• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Game Mechanic: Friend Safari

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
  • Hey everyone. I've been snooping around for a while and I just want to see what was people's actual feelings for the friend safari.

No doubt it was a good idea by the developers to make this section of the game. However, I feel like it is sort of unfair for a LOT of people. For example, I don't have the greatest friend safari in the world. It stops almost everyone from adding me. It's rather unfair to those people. On the flip side, if you have a good friend safari, you can basically get any Pokemon you want. I feel like there should have been some way to give everyone a chance for a good safari or at least randomize the Pokemon every day.

So how do you guys feel about it?

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • It's an excellent addition. Great way to get some breeding slave, since every pokemon in there has at least two IVs, and rare pokemon hide in there as well. Easy way to get some really strong pokemon, even moreso because you can find one with its hidden ability.

As for your dilemma, people are just being jerks. I don't even know what my safari is and already have 16 friends. Just find your niche. :D

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    I like it a lot! It's an interesting way to collect some Pokemon that would otherwise be hard to get! It's also a really fun way of bringing a community together!

Scwib

His Scwibliness
    Years
  • Haven't played in the Safari yet, but I understand the idea and I think it's great! Can't wait to find Heracross and some rare pokes.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • I think it's awesome and I also agree with you about the unfairness.
    I think they could have made a cycle. Like if you have a Steel safari, on Sundays you would have a Skarmory, Monday you would have a Klefki, Tuesday you would have an Excadrill.... etc.

But even if you can't find friends for it, there's always Reddit's friendsafari section.
    I don't have the best safari (Ice type - Spheal, Sneasel, Cloyster), But I manage to get people to add me. Some people add anyone, even if they have a Ditto/Eevee safari.

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
  • I have a pretty bad safari too, but I have like 40 friends from this site alone. One key is to just not tell everyone what your safari is. (Unless they ask, of course. Don't be a jerk.)

The other is to have people add you for other reasons.
    I've gotten a good 10-20 friends just from giving away Pokerus, helping people with trades (like evolution or transferring Pokemon to other games/saves), or just helping others in general.

Example: I used to keep a list of good safaris that have Pokemon tons of people request, notice when others ask for them, then PM them the safaris I found that met their needs. I usually got friend requests in return and sometimes more.

Just gotta find some ways to prove that you're "worth a spot" on others' friend lists. Some people have it easy just because of the Safari they have, but I feel good earning my spot.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
  • i had mixed feelings about it at first; before i joined pokecommunity i had about 3 friends on my 3ds and so i really didn't like it because i'm not a social person and i'm always afraid to ask people for their codes elsewhere. but after i made some more 3ds friends on here i got used to it and now i like how it works a lot. the initial reason for me joining was to share my friend code lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love Friend Safari. It gives you the chance to capture a variety of Pokémon, including those who are not native to Kalos. You're able to find a few starter Pokémon here as well, such as Charmeleon, Braixen, Quilladin, Ivysaur, and so on—these are extremely rare. Also, Friend Safari is the only place where you may Pokémon with their hidden abilities. Pretty cool, right? I've captured a ton of Pokémon from this place, including Chansey, Smeargle, Chansey, Bagon, Fraxure, and Gabite. Out of all these 'mon, my Gabite would have to be my most favorite. It's got the Adamant nature, which enables it to take better advantage of its Attack stat. And its ability is Sand Veil, which raises its evasiveness during Sandstorm. Would've liked it more if it was Rough Skin, but oh well; can't have everything. d:

Years
  • Out of all these 'mon, my Gabite would have to be my most favorite. It's got the Adamant nature, which enables it to take better advantage of its Attack stat. And its ability is Sand Veil, which raises its evasiveness during Sandstorm. Would've liked it more if it was Rough Skin, but oh well; can't have everything. d:

Well since you've seen Gabite now, you can try for more and hope to get one with Rough Skin :P

Anyway, i've registered a few people and got Friend Safaris from them, but the biggest one so far was a Protean Frogadier. :D I've already tried to friend two people that I know have Gyarados in their safari, but neither have added me back or even replied. =(

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    I for one am a fan of Friend Safari.. gives each and every one of us a sense of individuality :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    It's a nice concept. I like the idea of there being hidden abilities from the pokemon, but it sucks for me because It basically requires people to spam their FC's just to be able to get the poke' exclusives that you couldn't get any other way- at leas until Pokebank comes out- because Wonder trade is a big bag of chance, and GTS takes forever, sometimes. And not everyone is a "spam for friends" kind of gamer. I've just been more or less relying on wonder trade to get lucky and land me some of the safari exclusives to fill my pokedex.
    so yeah- Friend safari gets more negative reviews than positive from me

Years
  • I can't really make up my mind. It's a little unfair; you can only encounter certain Pokemon based on people on your Friend List...
    Honestly, I think I'd rather have the old Safari Zone back.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    the only down side I have with the friend safari is that there is only 3 pokemon in each of them.

Yeah, I was just about to post that, it would be cooler to be a larger area with more pkmn for each person and maybe some other benefits like egg moves or something.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2013
    I know the Ditto safaris are special, but howcome eevee's are special? Ok, they have various evolution types, but can be cought easily in the wild.

Years
  • I know the Ditto safaris are special, but howcome eevee's are special? Ok, they have various evolution types, but can be cought easily in the wild.
    This is due to them having at least 2 perfect IVs. Which is quite tempting for people who want to get a competitive Slyveon

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2013
    Ah Ok, I would swap the eevee safari for ditto's anyday, I have 3 friends with eevee's lol.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • I love the Friend Safari. With a few exceptions, they basically have every Pokemon I could possibly want to train right there primed for catching.

As for not having people register you, simply omit the typing of your Safari. I have several Rock-,Ice-, and Ground-Type Safaris that I have no use for personally, but if someone should want to trade for a Pupitar or a Lapras, they come in handy.

Back