• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    I got one of those Samsung Galaxy Players for Christmas. I've never really been able to mess around with Android before, because I wasn't willing to shell out for an off-contract Android device that can run anything newer than Froyo.
    Since the SGP runs Gingerbread and has basically the same specs as the Galaxy S phones, I'm hoping that it will get ICS same as the SGS.

btw anyone know any good free GBA Emulators or other great Free android apps i Should try?

There is one called 'GameBoid Lite' it is no longer available in the Android Market, however you should be able to find it on the internet. I have version 2.4.3 and it works great. You have to download the Game Boy Advance's BIOS. The developer did not include it with the .apk. However Google will help you on your pirating journey. Works great for playing Pokemon on the go. ;3

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Honestly I don't see the point of leaving the plastic on the laptop xD You're gonna get the plastic scratched anyways.

Sorta changing the topic guys...It's been a week for me trying to fix a 7-inch mini netbook my sister got for Christmas, and I'm starting to think that she got a dud instead of a deal. Note to self: stay away from Windows CE.

Heh. You know, my old laptop had the plastic removed as soon as it's removed. I wonder why I didn't this time...

If the netbook's running Windows CE instead of 7, chances are it's not what you think it is.

Years
    Sorta changing the topic guys...It's been a week for me trying to fix a 7-inch mini netbook my sister got for Christmas, and I'm starting to think that she got a dud instead of a deal. Note to self: stay away from Windows CE.
    Netbook with Windows CE?..... BURN IT. Or at least put linux or something that can actually do something :3

There is one called 'GameBoid Lite' it is no longer available in the Android Market, however you should be able to find it on the internet. I have version 2.4.3 and it works great. You have to download the Game Boy Advance's BIOS. The developer did not include it with the .apk. However Google will help you on your pirating journey. Works great for playing Pokemon on the go. ;3
    Or since your going to pirate a game why not just pirate the app as well? I never understood why people think to charge for emulators and stuff because your breaking the law by downloading the bios anyway so why not go the whole hog and pirate the emulator too?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Or since your going to pirate a game why not just pirate the app as well? I never understood why people think to charge for emulators and stuff because your breaking the law by downloading the bios anyway so why not go the whole hog and pirate the emulator too?

Why do that when the Gameboid app has a free download from Google's first link when you search "Gamboid"
    Anyway, That works great for GBA games. Does anyone have any other apps i should try out or that they find useful?

Years
    I remember it cost a few pound when it was back in the android store.
    But for what I did for apps is I looked at what I did most on my computer and tried to find apps that let me do that on my phone too.
    Maybe you could try that? :3 Or at least tell us what you do most so we can help \o/

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You know, I don't run emulators on my phone because I don't think it has the right controls.

Changing the topic again: I think I must be that one guy still using Internet Explorer after all these years.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Yeah. I use Firefox because it has many add-ons and good security settings. Also browsing with it is faster and I like it's look. Last time I used Internet Explorer was IE 7. After that newer versions have been worse than old versions.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    Youprobably are, and there's multiple reasons why xD
    ButI must ask, why are you still using it? x]

I just had to use IE for this post. IE9 is actually a very good browser. IE10* is really quick, and it finally has build in spell check.

Internet Explorer is not as bad as it used to be. Microsoft is building agreat browser. I use chrome because it syncs my bookmarks across my computers,built in spell check, and good speed. IE 9 Is fairly quick, does do hardwareacceleration better than chrome. IE user base could fall below 50% market share by March.

* IE10 is still in beta, currently its pretty good, but they could still mess it up by launch.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021

You probably are, and there's multiple reasons why xD

But I must ask, why are you still using it? x]

I think I have been using it all these years, ever since I got connected... I have also used Firefox and Chrome. I quite like Chrome, but I don't think I am fond of using Firefox. And these two browsers seems to slow down into a crawl when the graphics get a bit too fancy... Chrome definitely has issues with fixed backgrounds. Really apparent with Route 167 here.

Yeah. I use Firefox because it has many add-ons and good security settings. Also browsing with it is faster and I like it's look. Last time I used Internet Explorer was IE 7. After that newer versions have been worse than old versions.

I think I love the fact that both FF and Chrome have loads and loads of add-ons. On the other hand, though, it seems like that IE is headed for plugin-lessness. (tip: you don't need to get an adblocker since 9)

I just had to use IE for this post. IE9 is actually a very good browser. IE10* is really quick, and it finally has build in spell check.

Internet Explorer is not as bad as it used to be. Microsoft is building agreat browser. I use chrome because it syncs my bookmarks across my computers,built in spell check, and good speed. IE 9 Is fairly quick, does do hardwareacceleration better than chrome. IE user base could fall below 50% market share by March.

* IE10 is still in beta, currently its pretty good, but they could still mess it up by launch.

IE10 seems to be a bit messed up when it comes to JS that might not have ben properly written. However it does have awesome CSS3 support and real fast. (sites, using vendor-specific extensions is a very bad idea! Whoever made the
    BBCode tag clearly didn't think it through.

