• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2016
Alright, I'm kind of confused here. I'm using pokemon essentials, and I'm trying to make a 2D version of XD:Gale of Darkness. So, I have already added Shadow as a type, made Shadow a weakness for non-shadow pokemon, add purifying items, edited the 9th field of Pokeballs to make them snag balls, etc.

Now, I'm wondering, what would I have to do to make certain pokemon that belong to other trainers catachable? (In this case, making Team Snagem's Shadow Pokemon Catchable.)

I'm very sorry if I'm asking a question that's against the rules. I'm kind of new to RPGMaker XP, so I have no idea how difficult this would be.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Alright, I'm kind of confused here. I'm using pokemon essentials, and I'm trying to make a 2D version of XD:Gale of Darkness. So, I have already added Shadow as a type, made Shadow a weakness for non-shadow pokemon, add purifying items, edited the 9th field of Pokeballs to make them snag balls, etc.

Now, I'm wondering, what would I have to do to make certain pokemon that belong to other trainers catachable? (In this case, making Team Snagem's Shadow Pokemon Catchable.)

I'm very sorry if I'm asking a question that's against the rules. I'm kind of new to RPGMaker XP, so I have no idea how difficult this would be.
You are confused. This isn't the Essentials thread.

Editing items.txt to designate certain Poké Balls as Snag Balls should be all you need.

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2010
A quick question for all. what is a good program for spriting to make sure i line up the sprites i made right?

Maruno

Years
A quick question for all. what is a good program for spriting to make sure i line up the sprites i made right?
Paint will do. Try using 16 separate (equal sized) blocks for each frame of a charset, and do some pixel counting (e.g. 2 pixels between the bottom of the frame and the shoes).

Alternatively, copy a frame (e.g. "left foot forward") and paste it over the "standing" frame. Then undo/redo rapidly so that you can watch the difference. If it looks right, great. If not, adjust the "left" frame and repeat.

Years
Just a re-post of my post from the Essentials thread...

Old Question: I seem to be having issues with the loadbg appearing, the resolution is 480x660 (dual screen) so I made loadbg.png the same and added the bottom part of it to the bottom half (top half is 480x320, middle is an empty space 480x20 and the bottom half is 480x320). Now when I go to the load screen, the bottom screen is still black. I did the exact same thing with the title screen earlier and it worked perfectly...not sure what is going on here.

New Question: SOLVED

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
So here is a question I am sure that has been asked a million times over.

Where is a good place to start learning to script RGSS.

Taking this into a little more depth, where is a good place to start learning to script RGSS in regards to Pokemon Essentials?

Most of what I have been checking out, is teaching me to write things that don't quite seem to pertain to what I am working with. I don't need a new window to pop up telling me hello.

Seems to me that a key element which is involved with Pokemon Essentials and scripting with it, is missing from the RGSS tutorials I have been looking at.

Maruno

Years
So here is a question I am sure that has been asked a million times over.

Where is a good place to start learning to script RGSS.

Taking this into a little more depth, where is a good place to start learning to script RGSS in regards to Pokemon Essentials?

Most of what I have been checking out, is teaching me to write things that don't quite seem to pertain to what I am working with. I don't need a new window to pop up telling me hello.

Seems to me that a key element which is involved with Pokemon Essentials and scripting with it, is missing from the RGSS tutorials I have been looking at.
Thirty seconds with Google found me RPG Revolution's RGSS tutorial section. I've only had the briefest of glances, but it looks reasonable. Just read through all that, and you'll have some idea of what's going on in Essentials.

Generally, it helps to have at least a basic knowledge of what coding looks like (e.g. know that ">=" means "greater than or equal to", what "do" loops do, what arrays look like (they involve square brackets), variables used in more than just the current def have an "@" at the front, etc.). Those basics are pretty much all there is to it, aside from a few functions that display the graphics. You'd be surprised at how little there actually is to know - everything tends to use just a couple of things but in lots of different ways.

While you're reading the tutorials, it helps to see more examples of what they're going on about. Keep Essentials open, and occasionally look through the scripts to see what you can spot and figure out. Feel free to tweak a few things and see what that affects. Learn by doing.

I'm not "the guy" to ask this kind of question to, because I'm the rare type that has an intuitive understanding of code. The only way I've learned to use RGSS is to look at Essentials and follow it through (falling back on my past experience with Fortran95 and IDL, two other programming languages). I haven't read any tutorials or anything for RGSS, so I don't know any good resources. I can't even really teach anyone, because my intuition means I don't know what the layman understands.

