• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gas Prices

Auistle

seTranquility.
Years
  • As you all might now, the gas prices these days have been growing up and lowering down. I know some of the members of this community are 16 and over, which means they have their licenses, so I was just wondering how it effects your lives. I am not old enough to drive, but I think some other people would also like to know how you guys are reacting to this change. Some people might not notice the change becuase of their certain amounts of money, but most people are reacting to this change in many different ways. Right now they are low, but as I said, they might raise again.

I've also heard that they're going to raise the price of gas again, becuase of various reasons. Want to know what reasons? Google is your friend. Anyways, more and more people are buying gas. We are wasting valuable things. Some people just buy gas to go to places they don't need to go. I've heard of a few tips: To try to get all you need in one trip in your car. Now that the gas prices are going crazy, I'd suspect teenagers are having a much harder time with it then adults.

So, how are the gas prices effecting you?

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I don't drive that much (I really don't like it!), but...

I've not really been affected by fuel prices that much - if I drive it's only sort of the three miles to work and back, and my car is small and economical with its 998cc engine.

Of course, there's also the matter of when you've got your car to your destination, you've got to park it. Luckily enough the County Council, where I work, operates a park and ride service where you can park cheaply on the edge of town and a bus service operates every 15 minutes at peak times to the car park.

I do normally get the bus to and from work (only £0.90 one way), or I travel in with my mum and get the bus back or a lift with a friend's mother who works nearby and passes through my village on her way home.

I've seen a lot of movement in the UK towards smaller cars, but also towards using diesel (which is more economical and in some cases now, more environmentally friendly) in bigger cars - cars with engines as small as 1.4 are now commonly available with a TDi version. Fuel costs are also going to stop so many people buying 4x4s, I suspect, along with the tax the government are imposing on bigger or off-road vehicles.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I don't drive yet (I've yet to go and sit the test) so the gas prices haven't been directly effecting my life. The worst it has got for me is probably the increased bus fare; but even then I don't catch the bus often.

The increasing gas prices are having an effect on not just how people are travelling, but also the daily cost of living with regards to food and necessities. I've seen some products simply double or triple in price since the past year and combined with the current economic recession, I can only be glad that I'm not out there working and living on my own yet.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    eh.....the beginning of last year was killer. I say right now it's okay. But man don't you miss those times when gas was like 89 cent? Dang did we take that for granted or what? (even though I couldn't drive then) lol

Leeky

I herd u liek mudkipz
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    I'm glad it's lowered, but it'll go alot higher soon, once we get out of this depression

Auistle

seTranquility.
    Years
  • I don't drive that much (I really don't like it!), but...

I've not really been affected by fuel prices that much - if I drive it's only sort of the three miles to work and back, and my car is small and economical with its 998cc engine.

Of course, there's also the matter of when you've got your car to your destination, you've got to park it. Luckily enough the County Council, where I work, operates a park and ride service where you can park cheaply on the edge of town and a bus service operates every 15 minutes at peak times to the car park.

I do normally get the bus to and from work (only £0.90 one way), or I travel in with my mum and get the bus back or a lift with a friend's mother who works nearby and passes through my village on her way home.

I've seen a lot of movement in the UK towards smaller cars, but also towards using diesel (which is more economical and in some cases now, more environmentally friendly) in bigger cars - cars with engines as small as 1.4 are now commonly available with a TDi version. Fuel costs are also going to stop so many people buying 4x4s, I suspect, along with the tax the government are imposing on bigger or off-road vehicles.

I agree with you all the way, but gas prices are lowering and such. Yes, yes, the fuel costs are also going to stop so many people. ;/

I don't drive yet (I've yet to go and sit the test) so the gas prices haven't been directly effecting my life. The worst it has got for me is probably the increased bus fare; but even then I don't catch the bus often.

The increasing gas prices are having an effect on not just how people are travelling, but also the daily cost of living with regards to food and necessities. I've seen some products simply double or triple in price since the past year and combined with the current economic recession, I can only be glad that I'm not out there working and living on my own yet.

Again, I agree. The increasing gas price does have an effect on necessities. I have also seen that. :3

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Ah, wonderful gas speculation. Original gas price rises were first due to speculation that we were going to OH NO RUN OUT. Then gas prices become unreasonable and gas was being sold by FAR MORE than what the per barrel price was, more so than it was previously. (I can't remember the exact percentage increase, Google may be your friend but it can also bring up many inaccurate and biased sites if you don't know what to look for) Personally, I think that prices were raised simply because companies thought they could get away with it, however there is no real.. proof.. of this..

Recently, the barrel price hasn't gone down by much but this was the first time we saw any significant price decrease. However -recent- increases in prices are due to an increase of taxes on gas. Gas taxes go back to the state and is used for money related to road repairs. Because many states weren't getting enough money from the taxes because people still weren't buying any more gas due to people changing their lifestyles because of the increased gas prices, the tax on gas has been raised in most cities.

However, gas prices are still the lowest they've been in over a year, which I'm grateful for this.

