now but before that I hardly knew what Atari was)
    Consoles (I haven't gotten a new console since I got a gamecube)
    Super Smash Bros. ( I just never got the point and never got the chance to buy a game)

not much else really.

Years
    Sonic the Hedgehog (I want to try it some time, I hear its about as cool as Mario)
    The gameplay's very different among platformers, but yeah, I enjoy the main platformers about equally. (However, be warned that the 3D Sonic ones tend to have mild camera and positioning issues. You can get used to them, but they turn a lot of people off.) There are, however, also mad spinoffs, just like the Mario franchise has.

Atari ( I have a flashback 4 now but before that I hardly knew what Atari was)
    I played Pitfall once at my college's video game club, but overall you have this experience over me. My dad had an Atari machine with Pong when he was a teenager.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    The Ace Attorney games, I've never played one. There's so many fans of the game, and I need to buy one to try it. I liked the Professor Layton games, I mean they weren't my favorite but I enjoyed them. I the Ace Attorney games are anything like the PL series then I believe I would enjoy it.

The LittleBigPlanet games. Ever since the series was released I've wanted to try the game out. I still have yet to even play the game and it''s disappointing. Shadow of Colossus, another game I want to play on PS3.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game either. The game has so much hype to it, but it never really interested me like so many other gamers. Idk why.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Diablo series. A lot of my friends played Diablo II to death, and begrudgingly play Diablo III. Now, I do own Diablo II and III, but I never made an effort to play the games more than once.

Metroid is another series I couldn't get into. Now I don't hate Metroid, I found Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid great games. But, I never found the interest to delve into Prime or some of the other iterations.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    There's a ton, but a big one is Zelda. I got a lot of friends who play it and they reference it a lot and I have no clue what they are talking about. Zelda came with my GameCube when I first got it, but I never really played cause I was more occupied with Mario and Pokemon at the time.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
    There's a ton, but a big one is Zelda. I got a lot of friends who play it and they reference it a lot and I have no clue what they are talking about. Zelda came with my GameCube when I first got it, but I never really played cause I was more occupied with Mario and Pokemon at the time.

Gotta agree with you here. I've played most of the entries into the series but, never really got into it/enjoyed them XD

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    Fire Emblem
    Grand Theft Auto
    Kirby
    Phoenix Wright

I'll just name these as of now.

All of the above except for Kirby is because I don't really have any interest in them. Kirby, I'd give it a try but when i wanna buy a game, I'd rather buy a game I know I'm going to enjoy, hence why i don't play Kirby often.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    -Legend of Zelda - I just never got to into the newer games. I quite like the old ones, though, and Link Between Worlds was quite good.

-Super Smash Bros. - Tourneytards ruined this game for me. Plus, I just never liked it too much, I'm more a Street Fighter guy myself.

-Kirby - I remember playing Super Star Ultra for DS in 6th grade. That's about it.

-Kingdom Hearts - I personally think the character design is atrocious, and I never liked Disney. At all.

-Animal Crossing - I have it for GCN, but I never really got into it.

-Sonic the Hedgehog - I hate the fanbase, and I've always been more of a Mario guy.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
    Disgaea. I've played the original before, but didn't get too far in it due to the disc be scratched. I really want to play more of it, but I can't find a copy of any of the ps2 games anywhere.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Fire Emblem
    The Legend of Zelda
    Every WRPG not named Fallout: New Vegas or Planescape: Torment.

I've definitely tried to get interested in all of these, but Jesus I do not like Bioware games at all, and Fire Emblem/Zelda are too simple for my tastes.

Back