• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] GameStop to stay open in the event of a Lockdown

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    I need to rush to get a physical copy of Animal Crossing New Horizons before they shut-down for quarantine.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    I feel as if that would be a stupid idea, and besides, what if businesses aren't allowed to stay open during the outbreak?

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Pretty sure a video game store isn't "essential", especially not with the digital market being around for video games, but ok Gamestop.

Not suprised it hasn't gone well for them either, I mean they shot themselves in the knee by making that statement. It's not like the world is about to end if Gamestop has to close down for a while due to this mess we're living in atm.

But then again who knows closing for a while may end Gamestop, seeing as they had been in trouble for quite some time iirc.

pkmin3033

I don't think it's their keeping stores open that is the problem as much as it is their attitude. Gamestop's reputation is already in tatters, and this just further illustrates their complete lack of care for their customers and employees...and a horrific lack of social responsibility, because in times like this stores are basically hubs for the virus. Especially when they don't provide sanitation products, despite claiming that they will. They're actively spreading the coronavirus with this.

If Gamestop took a more thoughtful attitude towards keeping their stores open - adjusting opening hours, actually providing cleaning products, and closing some stores where there is a higher risk - then I don't think it would be as big of a problem, because a lot of businesses that aren't deemed essential - which, by the way, Gamestop are not - are staying open with provisions to close if necessary. The issue is that they're concerned solely with making profit because they've been on a downward spiral and are looking to capitalise on self-isolation and the closure of other stores. It's borderline profiteering and it's absolutely disgusting.

Years
  • Is there any games coming out in the next month beyond say Final Fantasy 7 that would warrant keeping the store open? I can understand say this weekend for Doom and Animal Crossing, but after that it seems like there is nothing special that could be either given out via curb side service for those that pre ordered, like fast food places, or that people could wait a few weeks for.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Once again I'm in the minority. I'm glad but I understand the concern. I mean I'm still a year+ behind on games so if I can't get Final Fantasy 7 Remake immediately that's obviously fine but I've just always been the type of person who wants the game ASAP so I have it when I'm able to play it/get to it.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about actually going down to get it.

pkmin3033

As a relevant tangent, GAME in the UK are doing much the same thing...at least for the moment. Their reputation isn't *quite* as soiled as Gamestop's - and nor are they offering the same excuses - but considering their financial position has put them in administration more than once over the last few years, it's concerning that they seem to be prioritising profits over health and safety.

As I said, I really don't think it would be a huge problem in some areas if stores remained open and adequate precautions were taken...possibly. Given the mandatory shutdown of many places, I think the window of opportunity these companies seem to think they have will very quickly disappear. But this desire to keep all stores open without providing proper equipment...it's irresponsible.

Years
  • it's sort of surprising that GameStop would make this sort of decision until you realize how extremely desperate they are to make any sort of a dollar under any means possible. closing down their stores would mean millions in losses from a company that's already hemorrhaging money as it is.

not that i'm saying that this is a good decision or anything, it's awful. but it's exactly what GameStop would do.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • This is moot now. All stores are closing and only employees are allowed to enter.

I got an e-mail from GameStop stating as such and some sort of Delivery service now.

Back