• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming Perfectionism?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Anyone got the love/hate relationship within themselves that you can't bring yourself to really classify a game as "completed" without doing everything within your power for it? Sometimes, people get the feeling that without achieving the greatest powerups and finest stats for your stuff, and getting every obtainable item or title, the game is not really completed. The most you can say is that you have "finished" the game to see the credits roll by along with a fancy ending.

It's like me with FFTA... got the game long time ago, but then restarted the game half way after realizing that "I could've gotton inhumane speed and other good stats if I leveled up as an assassin for all the levels instead of leveling as a bit of fencer, a bit of red mage, and a bit of everything else!" Never got myself to finish the game in the end...

Anyone else feel the same way?

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    I have the perfectionism while playing, but it's not related to completing the game. More like what I'm capable of or a high score.

LelandLancaster

Sexy Cupcake
    Years
    Oh man. I don't understand people who have to just get everything in the game. I guess it's a completion thing but still... Personally, I love to go through a game as fast as I can with the least amount of stuff to just finish. It makes games last shorter for me, but I can then move on to other ones. :)

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    Man, Dakota had a huge problem with this (when Super Smash Melee came out)...he wasn't satisfied no matter if he beat it with every character in every mode even the unlocked ones...even after he got every trophey...even after playing countless...and thats an understatment...of the game he still felt he hadn't truely gotten 100%

As for me the only games I completed 100%, were the GTA series and the Tony Hawk series...I tried Gran Turismo but thats insane...

Years
    I am a gaming perfectionist to the power of 9! I have to collect everything, get as much of everything as possible, etc. In Sapphire, all my Pokémon were level 20 before the first gym. (I had a Combuskin, Kirlia, and Masquarain. I am a rare Pokémon perfectionist.)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My brother does the uber completion. I'm usually happy simply completing it unless there are alternate endings. For example, I've played ToS several times to get the different ending variations. And I've spent ages on FFX-2 trying to get 100%. @_@;

Most of the time I'm happy with just completing the basic storyline, though.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I'm not a perfectionist in RPG's, but in FPS's, I am :O

For example:
    "Oh snap, I got hit with 5 damage"
    > Quickload from quicksaved slot

"Oh, I should have swapped the sniper for a Type-7"
    > Restart whole chapter

...happens all the time...

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Yup, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to gaming. I have a couple of examples too...

No one lives forever:
    Zomg! I was spotted *has to load from his last quicksave*
    I was actually hit? O_O *has to load now too*

Kingdom hearts: Chain of memories:
    Whenever a boss breaks one of my combos I absolutely have to start the boss battle again O.o

Any heroes of might and magic game:
    Whenever I realize I could have won a battle with less units dieing (wether it's about 1 or 1000 units) I have to load from my last autosave.

I could keep on with this list forever...

Years
    Nope, not at all. I just want to finish the game. I don't care if I got all of the best items or not. That's not too important to me. If I beat the game, I'm good. :3

Pete

<>PAWN CONTROL 1.0<>
    Years
    Ultimate torture for perfectionists: Tetris. You can't complete it, you can only do better.

I'm a sort of perfectionist, except in Rockman games, where they are so hard it's near impossible to beat the standard storyline.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    The only game I have ever been known to do this with is Fire Emblem; but, for people who enjoy the series, it's not uncommon for someone to restart an entire chapter if one of their units dies, they miss obtaining an important item, or if the random number generator which determines stat growth underpowers multiple (or even one) unit(s) through bad fortune. Otherwise, if I've beaten a game, I'm happy and I don't tend to replay it in the search for perfection. Few games have much replay value for me.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    I'm lucky if I even beat the game (as a whole). Heck, I couldn't even persist through the second game of ToS...kept starting over because I wanted to change my mind about the purchase of special attributes.

So in general, no, I'm not a game perfectionist. =P

Years
    I'm not,
    If I was i'd have completed every one of the bonus missions on Guild Wars, raised my pet up to level 20, and got to lvl 20 myself, the Level 20 bit would have been done in Ascalon, I'd have done ALL of the pre-searing quests, and ALL of the ascalon quests, and I'd just be starting on Kryta O.o

Digiko

The l33t lurker!!!
    Years
    I'd call myself a perfectionist, especially on Kirby. I don't know.. Kirby games usually give you something special, weather it be a feature or new character when you get 100%. I have Kirby Canvas Curse and Nightmare in Dreamland on 100%. I'm working on getting Amazing Mirror on 100% but I don't think I will.. It's way harder. X.x; (Those maps on Gamefaqs help alot! xD)

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    Now that I remember, FF Tactics drove me insane, just because I wanted everything...it was just so tempting the same held true with FF Tactics Advance...Me and my freind were at the point where we had everything and we could kill each other in a matter of seconds...it all depended on who went first...quite pointless but still...perfectionism at its worst...

And don't get me started on Pokemon or Golden Sun...again I perfected them to the best of my abilities...

Back