Auistle

seTranquility.
    Years
  • Ah, wonderful gas speculation. Original gas price rises were first due to speculation that we were going to OH NO RUN OUT. Then gas prices become unreasonable and gas was being sold by FAR MORE than what the per barrel price was, more so than it was previously. (I can't remember the exact percentage increase, Google may be your friend but it can also bring up many inaccurate and biased sites if you don't know what to look for) Personally, I think that prices were raised simply because companies thought they could get away with it, however there is no real.. proof.. of this..

I agree, there is no real proof.

Recently, the barrel price hasn't gone down by much but this was the first time we saw any significant price decrease. However -recent- increases in prices are due to an increase of taxes on gas. Gas taxes go back to the state and is used for money related to road repairs. Because many states weren't getting enough money from the taxes because people still weren't buying any more gas due to people changing their lifestyles because of the increased gas prices, the tax on gas has been raised in most cities.

Mhm.

However, gas prices are still the lowest they've been in over a year, which I'm grateful for this.

I'm grateful as well, but the thing is, I've heard that they're going to raise it again, which would be a complete disaster in my point of view. I like it this way. By the way, kudos to you, Armaina, for making such a good post. :D

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I'm grateful as well, but the thing is, I've heard that they're going to raise it again, which would be a complete disaster in my point of view. I like it this way. By the way, kudos to you, Armaina, for making such a good post. :D
    Yeah the tax increase to gas that I was referring to is most likely the increase you have heard of.

However, in an odd way there is one upside to this was the large increase in gas prices forced people to be more conscious of their consumption of gas and made people buy more fuel efficient cars, look for car pools or public transportation ect. Which well, is a good thing, it's just sad it took such a huge jump in prices for people to be more conservative with gas.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • Gas prices were ghastly during the summer, I hated wasting money for gas that was $4+. Luckily my parents pay for all my gas money though. Regardless, I'm still glad gas prices are below $2. /o/

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Gas prices have gone down here, to below $2, so they aren't affecting my family as much as they were in the summer.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Anywhere in the 1.90-2.10 range is fine by me. I can fill my car for 18 dollars and it'll last me 330 miles. I really don't think gas prices are the big deal everyone makes them out to be.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • When there's war, the petrol prices rise. More oil is being used for planes and tanks, so there isn't much oil for us. Same thing goes for gas. Apparently, gas is cheaper than oil and it is more plentiful. So armies use it, bringing the gas prices up as well. If everyone used solar energy, there wouldn't be this issue. The sun always generates energy, doesn't it?

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
  • It doesn't affect me since the Gas Prices in my country remains at the same normal price. Gas Prices are affected because of the Gaza War.

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I really don't think gas prices are the big deal everyone makes them out to be.
    Sooo, people having to pay double what they should for gas, making cost of living go up simply because we all have to go to work, the price groceries and products go up simply because it costs so much to transport them, also increasing cost of living.

Not to mention horrible price rises in travel due to increased fuel prices, this has had an effect on recreation, but this has also had an affect on business which costs businesses more which of course trickles down to the lower departments and who knows, causes cuts in office materials, hours, jobs? That I don't know, it depends on how each company deals with it. But no matter what way you look at it, this dramatic effect on all parts of our lives.

How is this not a big deal?

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Gas prices will rise again, if you speculate after diving deep into theories of economics. But economics talks about a situation without weird changes.
    The world, on the other hand, changes very fast, and in various ways. So, you can never tell.

But something tells me they are going to drop instead.
    They already dropped by more than 50% in the world market. You won't find this part in google.
    But the thing is, even if it dropped by such a huge amount, the goverment has a whole lot of reasons to not let it lower more than 5%.
    I know that has happened in my country. I'm guessing the same is going to happen elsewhere...

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I do drive, actually, but on the flip side it's usually to work (I work at Target, therefore if I myself actually need things that haven't been bought by my parents during grocery shopping, I can snag it there), or to hangout with friends, which never eats up much gas.

Plus thanks to fun little vehicles, our cars get 29+ miles per gallon and I can fill up my tank for just under $20.

No worries though, we're well on our way to implementing just how to go about putting solar panels on cars or running things that need gas on electricity instead. We can figure it out in due time. =] I actually wouldn't be surprised if we see the first innovation of such things in the next five years (well..the mass production of such things, anyway.)

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
  • Can't drive xD
    But I tend to walk/ride a bike if possible. We live about a 10 minute walk (each way) away from the grocery store, shorter if you ride a bike, since its downhill getting there (more difficult to get back, but its not a steep incline anyway.) From there its not too difficult to get into town, even though there's few stores that are of interest, mostly restaurants, the library, and all these special occasion stores, a cinema, I think, but its small and not too well known, so yeah, to get groceries and stuff we don't need to drive. I've heard my parents complain a bit about gas prices for long journeys and to work and back though.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I only fill up my tank around once a month, so gas prices really don' affect me all that much. I think the most I've ever paid for a tank of gas was around $27, I paid $19 just last week for a full tank.

Back