By the way, that, browser is also the best when it comes to typing Pokemon on a standard US keyboard. Autoorrect, anyone? It's in the defaults. :p

Last edited:

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
    Years
    alright i have search all over the net and i can't find out how to make my nvidia geforce gt 520m to take over the built in Intel hd graphics. i am using a Acer Aspire 5742G. plwase help because the graphic performance sucks with the intel.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    You know, I don't run emulators on my phone because I don't think it has the right controls.

Changing the topic again: I think I must be that one guy still using Internet Explorer after all these years.
    Nope, many people I know still use it. In my area, most people use Internet Explorer, followed by Chrome and Safari is used the least in my area. I, however, am the hipster using Firefox. I haven't used Internet Explorer for a few years now and I don't think it's too great.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Just a question, currently I have a 10 mb/s connection currently (it's wireless) and this week I'm getting a 15 mb/s (connected) connection. With my current connection the max download speed is about 176 kb/s so I was wondering, what would the 15mb/s have? Will it be a great deal better?

Years
    Just a question, currently I have a 10 mb/s connection currently (it's wireless) and this week I'm getting a 15 mb/s (connected) connection. With my current connection the max download speed is about 176 kb/s so I was wondering, what would the 15mb/s have? Will it be a great deal better?

Well, it depends on what you're doing online and how much other traffic is being put through in your area. You should be getting far better than 176 kb/s with a 10 mb/s connection, so that means there's usually a fair bit of other traffic being put through by someone (quite possibly you with streaming music or TV shows) on your connection. Because that speed you pay for is the max download speed for ALL traffic being put through your connection, and the "download speed" for the downloads you do is what bandwidth the downloads get left with after all the other traffic being pushed through to the internet is allocated space.

Years
    alright i have search all over the net and i can't find out how to make my nvidia geforce gt 520m to take over the built in Intel hd graphics. i am using a Acer Aspire 5742G. plwase help because the graphic performance sucks with the intel.
    Might help to explain what you're trying to do that needs you to install another graphics card if you don't mind me asking?

It depends really, just because it says 15mb/s doesn't mean you'll get it. That only means that that is the maximum you can get but it all depends on the site you're downloading from and your area. You might want to look into the companies internet speed near you.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years

Well at 10Mb/s the download speed you should be able to achieve is 1.2 MB/s to 900kB/s. If your speed is lower than 80% of the speed advertised call up your ISP and complain. When I was having connectivity issues, I found out that the ISP does not have to give you 100% of the advertised speed, however if it is under 80% of the speed, then you are getting ripped off.

At 15 Megabits per second you should get between 1.8 MegaBytes and 1.35 MegaBytes per second. (There are 8 bits in a byte so 15 / 8 = 1.875) (1.875 * 75% = ~1.35)

Conclusion, your either not getting what you paid for, or you are not paying for what you think you are. Now I am going to assume that '176 kb/s' is actually 176 kB/s, correct me if I am wrong. Little b means bits, capital B means bytes. That being said, if you download speed is 176 kB/s then you are getting just slightly faster than a 1 mb/s connection (1.3 to be exact).

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
    Years
    Hybrid Trainer to help you out, six months ago i bought an acer aspire 5742G with Core I5 win 7 nvidia geforce gt 520m, now to explain what i want to do (so many people have this problem, thanks acer) there is two graphics addaptors, intel HD and the nvidia, i want to disable the intel to run the invidia graphics, but there is a snag, i disable it, the nvidia disapears. i enable the intel the nvidia apears. for the past two weeks this is what i have been trying to do.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    Hybrid Trainer to help you out, six months ago i bought an acer aspire 5742G with Core I5 win 7 nvidia geforce gt 520m, now to explain what i want to do (so many people have this problem, thanks acer) there is two graphics addaptors, intel HD and the nvidia, i want to disable the intel to run the invidia graphics, but there is a snag, i disable it, the nvidia disapears. i enable the intel the nvidia apears. for the past two weeks this is what i have been trying to do.

I did a little searching on this issue, and it looks like the computers uses the dedicated graphics card on demand. So when you start to do something intensive the computer switch from the Intel to NVIDA. The integrated graphics use less power and create less heat ,so it is used when ever possible.

EDIT:
    I can't decide. I want to get a new ultabook, but I am not sure I want another laptop. I currently have a laptop, and I like it, but I also want to sit at home at a desktop with a nice monitor. I can connect an external monitor and keyboard, but I don't have enough space on my desk for that. I have a tablet that I use for mobile browsing because my laptop is too heavy and big to be very portable. The battery still lasts an hour, but really that's not very long in today's world. I build a nice system on newegg. Core i3 2.6GHZ, 8GB DDR3, 120 SSD, blu-ray drive, all in a small formfactor case. $505 with shipping, something small and cheap for now. Or I could spend ~$1000 on a very nice ultrabook. I mean, just look at this beauty. Thoughts or suggestions, other than 'do what suits your best,' because I don't know what would suit me best. :/

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back