That's why Google is your friend.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Thirty seconds with Google found me RPG Revolution's RGSS tutorial section. I've only had the briefest of glances, but it looks reasonable. Just read through all that, and you'll have some idea of what's going on in Essentials.

Generally, it helps to have at least a basic knowledge of what coding looks like (e.g. know that ">=" means "greater than or equal to", what "do" loops do, what arrays look like (they involve square brackets), variables used in more than just the current def have an "@" at the front, etc.). Those basics are pretty much all there is to it, aside from a few functions that display the graphics. You'd be surprised at how little there actually is to know - everything tends to use just a couple of things but in lots of different ways.

While you're reading the tutorials, it helps to see more examples of what they're going on about. Keep Essentials open, and occasionally look through the scripts to see what you can spot and figure out. Feel free to tweak a few things and see what that affects. Learn by doing.

I'm not "the guy" to ask this kind of question to, because I'm the rare type that has an intuitive understanding of code. The only way I've learned to use RGSS is to look at Essentials and follow it through (falling back on my past experience with Fortran95 and IDL, two other programming languages). I haven't read any tutorials or anything for RGSS, so I don't know any good resources. I can't even really teach anyone, because my intuition means I don't know what the layman understands.

That's why Google is your friend.

I have been working with those tuts, working with them more today, proves that most of my trouble is with the libraries within Essentials. XD guess I should just read through them all one at a time eh? Thanks Maruno

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
How can I call the bag through an event in the starter kit? I lost the code for calling a script :X
The identity info:
class Window_PokemonBag < Window_DrawableCommand
Help is appreciated C:

EDIT:
Solved! Heres what I used to call the pokedex, bag should be near the same C:
scene=PokemonPokedexScene.new
screen=PokemonPokedex.new(scene)
screen.pbStartScreen

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
How can I call the bag through an event in the starter kit? I lost the code for calling a script :X
The identity info:
class Window_PokemonBag < Window_DrawableCommand
Help is appreciated C:
The easiest way is to ask this question in the Essentials thread. That's what it's there for.

You could also see how the Bag is opened from the pause menu, but that would require more effort than posting in the correct thread.

You're welcome.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, calling the Bag does not work the same way as calling the Pokédex. The stuff you added in your edit would not take into account the player using an item from the Bag.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
I know some threads don't allow this question but I checked this one's rules before asking; Where can I get D/P or HG/SS tiles/graphics to put into Advance Map?

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
I know some threads don't allow this question but I checked this one's rules before asking; Where can I get D/P or HG/SS tiles/graphics to put into Advance Map?
Wrong section -_-' get out

Maruno

Years
That's a request for graphical resources. Go to the Resource Center for that kind of thing.

Don't let Poemon put you off - he's far from representative of the lot of us.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Advance map is for rom hacking maruno, he's in the wrong section.

Maruno

Years
I didn't read that last part. I just saw a request for tiles, and assumed it was a request.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
So you didn't read everything and assumed I was wrong O_o

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
I'm developing a Pokemon game using Pokemon Essentials on RMXP. For one of the cities, i want to play a BGS in the background for wind because the city is very windy. I go to Auto-Change BGS and it doesn't play. I tried other sounds and they only play once. I tried a parallel process but it only makes the game lag. How do I make it work.
And sometimes when I enter a city the music doesnt play until I reenter it. The same problem goes with battles. And sometimes, like if the music has drums in the background, you only hear the drums but nothing else. When I reenter the map it works fine again. Why does it do that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Try deleting the Audio.dll file; poccil's custom Audio module is still a bit buggy. Deleting the file will make the game use RGSS's default Audio module.

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
Thanks! So far it works fine!

I have another problem.

In the notes.html it says:

VanishIfSwitch: If the RPG Maker XP switch with this number is ON, the event will not be shown.

So if a certain switch is on, the event wouldn't be shown. In my game, the graphic is still there. If i try to remove the graphic on the third event page, the graphic on all the pages disappear.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
When I tried to view my summary screen, I get this error:

Exception: TypeError
SpriteWindow:1419:in `bitmap='
SpriteWindow:1419:in `bitmap='
PokemonSummary:69:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonSummary:702:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonScreen:821:in `pbSummary'
PokemonScreen:1278:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonScreen:1187:in `loop'
PokemonScreen:1431:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:154:in `pbFadeOutIn'

Additional information:

I upgraded my Pokemon Essentials to a new version and put my modified summary script in. It worked on the previous version. I don't want to downgrade
Try asking in the correct thread. This one doesn't have "Essentials" written on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back